Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What to do?

District camp unless you really need a valley hat

I'm assuming he is a 2006 or 2007 which means there were no tryouts and if you sign up and pay then you play. Go let him play in the championship game with his buddies. Plenty of time for that BS.

There was a tryout. 6 of his teammates were there too and he was the only one that was selected for the camp.

I know several kids who wanted to attend this tryout but did not because it conflicted with their main season game schedule. When he tried out, were the playoffs/championship already a possibility? (Was the schedule out?) If so, I'd say he honors that commitment. Another kid would happily take his spot at the camp. But I'm guessing he can't be replaced in the game -- especially if he's the best one, which it sounds like he might be if he's the only one who made the team.

It's The Valley where talking about playoff schedules were not posted.. this league championship was last on a long list of team goals this year...most of which we meet. This league championship was almost an after thought. District camp was the only personal goal he had set for this year outside getting a few play makers.. he is a good player but his team is deep I think they can win without him.

Sounds to me like the decision is already made and you're looking to validate it. At the end of the day you have to do what you think is right for the kid.

The kid has his mind set.. me not so much

Why not let him decide?

I'm confused. Is this question about one kid getting a valley hat, or about honoring a commitment to a team? Sounds like this kid will have more opportunities. For his townie teammates, this may be a big deal. I'm assuming he's bound for greener pastures next year?

The NED futures camp will have no bearing on his selections down the line. It is merely a skills camp that you pay for and there are 0 usa hockey reps there. Play with your team.

Hmmmmm, following through on a season-long commitment to his team and teammates, or an individual achievement?

its division championship on sat then league championship on Sunday... we could leave early and haul ass back down to make Sundays game or do I call state district rep and suggest a player to replace my son.

Smarten up. Town championship vs kids goal and future. I'm sure you will still get a plastic trophy.

We just qualified for this game yesterday but I started this conversation with hockey minds about 3 weeks ago and I've got absolutely nowhere.. there is no good answer for this..who has knowledge on this camp. Exactly how is my son going to benefit from this camp outside of the connections. I go through that camp lists state by state and I see a lot of names on all 5 States that we recognize and know..is this more important for my son to make connectuons with USA Hockey.. there are not not going to teach us anything new are they?

Anon
We just qualified for this game yesterday but I started this conversation with hockey minds about 3 weeks ago and I've got absolutely nowhere.. there is no good answer for this..who has knowledge on this camp. Exactly how is my son going to benefit from this camp outside of the connections. I go through that camp lists state by state and I see a lot of names on all 5 States that we recognize and know..is this more important for my son to make connectuons with USA Hockey.. there are not not going to teach us anything new are they?
The camp is not what you think it's going to be. Real camp doesn't start until Bantams and the large percentage of kids who show up to this thing now will not be there come then. The fact it's 3v3 tells you all you need to know. Do you really think NED isn't going to blackball a kid who belongs at the real camp following years because they chose to play for his actual team, vhl or not, rather than go to this 'skills' session?

Ultimately yeah you should leave it up to your kid but I would stress that you really press NED directly (not your home district) to see if they really think it is what you or kid thinks it is.

Anon
Smarten up. Town championship vs kids goal and future. I'm sure you will still get a plastic trophy.
I'm plenty smart already. That development camp will have virtually no impact on his future. Like, .00001% impact.

Seeing his teammates as "brothers" will have a far greater impact on his overall success - as a hockey player and as a man. The trophy itself doesn't matter - it's what it stands for that does.

It's sad, really, that people don't see that. Not that I'm surprised. Further evidence of the fraying of the fabric of our society.

Being a parent of a 2007 who is attending the camp, and a coach of a full season team, I would have my player with his teammates playing out the season. Obviously you didn’t know till this weekend that your player would be in this conflict, but now that you are here is why I say it.
If his team loses, you and your player might blame yourselves and other teammates and families might feel the same.
If you miss the Development camp, nothing changes except the opportunity too see you player play with kids from all over and different talent levels. Go to any Blue Chips tournament, or CCM invite and you will get the same experience.

Playing for your team is the right decision. Good luck either way.

Anon
its division championship on sat then league championship on Sunday... we could leave early and haul ass back down to make Sundays game or do I call state district rep and suggest a player to replace my son.
I would gather that he would be trying out for NED next year? Is that the imprssion you want to leave? It's pretty late to change your mind now that the camp is in 4 days and teams are set. Do what you feel is best but I would think this is an easy choice.

Addressing the possibility of bowing out of camp sooner would have been ideal. That said, what hockey person wouldn't understand -- and respect -- being a team player? I'm sure there's a line of kids who would be happy to take you player's spot -- and a line of parents happy to pay for it.

Pull up your pants and make your decision. Nobody cares what you and your kid decides. You're an a**h*** for posting this in the first place. If you're kid is anything like you he's screwed.

Agreed. This is nothing less than a misguided humble brag. Otherwise, the OP wouldn't have gone out of his way to make sure we knew that his kid was the only one on his team to make it. All the more reason for him to play the game and not screw them over.

Anon
Agreed. This is nothing less than a misguided humble brag. Otherwise, the OP wouldn't have gone out of his way to make sure we knew that his kid was the only one on his team to make it. All the more reason for him to play the game and not screw them over.
I thought this at first too but I think its actually an important detail to the question being asked. To me that means his kid is one of the top players on the team if not the top. Missing the game could mean the difference between winning and losing.

My take though is play the game and see the season through until the end.

Anon
Valley championship game or ne futures district camp at uvm?
Whatever you choose for your kid is your choice. My only suggestion is that you get to making one and telling the coach of his VHL team or the NED camp immediately. Not cool to let this hang out there.

His two coaches sons were at the tryout and head coach underatands and thinks he should go to camp and assistant coach not so much.. as of now they think he will miss the games. and I have reached out by phone to president of the state amateur hockey association to get more clarification and get ball rolling one way or the other.

What year is he? I have some knowledge