email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Brick Series Beat Down

AnOn
How many kids were cut that should have made it? Didnt they take 7 or 8 kids from the same team? I’m all for the local kids. That seems like a lot from one Team. The Hall Of Fame 06 Flames didn’t even have that many from their team for the Brick.
6 of the 17 kids are from the Jr Eagles. Also, 2 kids from Canada.

Today they played the Toronto Bulldogs and played well. They did lose 1-0 as Toronto scored an early PP goal. This is a solid team.

It's a solid group, maybe a little down from the 08 group they've usually put together. missing a couple Fed kids who play for BJB in the past and would've helped but had to play for CJR. Haven't seen them play just sounds like their scoring punch isn't quite there.

The BJB Brick Team is just fine - worry about yourself and when to flip your next burger.

How does that work? Can kids pick CJR or Bruins? I didn’t know kids/parents could pick who they want their kid to play for.

anon
How does that work? Can kids pick CJR or Bruins? I didn’t know kids/parents could pick who they want their kid to play for.
You can't pick to play for CJR or BJB. It depends on where you live. BJB has a protected area of New England, except CT and VT.

http://bostonjuniorbruins.com/teams/brick/the-brick-team-qa

anon
anon
You can't pick to play for CJR or BJB. It depends on where you live. BJB has a protected area of New England, except CT and VT.

That's not entirely true. Yes, each team has protected areas but I believe each team is allowed up to 4 kids from out of area. I know of parents from MA who have taken their kids to CJR tryouts. I have never heard of a kid making both teams and having to decide but I'm sure it's happened.

The Brick is a great experience that doesn't come close to outweighing the spend. (I have done it)

It is also a huge wake-up call to dads (including myself) who thought their kid was a high end player. Parents go out there thinking their superstar is a stud and come back with heir tail between their legs. The flight back looking at the standings on the app and looking where your kid was on the scoring chart makes you sweat, then you go check you bank balances.... Trust me, humbling.

anon
anon

That's true for the Brick year, but not for other years. There are two kids who have played with this 08 BJB team the last three years, one from CT and one from NY. Both strong players. If they wanted to play in the Brick, they had to play with CJR this year because of the Brick Tournament's protected area charters. Next year, they could go back and play with BJB if they wanted to.

anon
anon
anon
You can\'t pick to play for CJR or BJB. It depends on where you live. BJB has a protected area of New England, except CT and VT.

That's true for the Brick year, but not for other years. There are two kids who have played with this 08 BJB team the last three years, one from CT and one from NY. Both strong players. If they wanted to play in the Brick, they had to play with CJR this year because of the Brick Tournament's protected area charters. Next year, they could go back and play with BJB if they wanted to.
If it's not for Brick, nobody cares who plays on what summer team. I think to play on a Brick team outside your geographical area, you need a waiver from the home region's organization.

..., or they could be both so smoked from playing more hockey than any nhl’r and decide to tell dad to stick it and play town soccer, lax or baseball like normal humans.
We’ll have to just wait and see.
Can’t wait!
Riveting...

0-2 start for the home team. Thats what happens when you take the friends, family, & payoff route instead of taking the best kids available. I am sure it happens everywhere but CM is the master at it. Too bad because there are some really good kids on that team. It would be nice to see a local team compete with the better North American Teams.

Give it a rest buddy...sorry your kid didn't make the cut...

It doesn't matter at this age anyhow. Been through it already with two kids. The "super stars" at squirts are almost always a different list of players when they get to bantam and above where it does start to matter. Sit back and enjoy your kids journey...

anon
0-2 start for the home team. Thats what happens when you take the friends, family, & payoff route instead of taking the best kids available. I am sure it happens everywhere but CM is the master at it. Too bad because there are some really good kids on that team. It would be nice to see a local team compete with the better North American Teams.
Not a CM thing, it's the landscape in the area. See my note yesterday 9:25 AM. Parents only have themselves to blame, and it's getting worse every year. Pretty soon MA will be forgotten at the national level.

