Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Buyer Beware of TG U14 NB

I actually thought TG04 was a decent team this past season, and did well finishing 4th in EHF Elite. They appeared to be well coached and played above their talent level. Their top 2 D are headed to Seacoast.

That was last year. Tier 1 talent with no coach for next year. Maybe there will be a urinal in the men's room though.....

Just talked to BM... He says he's all in. Maybe you know better though? You seem to be an authority on BM. In case you missed it, all u14 full season teams significantly watered down each year. Just not enough upcoming 8th grade u14 talent from year to year. Happens every year. Pay attention. Who's looking good - full season - I'd like to know?

Kings, rats, wizards will be the top U14 FS

Definitely Kings who retain most of their team and pick up 2 strong forwards and a goalie. Rats will be strong with lots of Islanders and Eagles. Hadn’t heard the Wizards. Do they retain their team and pick up some others? Doubt they will be as strong as Kings or Rats. Obviously lots of talent dilution with a number of top players going prep, leaving FS teams for HS after the split season, top U14’s playing U16 for Islanders, Bruins, Bandits, etc. Obviously MFF will be very strong and likely be the favorite for the national championship, especially with Honeybaked falling apart. Other Detroit teams will benefit from that and perhaps Shattuck. A couple local players going to Shattuck. While there’s talent dilution here, in the rest of the country their is talent concentration on the top clubs in each area. The one exception to that locally is Seacoast Performance Academy. They are absolutely loaded on D, and have several elite forwards. Will they have a top goalie and enough depth at forward? Will also be interesting to see their development over the course of the season with more individual and team training than other teams. I suspect they will be a surprise breakout team.

Anon
Definitely Kings who retain most of their team and pick up 2 strong forwards and a goalie. Rats will be strong with lots of Islanders and Eagles. Hadn’t heard the Wizards. Do they retain their team and pick up some others? Doubt they will be as strong as Kings or Rats. Obviously lots of talent dilution with a number of top players going prep, leaving FS teams for HS after the split season, top U14’s playing U16 for Islanders, Bruins, Bandits, etc. Obviously MFF will be very strong and likely be the favorite for the national championship, especially with Honeybaked falling apart. Other Detroit teams will benefit from that and perhaps Shattuck. A couple local players going to Shattuck. While there’s talent dilution here, in the rest of the country their is talent concentration on the top clubs in each area. The one exception to that locally is Seacoast Performance Academy. They are absolutely loaded on D, and have several elite forwards. Will they have a top goalie and enough depth at forward? Will also be interesting to see their development over the course of the season with more individual and team training than other teams. I suspect they will be a surprise breakout team.
Assuming IHC 04 Elite will be very different and full of 8th graders = not as competitive as Kings, Rats, etc.?

IHC 04 Elite will have different look next year. Coach taking his son and a few others to U16 Jr. Bruins, others going to Rats. Some may play IHC U15, some staying with team, will still have some good players. Won't be as competitive as Kings, Rats or SPA. CT. Jr Huskies, who ended up with the 04 Elite playoff championship, also won't be the same team, with top forward and top D both going to SPA.

Thanks for letting us know your bender will be playing for seacoast next season!

Haha, typical douceboardy response. If only it was so.

Anony
IHC 04 Elite will have different look next year. Coach taking his son and a few others to U16 Jr. Bruins, others going to Rats. Some may play IHC U15, some staying with team, will still have some good players. Won't be as competitive as Kings, Rats or SPA. CT. Jr Huskies, who ended up with the 04 Elite playoff championship, also won't be the same team, with top forward and top D both going to SPA.
also hearing Huskies goalie moving on to AYHL team

Where will BJE and Terriers fit in? Also behind Kings, Rats, SPA?

Which AYHL team is Huskies goalie moving to? My money would be on NJA, otherwise why make the move? It’s within driving distance from CT, will be one of the better U14 teams around, plays a national schedule, will likely advance to nationals from NJ/Eastern Penn District where they don’t have to go through MFF in New England District, etc. No doubt one more year of club hockey before he goes prep the following year.

A number of BJE moving to Rats with Islanders. BJE will still have a team, but unclear what it will look like. May have spots.

BJT has players moving to SSK, prep, HS, etc., and goalie is going U16. May have spots.

In FS U14, SSK and Rats likely to be top dogs in Mass, MFF and SPA in New England, Buffalo Sabres and NJA in NY/NJ. Some top 04 going U16.

