Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Skate Sharpening

OP asked for recommendations for hands-on skate sharpener and the discussion turns into a ProSharp advertising string. So for hands-on, the guy at South Shore Sports Consignment in Wareham is excellent (but that isn't exactly South Shore). And just to have balanced views on machines, our SPARX machine is going on its third season of use. The machine has been reliable and does a consistent quality sharpening every time, and it is really convenient. No need for a "Tastes Great", "Less Filling" debate on sharpening machines.

This guy, that guy, this grind, that grind, that shop, this shop....

This I will say (without shamelessly plugging any person, shop or brand), THE BEST MONEY EVER SPENT in youth hockey is to immediately ditch the soft crappy steel blades the skates come with and install a set of the shiny or now black superior quality steel blades. Hands down. Skates hold an edge much longer, and last longer because they don't get ground down to a nub and require far less sharpenings thus paying for themselves in about 3 months. Every kid should skate on better steel blades but I think the pro shops don't like them not only because they require less sharpening but they are also harder on their sharpening wheels.

anon

This I will say (without shamelessly plugging any person, shop or brand), THE BEST MONEY EVER SPENT in youth hockey is to immediately ditch the soft crappy steel blades the skates come with and install a set of the shiny or now black superior quality steel blades. Hands down. Skates hold an edge much longer, and last longer because they don't get ground down to a nub and require far less sharpenings thus paying for themselves in about 3 months. Every kid should skate on better steel blades but I think the pro shops don't like them not only because they require less sharpening but they are also harder on their sharpening wheels.
This guy is spot on. The best kept secret in hockey. Ditch the crappy blades. Go stainless steel. I use 'Step Steel'

anon
anon

This I will say (without shamelessly plugging any person, shop or brand), THE BEST MONEY EVER SPENT in youth hockey is to immediately ditch the soft crappy steel blades the skates come with and install a set of the shiny or now black superior quality steel blades. Hands down. Skates hold an edge much longer, and last longer because they don\'t get ground down to a nub and require far less sharpenings thus paying for themselves in about 3 months. Every kid should skate on better steel blades but I think the pro shops don\'t like them not only because they require less sharpening but they are also harder on their sharpening wheels.
This guy is spot on. The best kept secret in hockey. Ditch the crappy blades. Go stainless steel. I use 'Step Steel'
Changing the runners out is more than worth every penny

Anon
OP asked for recommendations for hands-on skate sharpener and the discussion turns into a ProSharp advertising string. So for hands-on, the guy at South Shore Sports Consignment in Wareham is excellent (but that isn't exactly South Shore). And just to have balanced views on machines, our SPARX machine is going on its third season of use. The machine has been reliable and does a consistent quality sharpening every time, and it is really convenient. No need for a "Tastes Great", "Less Filling" debate on sharpening machines.
OP also qualified his request by saying he wasn't interested in "crappy machines." I see nothing wrong with looking to re-educate the OP, or anyone else that reads the post, that machine sharpening is anything but "crappy." Maybe, instead of driving 15 - 45 minutes in The Land of Perpetual Traffic to find a decent guy, he will choose that route?

Even if the quality was equal - and it's not, it's better - given the time, hassle and rising costs (has increased from $6 not very long ago to $8 in a lot of places, which is a 33% increase when inflation is 2%), going to a home machine was one of the smartest decisions I've ever made.

Oh, and you aren't the D Board police. Don't like the responses? Don't read them. Go back to those informative discussions about 9 year old player movement.

Bought a Wissotta a few years ago and have never looked back. Have 4 skaters at home and paid for itself in the first year. Never have to run out because forgot to get them sharpened to find the local place is closed. Perfect sharpening every time. If it's not, its my own fault. Best thing is I don't have to rely on the guy at the shop doing it, wondering if they dressed the stone, and paying for a less than perfect job.

100 sharpe st
Cazault roofing
Gary rents space of to side
Bruins flag up when he is in
1-3 weekdays
7-10 weekends

Second recommending Gary in Hingham. His hours are tough sometimes but my son won't go anywhere else unless absolutely necessary. He knows his stuff. Not chancing getting some random kid with little experience running the skate sharpening machine. We've always gone with the 90/75 edge...costs $1 more but my son really likes it. We also switched to Step Steel blades after he broke 2 sets of blades within a week. Have found them to be well worth the extra $. More durable and don't require sharpening as much. Gives him a bit more height on the ice as well. Gary says they are a "pleasure" to sharpen as he can see a huge difference in the steel quality.

