Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Best Summer Activity

anon
Anon
Agreed. We started our town summer league and the baseball kids were wheezing after a shift on the ice. The lax kids are working hard but not out of shape. Baseball is not a great sport for a hockey player. Run track, play lacrosse, or even tennis. Anything that keeps them fit. Sitting in a dugout for 2 hours on a Saturday is not improving anything.
LMBO! Because your kid has asthma and wheezing on the ice you are lumping in everyone else to make yourself feel better for your kid being a failure? Please, give the baseball playing kid two stints on the ice to get his wind back and bam he is back skating circles around your little tennis superstar. What a joke...
I second this guy. My son is more wiped out after two baseball doubleheaders in a weekend than he is after a hockey tournament weekend. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that the baseball you see at the town field is the same as baseball as it's played in the higher level leagues. You wouldn't do that for hockey.

C'mon, seriously? Not knocking baseball, but a baseball game is more skill based than a body workout. To your point, I can see if you are talking about a pitcher or catcher, but the rest are standing around or sitting for the majority of the time. And a tennis player is moving throughout an entire match. Maybe baseball player (other than pitcher or catcher) is just wiped from merely wearing that uniform out in the sun and heat sweating all day. Guess I can also see your comparison being true if comparing the pitcher & catcher to the hockey player who sees no pp or pk time and only plays every 3rd shift. Generally speaking though, imo, there's no comparison. Know an elite level baseball player who playes games all day & often doesn't even need (or takes) a shower after the games before he heads out to play with friends.

A good lax, soccer or tennis player is going to exert themselves more than a baseball player would.

Fact, not opinion.

Agree with above.

Seriously?
C'mon, seriously? Not knocking baseball, but a baseball game is more skill based than a body workout. To your point, I can see if you are talking about a pitcher or catcher, but the rest are standing around or sitting for the majority of the time. And a tennis player is moving throughout an entire match. Maybe baseball player (other than pitcher or catcher) is just wiped from merely wearing that uniform out in the sun and heat sweating all day. Guess I can also see your comparison being true if comparing the pitcher & catcher to the hockey player who sees no pp or pk time and only plays every 3rd shift. Generally speaking though, imo, there's no comparison. Know an elite level baseball player who playes games all day & often doesn't even need (or takes) a shower after the games before he heads out to play with friends.
That's what it is, standing around in the sun, compounded by heat. Ever spend a day at the beach and come back drained?

If you think about what physical exertion is from a physiological perspective, baseball isn't it, other than starting pitchers and catchers.

Anon
Baseball !

may not translate to the nhl, and I know all you lax snobs hate baseball, but lots of high level high school players and college players play baseball and hockey and are pretty good at both.

I have seen a direct correlation between the two sports more than any other sport !

You show me a kid that is a hockey player and a very good baseball player and I bet they are a pretty good hockey player too !
the same correlation exits with lax.

The best kids on our town lax team are very good hockey players. It's just a choice which sport the kid wants to play.

Anon
Anon
Baseball !

may not translate to the nhl, and I know all you lax snobs hate baseball, but lots of high level high school players and college players play baseball and hockey and are pretty good at both.

I have seen a direct correlation between the two sports more than any other sport !

You show me a kid that is a hockey player and a very good baseball player and I bet they are a pretty good hockey player too !
the same correlation exits with lax.

The best kids on our town lax team are very good hockey players. It's just a choice which sport the kid wants to play.
You do know that the best hockey players would be the best lax players on your team even if that was the first time they picked up a stick !!

I'm not too sure about "...like most NHL and other pro athletes he is a freak athlete." Look at the NHL Draft Combine scores and it is pretty amazing how few of the scores are all that good. It would be interesting to compare some of the scores across sports but I think very few qualify as top decile high school athletes let alone 'freaks.'