Anon
Which AYHL team is Huskies goalie moving to? My money would be on NJA, otherwise why make the move? It’s within driving distance from CT, will be one of the better U14 teams around, plays a national schedule, will likely advance to nationals from NJ/Eastern Penn District where they don’t have to go through MFF in New England District, etc. No doubt one more year of club hockey before he goes prep the following year.

A number of BJE moving to Rats with Islanders. BJE will still have a team, but unclear what it will look like. May have spots.

BJT has players moving to SSK, prep, HS, etc., and goalie is going U16. May have spots.

In FS U14, SSK and Rats likely to be top dogs in Mass, MFF and SPA in New England, Buffalo Sabres and NJA in NY/NJ. Some top 04 going U16.
Dude, you need a geography lesson. NJ Avs are like three hours from Enfield with traffic.

What other AYHL team makes sense? If not NJ Avs, why leave Huskies for much further league games? Only makes sense to go for more national, T1EHL type schedule with a strong team. I’m sure someone in the know will chime in. Players from NJ and LI commute to MFF, and one used to commute from Boston. Goalies don’t have to go to every practice, most important for games, so easier for goalies to be on teams further away. In outlying areas compared to greater Boston, traveling long distances is much more common. Even though I did minor in geography, i’m not any good at it.

Last season the rats goalie was from Long Island and came up for games. Not a big deal. Good luck to the kid.

Anon

Really liked my analysis here, but alas the Huskies goalie is going to Elite. They are very weak at the 04 level. Interesting move. I think he had a prior relationship with them and it's certainly convenient. There is one school of thought that a weaker team can be good for a strong goalie where he sees more shots, but a .500 team in a strong league sounds about right, not a very weak team. Perhaps they are bringing in some players? Elite has certainly done that with its older teams.

Anon
Where will BJE and Terriers fit in? Also behind Kings, Rats, SPA?
BJE struggling to put together a team as all their d except 1 moved to rats. Weak d from eags will be the downfall of rats.

With what has gone on up there this past year, I would not rely much on what anyone is committed to. The program has been littered with empty promises and falling flat on commitments...

Anon
With what has gone on up there this past year, I would not rely much on what anyone is committed to. The program has been littered with empty promises and falling flat on commitments...
Which program?

Late April, most programs completely set by now and solid players already committed.

BJE putting together a pretty strong HS team with some who played U14 last season, coached by Rivers coach

Anon
BJE putting together a pretty strong HS team with some who played U14 last season, coached by Rivers coach
Of the really strong local Prep programs, Rivers is the best destination. Very goid academically, very well coached and in the thick of it every year. Only downside is in league schedule full of Ebhardt opponent's which have been pretty weak in recent years

Anon
Anon
Of the really strong local Prep programs, Rivers is the best destination. Very goid academically, very well coached and in the thick of it every year. Only downside is in league schedule full of Ebhardt opponent's which have been pretty weak in recent years
It is not strong academically, unless you are a classically trained musician. The campus pales in comparison to most area Prep schools. Team has had a nice run, but it is day only, so that limits the access to athletes in the future. And the coach's son goes there, daughter already graduated. What happens when he doesn't have kids there any more? He can coach anywhere, and it's a long drive from Marblehead every day.

Anon
Mostly FS U14 teams have been discussed in this thread, which are much needed for many players whether by choice as the better option, they will be in 8th grade, etc. I had heard BJE are putting together a U14 SS team, but haven’t heard much about it other than they are doing it and may have some strong HS, prep players. Rivers coach may be a good draw. Smart move to give those players a solid option, and allows BJE to get the jump by a year on U15/16 SS programs like Rats, CCW, etc. for future player retention, etc. I wonder how many of the Rats, SSK, etc. FS players will actually leave for HS. I suspect those teams will look different after the first half of the season, especially Rats.

The challenge is always that the following year the strongest U15 players typically want to play U16 for development, and because they are playing against older players anyway in HS, prep, plus U15 is relatively new, at least nationally. I think that is further confirmed by the fact that at least a half dozen 04 are playing U16 this coming season, although that is on FS teams. FS seems to be replacing public HS as the better hockey option, and is much less expensive than prep. Also a great route to prep for so. or jr. season. CCW U16 (SS) was a very heavy 02 team this past season. They were good, but not as good as the top primarily 01 U16 SS teams.