Anon
anon
Not a CM thing, it's the landscape in the area. See my note yesterday 9:25 AM. Parents only have themselves to blame, and it's getting worse every year. Pretty soon MA will be forgotten at the national level.
"Parents only have themselves to blame, and it's getting worse every year. Pretty soon MA will be forgotten at the national level." Ok genius, then what is the solution. I feel MA hockey is getting better every year. Sure talent gets deluded but doesn't this happen everywhere? Some birth years are stronger than others again doesn't this happen everywhere? If you know so much and have all the answers, where would you start your kid playing. Canada, East or West? Minnesota, which district? Illinois? Michigan, North or South? Florida, Penn., CaLi. I know Sweden, Russia or Finland. So what do we do know it all?

anon
Anon
anon
Not a CM thing, it\'s the landscape in the area. See my note yesterday 9:25 AM. Parents only have themselves to blame, and it\'s getting worse every year. Pretty soon MA will be forgotten at the national level.
"Parents only have themselves to blame, and it's getting worse every year. Pretty soon MA will be forgotten at the national level." Ok genius, then what is the solution. I feel MA hockey is getting better every year. Sure talent gets deluded but doesn't this happen everywhere? Some birth years are stronger than others again doesn't this happen everywhere? If you know so much and have all the answers, where would you start your kid playing. Canada, East or West? Minnesota, which district? Illinois? Michigan, North or South? Florida, Penn., CaLi. I know Sweden, Russia or Finland. So what do we do know it all?
What crickets, that's what I thought.

Beat down today by the Western Selects. Too much for them in 2nd period. Another tough one tomorrow. They face the Alberta team. They'll be 0-3. It's over tomorrow.

CJR looks legit. Outplayed by Jr Canucks today, but got them to OT and took advantage.

Thanks for the analysis, CJR dad. Get out the shoe lifts. Not one CJR dad over 5’6”. Bad odds long-term.

anon
anon
Anon
anon
Not a CM thing, it\\\\\\\'s the landscape in the area. See my note yesterday 9:25 AM. Parents only have themselves to blame, and it\\\\\\\'s getting worse every year. Pretty soon MA will be forgotten at the national level.
\\\"Parents only have themselves to blame, and it\\\'s getting worse every year. Pretty soon MA will be forgotten at the national level.\\\" Ok genius, then what is the solution. I feel MA hockey is getting better every year. Sure talent gets deluded but doesn\\\'t this happen everywhere? Some birth years are stronger than others again doesn\\\'t this happen everywhere? If you know so much and have all the answers, where would you start your kid playing. Canada, East or West? Minnesota, which district? Illinois? Michigan, North or South? Florida, Penn., CaLi. I know Sweden, Russia or Finland. So what do we do know it all?
What crickets, that\'s what I thought.
It's a holiday, Skippy. Sorry you have no social life. I'll answer your diatribe tomorrow or Thursday.

08s are stacked ! And also are 0-3 staring 0-4 in the face

Anon
08s are stacked ! And also are 0-3 staring 0-4 in the face
Why does it seem like there are grown men gloating about the fact the team isn't doing well? I don't understand how adults can be gleeful that a group of 10 year olds are losing games. Grown men so very salty about their kid not being there. It's pitiful.

Could be a Hockey mom why you assume it’s a grown man?

Man woman doesn’t matter. This is a great group of kids. Parents are a bunch of ego driven maniac tool bags. I feel bad for the players who are doing their best. But so happy these idiot parents are getting the reality check they need. And no. My kid didn’t even try out for the Brick team so not salty at all.

parent when kid makes the brick team:
"My kid made the brick team! Too bad your bender didn't!"

after said brick team gets pasted:
"Hey! They're only ten-year-old kids. What's wrong with you guys?"

Anon
parent when kid makes the brick team:
"My kid made the brick team! Too bad your bender didn't!"

after said brick team gets pasted:
"Hey! They're only ten-year-old kids. What's wrong with you guys?"
Haha...spot on

Anon
anon
anon
Anon
anon
Not a CM thing, it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s the landscape in the area. See my note yesterday 9:25 AM. Parents only have themselves to blame, and it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s getting worse every year. Pretty soon MA will be forgotten at the national level.
\\\\\\\"Parents only have themselves to blame, and it\\\\\\\'s getting worse every year. Pretty soon MA will be forgotten at the national level.\\\\\\\" Ok genius, then what is the solution. I feel MA hockey is getting better every year. Sure talent gets deluded but doesn\\\\\\\'t this happen everywhere? Some birth years are stronger than others again doesn\\\\\\\'t this happen everywhere? If you know so much and have all the answers, where would you start your kid playing. Canada, East or West? Minnesota, which district? Illinois? Michigan, North or South? Florida, Penn., CaLi. I know Sweden, Russia or Finland. So what do we do know it all?
What crickets, that\\\'s what I thought.
It's a holiday, Skippy. Sorry you have no social life. I'll answer your diatribe tomorrow or Thursday.
The athletes here are no different than in other parts of the country - no better, no worse. The advantage kids in this area have it availability of ice. I've talked with parents from CA, TN, and other places. There's one rink and the next closest is an hour or more away.

