Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: US H.L. 02 draft tonight

Anon
anon
I\'m not saying the New England 02\'s are great, but the USHL drafts kids more likely to play, not just the best kids. 02\'s from New England are far less likely to travel to Iowa as a 16 year old then an 02 from Michigan. Teams know this, and draft appropriately.
1. It's not the US H.L.

2. They don't expect 16 year olds. They want the boys to start paying when they are 18, maybe 17. Most 16 year olds are used sparingly. The physical grind requires mature strength.

3. they don't draft MA kids because they don't see MA kids. If you want to be drafted the best route is prep or T1EHL.
Your an idiot, each USHL team has a New England Scout, plenty of kids are drafted from New England, not just this age group. My kid was drafted in the 3rd round 5 years ago, left Prep early and played two season in the USHL

Anon
Great Ma hockey development going on 4 Ma kids out of 160 02s JOKE.
Proof that this state is not developing.
Mass Players:
00' class had 2 players make the NTDP, 11 players drafted in Phase 1 USHL draft
01' class had 3 players make the NTDP, 9 players drafted in Phase 1 USHL draft
02' class had 2 players make the NTDP, 4 players drafted in Phase 1 USHL draft

This draft is for the future of the programs. None are excepted to play for 2 yrs.
it’s the fact that MA hockey is falling behind in developing top talent.
New rinks , programs and skill sessions at every exit off any main route/highway in Ma.
It’s all Watered down!

Anon
This draft is for the future of the programs. None are excepted to play for 2 yrs.
it’s the fact that MA hockey is falling behind in developing top talent.
New rinks , programs and skill sessions at every exit off any main route/highway in Ma.
It’s all Watered down!
When everyone is special, no one is.

A couple buddies called last night from NY and NJ, their 02's were drafted last night, but couldn't get the aid to get into Prep this past year. Kids are B+ students and couldn't get any aid. Everyone has a route to pick I guess.

anon
A couple buddies called last night from NY and NJ, their 02's were drafted last night, but couldn't get the aid to get into Prep this past year. Kids are B+ students and couldn't get any aid. Everyone has a route to pick I guess.
You have buddies calling you to brag about their kids? Shouldn't it have been the other way around?

It's not so much if they are or not developing here but a primary issue is too many kids can't cut mommy's apron string and pack-up and go and this gives scouts, teams and this league a reason to pass on a lot of N.E. kids. That's one issue and another is there aren't too many kids in this region who are actively marketed to the USHL teams. Here it's 'prep, prep, prep!' and this turns a lot of the teams off. "Oh do I want my kid graduating from Nobles or Sioux Falls metropolitan high school?" Beleive me they've heard that too many times.

Love the public high school kid a few years ago who went out there and made a team during a summer camp and when the coach called him he took a pass. Story is the coach said to the kid's dad, "you don't understand, players don't turn US down." Kid just didn't want to play.

So why should they bother drafting a N.E. kid unless he's serious or comes from an NHL pedigree where the parents knew how there game works?

anon
It's not so much if they are or not developing here but a primary issue is too many kids can't cut mommy's apron string and pack-up and go and this gives scouts, teams and this league a reason to pass on a lot of N.E. kids. That's one issue and another is there aren't too many kids in this region who are actively marketed to the USHL teams. Here it's 'prep, prep, prep!' and this turns a lot of the teams off. "Oh do I want my kid graduating from Nobles or Sioux Falls metropolitan high school?" Beleive me they've heard that too many times.

Love the public high school kid a few years ago who went out there and made a team during a summer camp and when the coach called him he took a pass. Story is the coach said to the kid's dad, "you don't understand, players don't turn US down." Kid just didn't want to play.

So why should they bother drafting a N.E. kid unless he's serious or comes from an NHL pedigree where the parents knew how there game works?
People have to understand that most of the country plays full season hockey - the outliers are New England and Minnesota. New England has a mix of jr teams, tier 1 league, etc but the preferred route is that of prep hockey. Minnesotas preferred route is local high school hockey. The rest of the country are full season teams (tier 1 league, etc.). With the USHL based in the midwest it does focus more on players from that region from full season teams. Tier 1 hockey in New England is basically non-existant other than BA (good luck with that travel and cost). As one poster said - its not that the talent isnt being developed in Mass its just a different system. Prep had over 125+ kids verbally committed to colleges last season = results.

Just pump the breaks there just a little bit. Many of the "125+ kids verbally committed to colleges last season = results" is a bit misleading. Many of these kids had verbally committed to college before they ever played a single prep game. And as we know, a verbal commitment is about as meaningful as the paper it isn't written on.