Because this past season’s U14 BJE, BJT and Rats were all good, I suspect there will be a fair number of 03 playing U16 on BJE, Rats, etc. U16 CCW probably has the strongest core of retuning 02 for next season and will still be very good despite losing 3 of their 02 to the NTDP (2 F and G). They may try to fill in with 02 but will definitely look at the stronger 03. BJE had the most talented U14 team this past season, so will be interesting to see if some of them play BJE U16. BJE U16 did pick up the 02 Rats goalie for next season. Some 03 from the mentioned teams are going to Selects U15, who will no doubt be strong again and play in all the local U16 tournaments. Selects seems to be getting more traction in Mass.

I’m curious to see how all this shakes out. Sounds like BJE may be in the mix with SSK, Rats, SPA, MFF, etc. Lots of talk but we won’t really know how good next season’s U14 teams will be until the games start. I’m also curious to see how the 04 playing U16 do, and what impact 04 will have in HS, prep, if any.

Anon
BJE SS U14 should be a contender with 2 04 who played U14 BJE, 2 strong players from Caps, BJE goalie, etc.

BJE U14 SS getting IHC forward going prep. They should be getting most of the local 04 going prep/HS, so should be a solid team.

IS it better to be a 3rd liner on a U16 team or a 1st liner on a U14 team?

Asking for a friend....

Anon

Asking for a friend....
Do you mean better for your kid or for your ego? That's an important distinction.

Anon

Asking for a friend....
It is better to be on a team with a coach with a track record of development.

After that is the quality of competition. Skating with and against better players on a consistent basis results in greater development.

After that is the ability to work with good skills guys 1:1 or in small groups. Playing beyond U14/U16 requires that a kid focus on development outside of full team practices/skills.

Sensing a theme yet?

Heard another Top Forward going to BJE

Anon
Heard another Top Forward going to BJE
Interesting...

Where did he play last season?

Heard the same thing in Chicago last week

Smart kid......

So... 2 BJE U14, 1 BJE Goalie, 2 Caps, 1 Islanders, 1 new mystery... who else

You guys are just dying to name names. Is 14 old enough to just post the d@mn roster? Seacoast seems to think so. All of the national-bound teams' rosters must be set by now, so it should no longer be rumor.

anon
You guys are just dying to name names. Is 14 old enough to just post the d@mn roster? Seacoast seems to think so. All of the national-bound teams' rosters must be set by now, so it should no longer be rumor.
All the rosters will come out eventually. Looks like seacoast will only have 6 players next season based on what’s online!

Anon
anon
You guys are just dying to name names. Is 14 old enough to just post the d@mn roster? Seacoast seems to think so. All of the national-bound teams\' rosters must be set by now, so it should no longer be rumor.
All the rosters will come out eventually. Looks like seacoast will only have 6 players next season based on what’s online!
Are you looking at Seacoast Spartans or Seacoast Performance Academy (SPA)? SPA has 17 players listed. Top F and D from Huskies, top 2 D from TG, top scorer in E9, big Euro F, top D from Anaheim Jr. Ducks, Carolina Jr. Hurricanes, Vermont Flames (03 Team), etc. Big team too, especially on D.

Anony
Anon
anon
You guys are just dying to name names. Is 14 old enough to just post the d@mn roster? Seacoast seems to think so. All of the national-bound teams\\\' rosters must be set by now, so it should no longer be rumor.
Are you looking at Seacoast Spartans or Seacoast Performance Academy (SPA)? SPA has 17 players listed. Top F and D from Huskies, top 2 D from TG, top scorer in E9, big Euro F, top D from Anaheim Jr. Ducks, Carolina Jr. Hurricanes, Vermont Flames (03 Team), etc. Big team too, especially on D.
He didn't realize there was a difference....

And no goalie

SPA has a goalie, although don’t know anything about him. Many good teams this past season did not have strong goalies. There were some not so strong teams with really good goalies.

SPA has a team with a full roster. TG does not and is still reaching out to players. Maybe TG can get some players from their half season or Tier 1 team? Oh crap they don't have a half season or Tier 1 team.

I'm sure the Govs Academy AD will be thrilled to hear that the new coach hired to turn around the worst ISL hockey program is "all in" on a FS U14 team at TG. BTW I am so sorry your kid plays for Top Gun.