The second advantage is that hockey is as prominent here as anywhere in the country, probably outside MN, so it gets the attention of the best athletes, as opposed to football, baseball or basketball. They don't have to play elsewhere, they can play here. But we have to think differently. We're losing ground. The 1997 SSKs, 2000 MMF and 2001 MMF teams were nationally dominant and produced (or will in the case of the 2001 team) NHL draft picks. Since then? You hear talk about this 2004 team, that 2007 team, the "stacked" 2008s. What have they done outside of this area?

Why are we losing ground? It's the parents. They're selfish. They don't want their kid to be on a good team in a really strong league, they want their kid to be the best player on the team. They'd rather he be 1st line center on a bad team than on a second team in a really strong organization like those in MI and IL. They don't care about the team losing - it's the other kids' fault, or the coach's fault - as long as he's on the scoresheet.

So, the talent gets watered down. The teams that are assembled to be decent play most of their games against inferior local competition, where they can skate at 85% and get the W. Then when they play against better competition, they can't just flip the switch. Pros can't do it, why should we expect 10 year olds to?

What should we do? Parents need to chill the **** out. Focus on the long-term. Embrace the ADM. I don't buy USAH's stance on how older kids develop, because the things they say teenaged kids should be doing isn't what they have the NTDP kids doing. But cross ice hockey makes all the sense in the world. Professional teams are playing 3 on 3. Why? More puck touches. More time on your edges. More playmaking. More creativity. Yet, it isn't good enough for MA 7 year olds? Somehow, skating 180 feet in a straight line and scoring 7 goals is development? Ridiculous.

And parents need to be extremely conscious of the scorched earth they leave behind. There's a thread on the importance of marketing your player to get into college. That thread talks about the importance of networking. I can't tell you how many opportunities my kid has gotten, not because he was the best player, but because he works hard and both he and I try to develop positive relationships with everyone we meet. Next thing you know, boom! This person talks to that person and he has a high end advisor. He works with top skills guys. I even get cheaper ice, because the rink owner or manager knows I'm easy to deal with. Everyone in hockey is so connected, you really want to develop a positive relationship with everyone you meet. It's hard sometimes, believe me! I have along line of coaches I still have a beef with. But, you just don't know when having an unpleasant parting will come back to bite you.

I personally think that the merger of the EHF into the USPHL is, in part, about reversing the trend. I believe RG wants to see four prominent teams in this area where all the best players go to play - the Detroit mode, the Chicago model. We'll see as it unfolds.

Anon
Anon
anon
anon
Anon
anon
Not a CM thing, it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s the landscape in the area. See my note yesterday 9:25 AM. Parents only have themselves to blame, and it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s getting worse every year. Pretty soon MA will be forgotten at the national level.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Parents only have themselves to blame, and it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s getting worse every year. Pretty soon MA will be forgotten at the national level.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" Ok genius, then what is the solution. I feel MA hockey is getting better every year. Sure talent gets deluded but doesn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t this happen everywhere? Some birth years are stronger than others again doesn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t this happen everywhere? If you know so much and have all the answers, where would you start your kid playing. Canada, East or West? Minnesota, which district? Illinois? Michigan, North or South? Florida, Penn., CaLi. I know Sweden, Russia or Finland. So what do we do know it all?
What crickets, that\\\\\\\'s what I thought.
It\'s a holiday, Skippy. Sorry you have no social life. I\'ll answer your diatribe tomorrow or Thursday.
The athletes here are no different than in other parts of the country - no better, no worse. The advantage kids in this area have it availability of ice. I've talked with parents from CA, TN, and other places. There's one rink and the next closest is an hour or more away.

The second advantage is that hockey is as prominent here as anywhere in the country, probably outside MN, so it gets the attention of the best athletes, as opposed to football, baseball or basketball. They don't have to play elsewhere, they can play here. But we have to think differently. We're losing ground. The 1997 SSKs, 2000 MMF and 2001 MMF teams were nationally dominant and produced (or will in the case of the 2001 team) NHL draft picks. Since then? You hear talk about this 2004 team, that 2007 team, the "stacked" 2008s. What have they done outside of this area?

