Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: JWK

06 bruins knocked out in jwk qtrs by 8 seed

And 7 seed won the division, what is your point? Some real weak teams and large pool made for lopsided schedules/parity results.

Mo Wanchuk
06 bruins knocked out in jwk qtrs by 8 seed
yes, 8th seed beat Boston Jr Bruins. and 7th seed beat the #2 seed Anaheim Jr Ducks.

Not taking anything away from either of those teams. However, just looking at the quarterfinal results does not tell you the full story there. The Cape Cod (#8) team and the Spartans (#7) both played their 4th pool game the night before. They were both playing their first game of the day, vs the JR B's (#1) and Ducks (#2) who were playing their second game of the day.

On day 3 of a tournament like this, that is a huge advantage when these teams are not separated by much in ability.

Kudos to Seacoast who finished the run though!

To another point made, schedules were not even close to balanced. A couple teams had very soft schedules and a couple teams had extremely bloated schedules. It does not appear that there was much effort put into making sure the schedule was created based on the MHR rankings used to form the division.

Of course, it doesn't help Legacy create a balanced schedule when teams like Walpole register their 2nd team and then send their top team, BHL.

JWK set their schedule in a manner that teams played competitors with similar rankings. The idea is to not waste your time getting blown-out, or blowing-out a competitor. All clubs ever say is they want to play competitive games, nobody wants a blow-out, on either side of the game.

At the end of it all, (in most divisions) half of the field moves on to the quarters, that should be enough to eliminate lucky teams, or teams with easy schedules.

The cream rises to the top. I noticed close scores throughout a majority of the tourney.

obviously, by dividing divisions via MHR,they are ranking teams in groups with similar ability already.

And I do agree that within those groups there are still strong and weak teams. That was especially the case in the 06 Select division, where 5 teams really were below the majority of the competition and 5 teams were ranked above the majority of competition (although closer to the mean than the bottom feeders).

However, to say that they grouped teams within a division based on similar competition is a farce. I hope that someone just told you that and you were gullible enough to believe it. Just a little bit of a deep dive shows very little in support of that, or any logic being used whatsoever in their scheduling. yes teams play tournaments for competition, but if you think having success is not a goal you are just doing yourself and others a disservice. "fool me once..."

Look at the Anaheim JR Ducks who were in the top group. they flew across the country to get paired with 3 of the worst 5 teams in the tourney (by MHR). Their other game was not even against a team from the top group. If they came for competition, they are flying home disappointed.

The Spartans (maybe they are a bad example given their connections to LGS) were in the top group, and 2 of their games were against the bottom, with the other 2 against the middle to lower-middle. Nothing against similarly ranked competition within the division. They barely got into the playoffs even with what looks like a light schedule...... Given, they showed they can compete in the playoffs. Congrats to them.

and finally on the other end of the spectrum, you have the North Suburban Wings. who were near the bottom of the group. Look who they played. They faced 3 of the top 5 teams, and their other game was against one of the upper-middle teams. Hardly an advocate for playing similarly ranked teams.

I see little in support of your "playing against equal competition" theory when looking across the schedules. Wouldn't everyone be a little happier if they took the thinking out of it and just grouped each division into sub-tiers and had teams play 1 team from each sub-tier?

One last note of interest.
Which coincidentally supports LGS having some kind of an agenda within their scheduling and strongly suggests they were not looking for balance.

The top 2 ranked MHR teams within 06 select, Jr Bruins and Walpole (both BHL American teams), played all 4 of their games against opponents from the PHL. If that is not an E9/BHL agenda, I am not sure what else would be.

****! Now that I look back on the schedule it is blatant! Kudos on that call, must have been drinking too many lattes to see the obvious! Between that and the schedule for some we can see what their agenda consisted of, did Pelosi or Schumer have a relative on one of these teams??🤣🤣🤣

AnoN
One last note of interest.
Which coincidentally supports LGS having some kind of an agenda within their scheduling and strongly suggests they were not looking for balance.

The top 2 ranked MHR teams within 06 select, Jr Bruins and Walpole (both BHL American teams), played all 4 of their games against opponents from the PHL. If that is not an E9/BHL agenda, I am not sure what else would be.
And for the most part, the PHL teams did a nice job.

JWK ELITE Division Finals Participants (by league)

U16 CSDHL vs EJEPL
04 CSDHL vs E9
05 EHF T1B vs E9
06 EHF T1B vs E9
07 EHF Elite vs E9
08 EHF Elite vs USPHL
09 EHF Elite vs EHF Elite

We can agree that the select division was a horror show. The elite and aaa divisions seemed fairly even. Even the teams that went winless were competitive.

Anon
We can agree that the select division was a horror show. The elite and aaa divisions seemed fairly even. Even the teams that went winless were competitive.
My son's team played in the '06 Elite division so I watched his games and parts of others at that level. I realize that none of the top local elite teams were there but I thought it was a well run tournament and almost every team in the division was relatively evenly matched, which made for some fun competitive games.

