Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 06's playing up to 05 level

The checking game is not being taught.. it's not being played..it's nothing to worry about. Welcome to European style hockey don't like it move to the Midwest.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents to playing up after going through it - seen a few years of kids playing up and was always curious if it would pan out for better developement down the road. I would say I am aware of 12 kids or so that played up during youth years and every one of the 12 kids that played up are now average - to below average at this time in high school. This isnt some big scientific study - just my observations.

anon
Just wanted to add my 2 cents to playing up after going through it - seen a few years of kids playing up and was always curious if it would pan out for better developement down the road. I would say I am aware of 12 kids or so that played up during youth years and every one of the 12 kids that played up are now average - to below average at this time in high school. This isnt some big scientific study - just my observations.
Whether your kid plays "up" or not at 11/12/13 isn't going to make a huge difference one way or the other. What makes the difference is what they do outside of their team for development and in the off season.

Also, what changes does puberty bring? Could be an early kid and be dominate at 12, then get passed by. Could be that he was an above average athlete as a kid but the pack caught up. Could be that he finds his athleticsm and passes eveeryone.

anon
anon
Whether your kid plays "up" or not at 11/12/13 isn't going to make a huge difference one way or the other. What makes the difference is what they do outside of their team for development and in the off season.

Also, what changes does puberty bring? Could be an early kid and be dominate at 12, then get passed by. Could be that he was an above average athlete as a kid but the pack caught up. Could be that he finds his athleticsm and passes eveeryone.
They will all be "playing up" when they get to high school.

You should play up if your child is playing with kids who are in a grade below. When they get older, no one cares about birth year - it is all about grade.

If they play up, but are with kids in their own grade...is that really playing up?

anon
anon
anon
Whether your kid plays \"up\" or not at 11/12/13 isn\'t going to make a huge difference one way or the other. What makes the difference is what they do outside of their team for development and in the off season.

Thank you, Mr. Silver. The OP was asking about development. Not just playing.

anon
anon
anon
anon
Whether your kid plays \\"up\\" or not at 11/12/13 isn\\'t going to make a huge difference one way or the other. What makes the difference is what they do outside of their team for development and in the off season.

Well then maybe it's not a bad idea to play up to peg your development to the kids you will ultimately be competing with in HS.

anon
anon
anon
anon
anon
Whether your kid plays \\\\\"up\\\\\" or not at 11/12/13 isn\\\\\'t going to make a huge difference one way or the other. What makes the difference is what they do outside of their team for development and in the off season.

They will all be \"playing up\" when they get to high school.
Well then maybe it's not a bad idea to play up to peg your development to the kids you will ultimately be competing with in HS.
Kids who aspire to play Public HS aren't focused on development.

Simply "playing up" isn't very meaningful. It's not very difficult to be an average player on a below-average team. What sets you apart is to play up as a top player on a top team.

Anon
Simply "playing up" isn't very meaningful. It's not very difficult to be an average player on a below-average team. What sets you apart is to play up as a top player on a top team.
^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

And let's take it one more step with high school. A lot of MIAA HS teams are struggling with numbers/talent and are starting to use the MIAA waiver for either 7th or 8th grade or both. Playing up as a 7/8th grader on the MIAA high school varsity team means nothing anymore. In most cases all that says is the varsity team is low on numbers. See it all the time now with proud parents of average players on average club teams saying "my kid is playing varsity this year". A local HS had an 8th grader playing varsity hockey last year that wouldn't even make a T1 black team of his own age group.

Hint, it's not impressive...this is...

"What sets you apart is to play as a top player on a top team"...poster nailed it...

anon
anon
so Prep is not HS?

If your kid is dominating the 06 level then move him up. If he is an average tier 1 or select player moving him up will get him hurt both physically and mentally.

D'oh
anon
anon
so Prep is not HS?
Yeah why the hate on HS? Do prep schools not have juniors and seniors on the roster?

anon
D\'oh
anon
anon
Well then maybe it\'s not a bad idea to play up to peg your development to the kids you will ultimately be competing with in HS.
Kids who aspire to play Public HS aren\'t focused on development.
so Prep is not HS?
Yeah why the hate on HS? Do prep schools not have juniors and seniors on the roster?
Didn't you know? Everyone's kid is going to play on a BA FS team or one of the few local USPHL FS midget teams. Every single one of them. HS is for Town kids and benders........
Going to be a lot of disappointed daddies.

Everyone talks about checking. But the factor here is the big difference in physical play - going into the corners, 14 year olds will take the puck away from 12 year olds, check or no check. It's the stick grabbing, pushing, quickness, strength.

Also, a quick fast 12 year old can skate through a team sometimes. But a decent sized 14 will have a much bigger wingspan, and you have to be really fast to go that one foot extra to your left, then one foot back to your right after you get around him.

And skate between two defensemen at your own risk!

In my opinion, if your kid is willing to get in there, play up! This is the biggest jump, from 12 to 13. Yes there's checking, but the quickness needed to keep a puck at Bantam is much higher than Pee Wee.

Learning this a year early is a big help. Next year he will be a clutching, grabbing, puck taking away expert, while AA's his own age might have more skill, they wont be as physical.

Only way I would suggest playing up a year at AAA is if your kid is so good that he is outscoring the entire EHF elite 06 division by a huge margin. I'm talking about an Eichel or something like that. Otherwise there really is no benefit to playing up, let the kid dominate his age group and have fun. It only gets harder as they get older.

There is not a single 06 player that should be playing 05 EHF this year. There are few that could be middle of the pack, but no one that could impact a game against one of the top 6 team teams.

I think a couple kids on 06 Islanders could play 05-04 year. 2 big strong kids that are great skaters. My kid doesn't play on islanders but they are impressive to watch

They can’t even win their division yet they have 2 players that could play 05/04? If they are as good as you say, they would be dominating.

you are letting hate cloud your mind. easily the two top IHC players could do very well at elite 05 level

Those 2 IHC 06 kids are bigger than most 05s.

Anon
They can’t even win their division yet they have 2 players that could play 05/04? If they are as good as you say, they would be dominating.

This logic is flawed. Just because the team doesn't win the division, they can't have two of the best players in the league?? Team vs individual talent are two different things. This is why EHF Elite parents get surprised later on when an E9, or even worse BHL, kid shows up and outskates their kid. Being on the best team doesn't make your player good, and very good players play on average teams. So don't be that guy and pound chest about the team your player is on, put your effort into making sure he's good enough to make the jump when he needs to go out on his own.