Why are we losing ground? It's the parents. They're selfish. They don't want their kid to be on a good team in a really strong league, they want their kid to be the best player on the team. They'd rather he be 1st line center on a bad team than on a second team in a really strong organization like those in MI and IL. They don't care about the team losing - it's the other kids' fault, or the coach's fault - as long as he's on the scoresheet.

So, the talent gets watered down. The teams that are assembled to be decent play most of their games against inferior local competition, where they can skate at 85% and get the W. Then when they play against better competition, they can't just flip the switch. Pros can't do it, why should we expect 10 year olds to?

What should we do? Parents need to chill the **** out. Focus on the long-term. Embrace the ADM. I don't buy USAH's stance on how older kids develop, because the things they say teenaged kids should be doing isn't what they have the NTDP kids doing. But cross ice hockey makes all the sense in the world. Professional teams are playing 3 on 3. Why? More puck touches. More time on your edges. More playmaking. More creativity. Yet, it isn't good enough for MA 7 year olds? Somehow, skating 180 feet in a straight line and scoring 7 goals is development? Ridiculous.

And parents need to be extremely conscious of the scorched earth they leave behind. There's a thread on the importance of marketing your player to get into college. That thread talks about the importance of networking. I can't tell you how many opportunities my kid has gotten, not because he was the best player, but because he works hard and both he and I try to develop positive relationships with everyone we meet. Next thing you know, boom! This person talks to that person and he has a high end advisor. He works with top skills guys. I even get cheaper ice, because the rink owner or manager knows I'm easy to deal with. Everyone in hockey is so connected, you really want to develop a positive relationship with everyone you meet. It's hard sometimes, believe me! I have along line of coaches I still have a beef with. But, you just don't know when having an unpleasant parting will come back to bite you.

I personally think that the merger of the EHF into the USPHL is, in part, about reversing the trend. I believe RG wants to see four prominent teams in this area where all the best players go to play - the Detroit mode, the Chicago model. We'll see as it unfolds.
First, thank you for an intelligent response, it's nice to see something not ending in "Sorry your kid got cut". The problem in the RG theory is he doesn't control the movement of talent. In other parts of the country (IL, MN) there is much greater control over the entire hockey landscape. I believe Illinois only has four Tier 1 teams, in total. Chances are you have 4 Tier 1 teams within a 30 minute drive of your house in Massachusetts.

If all of the area talent was controlled by RG than he could certainly create a regions 4 team super league but just looking at the 02 & 03 development camp rosters, I see kids from a number of different leagues represented, the EHF is not the monopoly of talent many think it is.

The solution would be for MA Hockey to step in, designate 2-4 programs as Tier 1, everyone else is Tier 2 and help bring back actual development but alas that's not going to happen. In the meantime, those of us who have been around a while can reminisce about the old Metro league, the previous incarnation of the dBoard, the '96 Mission team and the '00 MMF.

anon
First, thank you for an intelligent response, it's nice to see something not ending in "Sorry your kid got cut". The problem in the RG theory is he doesn't control the movement of talent. In other parts of the country (IL, MN) there is much greater control over the entire hockey landscape. I believe Illinois only has four Tier 1 teams, in total. Chances are you have 4 Tier 1 teams within a 30 minute drive of your house in Massachusetts.

If all of the area talent was controlled by RG than he could certainly create a regions 4 team super league but just looking at the 02 & 03 development camp rosters, I see kids from a number of different leagues represented, the EHF is not the monopoly of talent many think it is.

The solution would be for MA Hockey to step in, designate 2-4 programs as Tier 1, everyone else is Tier 2 and help bring back actual development but alas that's not going to happen. In the meantime, those of us who have been around a while can reminisce about the old Metro league, the previous incarnation of the dBoard, the '96 Mission team and the '00 MMF.
Yup, fair point. But, remember, RG coached that 2000 MMF team that won the Q. He convinced parents - in the same operating environment you're describing - to come together on one area "Super Team." Then he delivered a better product, both in terms of development and on-ice success. Then he took over a so-so MXI program, rebranded it, built them a rink, and took over most of another rink, leading again to better development and on ice performance. He has proven he knows how to do it - without USA Hockey's help.

Will he be the one that assembles those four super-regional teams? That's pure conjecture on my part. I predicted over a year ago he would try, so my thinking may have been right but my timing was off. And if he does, I do think there's a counter-move by the PG / TL crowd to do the same.

Or he's in it just for the money and will simply operate the EHF within the USPHL the same way it's always been. Except, then he wouldn't want teams leaving.

Yeah. The fact that his kid was on the team didn’t have anything to do with it....