AnoN
obviously, by dividing divisions via MHR,they are ranking teams in groups with similar ability already.

And I do agree that within those groups there are still strong and weak teams. That was especially the case in the 06 Select division, where 5 teams really were below the majority of the competition and 5 teams were ranked above the majority of competition (although closer to the mean than the bottom feeders).

However, to say that they grouped teams within a division based on similar competition is a farce. I hope that someone just told you that and you were gullible enough to believe it. Just a little bit of a deep dive shows very little in support of that, or any logic being used whatsoever in their scheduling. yes teams play tournaments for competition, but if you think having success is not a goal you are just doing yourself and others a disservice. "fool me once..."

Look at the Anaheim JR Ducks who were in the top group. they flew across the country to get paired with 3 of the worst 5 teams in the tourney (by MHR). Their other game was not even against a team from the top group. If they came for competition, they are flying home disappointed.

The Spartans (maybe they are a bad example given their connections to LGS) were in the top group, and 2 of their games were against the bottom, with the other 2 against the middle to lower-middle. Nothing against similarly ranked competition within the division. They barely got into the playoffs even with what looks like a light schedule...... Given, they showed they can compete in the playoffs. Congrats to them.

and finally on the other end of the spectrum, you have the North Suburban Wings. who were near the bottom of the group. Look who they played. They faced 3 of the top 5 teams, and their other game was against one of the upper-middle teams. Hardly an advocate for playing similarly ranked teams.

I see little in support of your "playing against equal competition" theory when looking across the schedules. Wouldn't everyone be a little happier if they took the thinking out of it and just grouped each division into sub-tiers and had teams play 1 team from each sub-tier?

While I'm not disagreeing with your analysis, it is also not proper to put the top two or three teams up against each other in pool play. If the pool is not deep, then unfortunately that ends up giving the top teams a weak schedule. But then again, if you are a top team, then by definition you can only play weaker teams. I guess after all of these words, my main question would be: did your kid and your family have fun at the tournament?

And the 05 Finals of NS vs. Spartans was cancelled at 215 today because NESV is a joke.

Why did they cancel this game?

E9 represented well in '07 elite division...Patriots in semis, Warriors in finals.

The sub 500. Bandits beat the Warriors in the finals (O7 E). So much for E9 parity

Which islander team did the Assabet Patriots beat in the 06 elite final?

If it was the Tier 1 Black team that’s 1st in the standings for 06 Black Division that would make them 0 and 5 against 5 E9 teams. “OUCH”

At least they made the finals unlike your son's team.

Your other vaunted E9 team finished 9th and the other chose to play in AAA division.

Anon
Your other vaunted E9 team finished 9th and the other chose to play in AAA division.
Junior Railers are a vaunted E9 team now? They are half a step away from being a BHL team. Kudos to Islanders Black for making it to the finals, but don't you think they were helped out immensely by their extremely soft round robin schedule? Of their four games, they only played one true tier 1 team (#62 Hockey Essentials). The other three tier 2 teams they beat only had one win between them (0-4, 0-4, 1-3) in round robin. Maybe if they played the Railers round robin opponents the Islanders would have finished 9th...

Railers lost to Jr. Devils 4-1. Islanders beat Jr. Devils 4-1...you're point is?

Anon
Railers lost to Jr. Devils 4-1. Islanders beat Jr. Devils 4-1...you're point is?
You got me there. Islanders black has also lost to the Knights, Seacoast and Assabet Valley this season, all teams it looks like the Railers have beaten. I’m confused, what is your point? Are you saying they didn’t get a cupcake round robin schedule?

The point is is that they beat the teams on their schedule...all but one was ranked higher than them in tier 2 rankings and beat 3 middle tier 1 teams along the way.

It is odd they have struggled against E9 and EHF elite teams but have an 8-2 record against tier 1 teams outside of NE.

Anon
It is odd they have struggled against E9 and EHF elite teams but have an 8-2 record against tier 1 teams outside of NE.
On this Dboard we like to bash each other's leagues and teams. But truth is- our Mass teams (as watered down as they may be) are still better than most nationally ranked teams. Islanders Black is a prefect example, they are winless against Mass Elite Teams 0-5, but versus out of state true T1 teams they are 8-2.

Mass hockey is good.

The best part of tournament was playing teams from 6 different states...not every team got so lucky.

Anon
The point is is that they beat the teams on their schedule...all but one was ranked higher than them in tier 2 rankings and beat 3 middle tier 1 teams along the way.
We can agree on that....once again kudos to them

So let me understand genius....the current 5th place EHF team (out of 10 teams) beat the current 3rd place E9 team (out of 8 teams) by a goal in the final...your point is???

Speaking of parity...genius...what does it say about the EHF if the 5th place team is sub-500? Look at teams 5 through 10...real parity...huh, Ed?