Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Can the refs get any worse at Exeter/ Seacoast?

Anon
One reason Exeter gets inexperienced refs is because they have to put up with the a-hole Seacoast coaches.
Never ref'd a game there, it's too far for me to drive but you probably aren't far off with the coaches comments

There are certain orgs/teams that ref's prefer to stay away from, in no particular order
*org's that are incredibly slow paying
*teams where the kids are thugs
*teams where coaches are insane

As an aside, I find that insane coaches tend to attract thug players. Just an observation.

If you keep getting the same few bad eggs, chances are some combination of the three above are the reason as no one else wants to do games there. Of course it could also be that these guys are liked by the assignor because they live close by, are willing to take as many games as the assignor can put them on, and don't complain about getting paid, thus making his life easy.

It's just as frustrating for me, maybe even more so when my kids get bad officials. Here's my advice, as hard as it is, just chill. Unless they are doing things that are dangerous, like leaving doors open at Bantam and above, just let it go. It's out of your control, it's out of your players control. When parents go insane it trickles down to the players quickly and games turn into three ring circus.

I don’t find the refs at Exeter any worse or better than anywhere else. I fully agree with the statement ‘if you don’t like it then Get out there yourself’. If the refs stink that’s fine so long as they stink in both directions. Our kids had a game in Springfield this year where the refs were joking with the home team kids and the game ended with the refs calling 8 penalties on our kids to 2 on theirs. Maybe that’s an outlier. But when that happens it’s tough to stay quiet. I expect only one thing from the refs at my child’s level. He is a mite. Keep the game safe and the physical to a minimum or at least reasonable level. We have now seen games get so physical and chippy they have devolved into actual fist fights 4 times. That is terrible refereeing and yes I did yell at the refs with very poor language in those cases. But I don’t skate well enough to be a ref and a blown offsides call isn’t going to turn the game. Just a side 1 of the 4 games that kids started fights was at Exeter.

You don't skate well enough to ref a mite game?