RG cares about the number of teams in a league, not the quality.

Much needed reality check for some local anointed (by their parents) superstars. Kids will
Forget the 0-6 record by Saturday afternoon but a few of the parents will never forget this debacle. Puts some tarnish on lil’ superstars crown.

Maybe pulling the goalie in a tie game with 1:30 to go wasn't a great idea.

I actually respect that....I assume needed a win to stand a shot at crossover

anon
Absolutely pull the goalie - there are no trophy’s for not making the playoffs. They neede to win all remaining games to have a chance. That being said I bet CM is on the next flight home.

PS - 08’s aren’t stacked

Anon
anon
Absolutely pull the goalie - there are no trophy’s for not making the playoffs. They neede to win all remaining games to have a chance. That being said I bet CM is on the next flight home.

PS - 08’s aren’t stacked
It is pretty funny that the 2008s are the team to finally spit the bit at the Brick, after all the jokes about being stacked. The Boston entry usually does pretty well out there.

Looking at the standings of the Brick, the clear takeaway is that the Canadian teams are a cut above all of the American teams, with the possibe exception of the CT rangers. The real question is what is the Canadian program doing better then the US counterparts?

Would like to say they just skate better than us but not always the case... most cases it's their passing and defensive side positioning.. Top Canadian teams always instill a relentless yet unselfish system at a very young age.. start with basics and do your job.

anon
Would like to say they just skate better than us but not always the case... most cases it's their passing and defensive side positioning.. Top Canadian teams always instill a relentless yet unselfish system at a very young age.. start with basics and do your job.
Take youth football, basketball, soccer, baseball, etc. (virtually) out of the picture and then lets see how the US teams stack up against Canadian teams. All of their best athletes are playing hockey, many/most of ours are dedicated to other sports.

US is developing just fine in recent years. Since 2010 US has more gold medals at World juniors than any other country including our neighbors to the North. That is the litmus test of development. US players in NHL is at an all time higjh as well. The reason why Mass hockey not putting out as many kids in recent years is there are so many other talented kids coming out of non traditional markets. Unlike previous generations before they now have to compete with for slots on the national devt program and Colleclge Scholarships. Doesn't mean mass kids aren't developing...just means they have a tougher time due to more competition. Also Mass has too many teams for such a small geographical area. This spreads out the talent that we do have and makes it tougher to compete at the youth level with some of the other stronger markets.

anon
US is developing just fine in recent years. Since 2010 US has more gold medals at World juniors than any other country including our neighbors to the North. That is the litmus test of development. US players in NHL is at an all time higjh as well. The reason why Mass hockey not putting out as many kids in recent years is there are so many other talented kids coming out of non traditional markets. Unlike previous generations before they now have to compete with for slots on the national devt program and Colleclge Scholarships. Doesn't mean mass kids aren't developing...just means they have a tougher time due to more competition. Also Mass has too many teams for such a small geographical area. This spreads out the talent that we do have and makes it tougher to compete at the youth level with some of the other stronger markets.
Watched some show on the history of the Bruins last night on NESN. Look at those games from the 1970s and 1980s and tell me that geographical expansion and Russian/European infiltration in the college and pro ranks hasn't advanced the game significantly over the past few decades. Honestly, if your kid's coach was a local who played D-1 hockey back in the 80s or 90s and went no further, he might not actually have been that great of a player, in the grand scheme of things. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made my college team if I had to compete against the player pool vying for those spots today.

It's all relative. It's about what you do at your time. Bobby Orr was an incredible skater and majority of NHL players skate like that now. What makes #4 so special is how much better he was as compared to his peers at the time.

anon
It's all relative. It's about what you do at your time. Bobby Orr was an incredible skater and majority of NHL players skate like that now. What makes #4 so special is how much better he was as compared to his peers at the time.
Not saying the great ones weren't great. Merely stating the lower half of those rosters were probably filled with players that would no longer reach those heights due to the expansion of hockey from a niche sport to something closer to global. Also saying this might include your son's hockey coach who is getting his kid extra looks because of his D-1 pedigree.

The same could be said for baseball BTW, certainly before 1947 and even before the 1990s when Latin American players started reaching the Majors in huge numbers.

anon
anon
It\'s all relative. It\'s about what you do at your time. Bobby Orr was an incredible skater and majority of NHL players skate like that now. What makes #4 so special is how much better he was as compared to his peers at the time.
Not saying the great ones weren't great. Merely stating the lower half of those rosters were probably filled with players that would no longer reach those heights due to the expansion of hockey from a niche sport to something closer to global. Also saying this might include your son's hockey coach who is getting his kid extra looks because of his D-1 pedigree.

The same could be said for baseball BTW, certainly before 1947 and even before the 1990s when Latin American players started reaching the Majors in huge numbers.
Its common sense that players need to better to advance than in the past. USA hockey had 195,000 kids playing in 1990. In 2018 they had over 562,000. Lots more competition for spots.

anony
Looking at the standings of the Brick, the clear takeaway is that the Canadian teams are a cut above all of the American teams, with the possibe exception of the CT rangers. The real question is what is the Canadian program doing better then the US counterparts?
I believe in Quebec club hockey doesn't start until february. Every kid plays for the local town program and then top players migrate to club teams for spring and they practice. Not sure if it is like that through canada. I heard everything is also less expensive and there are a ton more pick up games and skating at outdoor rinks because everybody plays. Somebody with more knowledge about Canadian youth hockey can comment.

Wrong

Spoke with some parents of a solid Southern Ontario team last season, which basically toyed with my son's team for 3 periods.

They said most elementary schools have their own outdoor rink, and the kids get dropped off early and skate before school, then after school too. No structure, just the equivalent to playground pickup, as often as weather permits. Lot's of town/cities there have the same (see how many outdoor rinks there are in Greater Toronto).

It's just fun for the kids, which is how they get better period. Not through flying all over playing 'prestigious' tournaments.

Style of play was heavy puck possession, great passing, unselfish and fun to watch (squirts). Something to be said for focusing a bit more on team play, even at that age, instead of the triple toe-drag breakaway hockey.

Anyway, played another team from Quebec, same style (and outcome).

Forget about the brick they are 9 - the massachusetts model is broken. Let's be honest, FED / E9 the hockey is not great - yes, the top FED teams are better but it's because the top players are sprinkled on those teams. The hockey is still marginal and kids 8-13 on roster are not developing. Between the leagues not playing each other, the never ending spring team money grabs, the 9 colors of Tier 1 Hockey, playing 80 games a year, the skills sessions 12 months a year, the dilution due to too many teams, awful officiationg, the focus on MHR, the demise of public HS hockey - the list is endless, the model is broken. Sadly I think it's going to get worse - everyone is some level of 'elite' now, and in reality everyone except a handful stink. I don't know what the answer is - you can teach kids how to skate fast , and teach them how to shoot hard but nobody is teaching these kids how to play HOCKEY and I think it's getting worse ever year.

It starts with full ice mites. Look at why that still happens around here and you'll get to the root of the problem.

Anon
It starts with full ice mites. Look at why that still happens around here and you\'ll get to the root of the problem.
I agree, this is where to start.

Anon
It starts with full ice mites. Look at why that still happens around here and you'll get to the root of the problem.
A lot of people say this but what do other parts of the country do? They don't have full ice at mites and do strictly half ice 3 v 3? Why should it be the clubs that need to change their offerings when clearly full ice is what people want? Growing up I didn't play hockey all that much, I found it wasn't the sport for me, so was half ice something that used to be done for mites and then there was a change to full ice at some point? My son started in town and we did half ice and he really enjoyed it. He still does 3 v 3 and it has helped his game a lot so I'm not arguing against it but people have mentioned that the model is broken but from some of the people I have talked to the model is the same as it has always been. The only difference is there are more teams and that seems to me to be the root of the problem. The game has grown and with more kids playing you need more teams and with talent being spread out through out the area it waters down the product.

That's just an outsiders look at the issue on hand. At some point though I think we as parents need to take responsibility for how we want our kids to learn the game. I watched a little bit of one game in this years brick and it was clear that the "team" and I use quotations because it was clear that they weren't playing as a team but as a bunch of individuals and they took a beating because of it.

Problem is that most parents care about status first and development second.

Anon
Anon
It starts with full ice mites. Look at why that still happens around here and you\'ll get to the root of the problem.
A lot of people say this but what do other parts of the country do? They don't have full ice at mites and do strictly half ice 3 v 3? Why should it be the clubs that need to change their offerings when clearly full ice is what people want? Growing up I didn't play hockey all that much, I found it wasn't the sport for me, so was half ice something that used to be done for mites and then there was a change to full ice at some point? My son started in town and we did half ice and he really enjoyed it. He still does 3 v 3 and it has helped his game a lot so I'm not arguing against it but people have mentioned that the model is broken but from some of the people I have talked to the model is the same as it has always been. The only difference is there are more teams and that seems to me to be the root of the problem. The game has grown and with more kids playing you need more teams and with talent being spread out through out the area it waters down the product.

That's just an outsiders look at the issue on hand. At some point though I think we as parents need to take responsibility for how we want our kids to learn the game. I watched a little bit of one game in this years brick and it was clear that the "team" and I use quotations because it was clear that they weren't playing as a team but as a bunch of individuals and they took a beating because of it.
What I meant was look at why full ice mites is still a thing around here, and the reason is because the parents demand it. The clubs are just serving the market, it's the parents who are making the poor decisions. Even 12 year olds don't play on a full size field in baseball. At some point, there needs to be a developmental step where the kids play a miniaturized version of the game that challenges them to adapt a wide range of skills instead of spending all of their effort trying to reach the plate from 60' or hurl a basketball up to a 10' rim. But for some reason in hockey everybody is in a race to play full ice hockey at 7 or 8 years old. Things like the Jr Bruins and the Brick don't help, since they start grooming kids for international tournaments at such a young age.

You nailed it..

Take a look at the 02 New England numbers for development nationally for the NTDP:

One skater. And only one even got the invite from Buffalo. (goalies separate discussion)

Out of tens of thousand's 02's that starting playing organized hockey in Mass 10 years ago.

One kid.

This year it may be one yet again.

00's and 01's faired pretty well. But 02 and 03 will be a pretty big fail for Mass Hockey numbers wise.

Many people who see and watch those two ages groups, and yes the 04's coming up, believe the development of players and Mass Hockey in general needs an overhaul given how many resources, sheets available and dollars are generated each year for youth hockey in Mass.

Other regions are developing better players per capita. By a long shot. Why?

If you aren’t deemed “elite” by age 8, you never will be in our system. The problem is, at that age the best skaters ARE the best players. We don’t know how many kids with that god given hockey sense are left behind each year because their tools haven’t arrived yet. The kids with the tools are considered elite players even if they don’t have the tool box.

That same group grows up with all of the best coaching and makes connections with all the right people. Lose your “elite” status and you are all but screwed. That isn’t a system that fosters real hockey players with hockey sense.

As a region we are producing a lot of GOOD hockey players that are great skaters, but we are not producing as many true elite players who have that sixth sense on the ice.

Just take a look at the 03 selections this year...

Sometimes at age 8 it's not even the best skater but the early big kid or the kid with the early developed attention span. Certain kids learn to focus and compete earlier than others, which is a trait totally unrelated to hockey ability yet very beneficial in 8 year old hockey games. And kids are tracked based on their performance at this age, which is problematic.

BTW tournaments like the Brick do nothing to help this situation, but only make it worse.

Anon
Sometimes at age 8 it's not even the best skater but the early big kid or the kid with the early developed attention span. Certain kids learn to focus and compete earlier than others, which is a trait totally unrelated to hockey ability yet very beneficial in 8 year old hockey games. And kids are tracked based on their performance at this age, which is problematic.

BTW tournaments like the Brick do nothing to help this situation, but only make it worse.
Trust me, the early big kid at 8 is at a huge disadvantage. At 8 it's true size, not early puberty size like at age 12-13. it takes quite a while for the brain to catch up and use that size.

But, the good news is, if he is an athlete, has a passion for the sport, and keeps working at it, those "elite" opportunities will be there for him when he does learn how to use that size, maybe not so much for the stud Squirt that doesn't grow past 5'8".

Anon
Anon
Sometimes at age 8 it\'s not even the best skater but the early big kid or the kid with the early developed attention span. Certain kids learn to focus and compete earlier than others, which is a trait totally unrelated to hockey ability yet very beneficial in 8 year old hockey games. And kids are tracked based on their performance at this age, which is problematic.

Trust me, the early big kid at 8 is at a huge disadvantage. At 8 it's true size, not early puberty size like at age 12-13. it takes quite a while for the brain to catch up and use that size.

But, the good news is, if he is an athlete, has a passion for the sport, and keeps working at it, those "elite" opportunities will be there for him when he does learn how to use that size, maybe not so much for the stud Squirt that doesn't grow past 5'8".
The early big kid is at a disadvantage? Have you ever watched mite hockey?

We have a big problem in the selection process. Some of these players compared to their mates in Connecticut looked very slow and unskilled. I believe the Bruins need to work with both leagues to get the best players out in front of the large audience. I watched the 05s, 06s, 07s and this 08 team is far below anyones expectations. This is my 2 cents! Good luck the rest of the season.

Anon
We have a big problem in the selection process. Some of these players compared to their mates in Connecticut looked very slow and unskilled. I believe the Bruins need to work with both leagues to get the best players out in front of the large audience. I watched the 05s, 06s, 07s and this 08 team is far below anyones expectations. This is my 2 cents! Good luck the rest of the season.
Heard a handful of players declined the invitation to play, including kids from both leagues. Also a handful of kids were overlooked. This was far from the best team the Jr Bs could put together.

anon
Anon
anon

PS - 08’s aren’t stacked
It is pretty funny that the 2008s are the team to finally spit the bit at the Brick, after all the jokes about being stacked. The Boston entry usually does pretty well out there.
Worst Junior Bruins team in a loooooong time.

anon
anon
Anon
anon

PS - 08’s aren’t stacked
Worst Junior Bruins team in a loooooong time.
Since they started going in 2011 no BJB team has come home with a losing record from the mall,

History making 2008's!

Took the wrong kids. Period.

It happens, I bet if he had to do it all over again he’d swap out 4-5 kids.

He went with daddy coach kids and college buddies. It is what it is. There is always next year.

Took the wrong kids. Period.

It happens, I bet if he had to do it all over again he’d swap out 4-5 kids.

He went with daddy coach kids and college buddies. It is what it is. There is always next year.

Hey it's hockey and hockey is an old Canadian Indian word for nepotism.

Up next Manitoba...0-6! That’s worth $10,000!!

Anon
Ooof. Team didn’t win a game and coaches have no clue what concussion protocol is all about? Kid gets basically knocked out, tries to stand up and is legless and is helped off the ice and comes back a few shifts later in a meaningless game? Be better and get a clue.

Anon
For all you BJB haters out there, in classic dboard fashion. Sorry your kid got cut. Rather than support these kids which you know, you bash them. Good for you.

Sometimes the truth hurts

anon
Anon
Up next Manitoba...0-6! That’s worth \$10,000!!
For all you BJB haters out there, in classic dboard fashion. Sorry your kid got cut. Rather than support these kids which you know, you bash them. Good for you.
Reality sets in with the BJB parents...they finally realize their bender isn’t as good as they thought. Stop blaming it on the D Board. It has nothing to do with the kids. It is your arrogance that offends people. Have a safe flight home

Anon
anon
Anon
Up next Manitoba...0-6! That’s worth \\\$10,000!!
Reality sets in with the BJB parents...they finally realize their bender isn’t as good as they thought. Stop blaming it on the D Board. It has nothing to do with the kids. It is your arrogance that offends people. Have a safe flight home
Now the best part,your a parent of the worst JRB team ever ,your struggling that maybe your kid is not as good as you thought, but you have to sit there until Monday taking in the mandatory closing ceremony tomorrow, meantime the HC is already home using your team fee to take Wheels Up to Bedford after another profitable Brick season!!!!!!

Humbling, humiliating and necessary for this particular set of parents.

Kids have learned a tough lesson and that’s good for thei overall development. They have been told they are the best and that everyone else sucks, and they are clearly not.

By October the pack will have passed most of them.

It's good to get out there and see other players. humbling and maybe it can be used to light a fire under some of the kids. It doesn't get any easier. :medal:

We should have sent the Norsmen.

This is all funny stuff. No one seems to realize that CM runs BJB as a business. Sure he could have picked better players but he doesn't care. He has the money in his pocket and is already on to next year.

you are correct, it is a business, a business headed down the same road as blue chips.
over valued and under performing, and a lot of unhappy clients.

You mean to tell me the forwards weren’t happy hanging out at the blue line as a 3rd defensemen for half the game?

That’s weird!

Might as well hang back there seeing they weren't doing much scoring

anon
Don't know much about the system but seems to work the other way...hanging at the blue line reduces scoring. Might be other variables involved but its tough to maintain offensive zone time however it should limit odd man rushes.

Anon
anon
Don't know much about the system but seems to work the other way...hanging at the blue line reduces scoring. Might be other variables involved but its tough to maintain offensive zone time however it should limit odd man rushes.
Ah.....the good old offensive zone trap. Seems logical for Squirts.

That’s the truth considering he has two teams in the 09 KOV. The Junior Bruins Elites and the Boston Elites who used to be AAA. Who used to not even exist until he smartly recognized the need for parents to put on Facebook that they’re in Las Vegas playing hockey in the middle of the summer.