Foxboro Sports center is by far the best!!! Ask for Bishop!!

Bridgewater is really good ask for Greg aka the wizard he takes pride in his work.

Wissotta machine is great. More than paid for itself over the years. No more "dad my skates need sharpenging" late on a Friday with and early Sat game.

Bought my own BladeMaster (used on Craigslist) when I first put up a home rink, 7 years ago.
Have never waited in a line to sharpen skates in those 7 years. Best investment I have ever made.
I hear the "New" machines at Pure are pretty good but hey, I am still not waiting in lines, just have to head to the garage when my son needs a sharpening.

No Icing in Hudson, NH does a ton of stuff through the mail. Maybe more hassle than it's worth considering it sounds like you have some good options close by, but radius, sharpening, you name it. The guy does a fantastic job.

Anon
No Icing in Hudson, NH does a ton of stuff through the mail. Maybe more hassle than it's worth considering it sounds like you have some good options close by, but radius, sharpening, you name it. The guy does a fantastic job.
Many of the Bruins send their blades to them overnight. And they have equipment guys right at the rink.

Anon
There's a guy in Salem NH that does a good job as well. Out of his house. He has players shipping him blades to be sharpened. Couple machines and is full service. He has a webpage I believe but might be mistaken. He charges maybe $5. I guess he just likes sharpening skates.

I went to No Icing for years. The guy at pilgrim is just as good

Anon
We profile there and sharpen with a Sparx. Always happy with what they do. A bit out of the way if you don't live near or your kid doesn't play in Hudson though.

Charlie Jackson’s Weymouth

Question for those who switch out the blades, did you get backup blades or just use the cheaper blades as a backup? (Or would player not notice the difference for a short-term fix?)

Player would notice the difference if a decent skater. I use step steel and it has a much sharper bite than the steel Bauer uses. In my opinion match the steel with the backup blades.

I switched out the stock runners immediately on my son's for step. Best to match the steel. If the skates have quick release rotate pairs. They will always be close to equal and there won't be a difference.

Anon
Question for those who switch out the blades, did you get backup blades or just use the cheaper blades as a backup? (Or would player not notice the difference for a short-term fix?)
Get 2 or 3 pair of the same steel and rotate. Keeps you from running back and forth to the sharpener every week, too. Just drop the one or two pair off and come back whenever it's convenient for them.

Pure hockey now has Prosharp in several branches including Braintree one. They can do a z channel. My son find their work comparable to no icing sports’s job. I would still do Profiling at no icing though. Following people’s discussion, our impression is step steel + profiling has more impact on skating than choice of z or ROH style sharpening.

Bridgewater rink only does FBV sharpening and does profiles with prosharp

Agree with previous posting - dump the stock steel in the skates. Crazy how you buy $200 - $300 pair of skates and the most important part is garbage $20 blades.

Anon
Pure hockey now has Prosharp in several branches including Braintree one. They can do a z channel. My son find their work comparable to no icing sports’s job. I would still do Profiling at no icing though. Following people’s discussion, our impression is step steel + profiling has more impact on skating than choice of z or ROH style sharpening.
z channel is a gimmick. If your interested in profile, then why take blade off the ice?

anon
Anon
z channel is a gimmick. If your interested in profile, then why take blade off the ice?
Huh?

You may need to explain what you think Z Channel is, or how you thin it takes the "blade off the ice."

Anon
anon
Anon
Huh?

You may need to explain what you think Z Channel is, or how you thin it takes the "blade off the ice."
it puts a groove through the blade whether it be a roh or fbv sharpening. so that middle part of the blade that would be touching the ice...is no longer touching the ice, making it a slower skate. more blade on the ice = faster skate, less blade = slower skate

anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Huh?

You may need to explain what you think Z Channel is, or how you thin it takes the \"blade off the ice.\"
it puts a groove through the blade whether it be a roh or fbv sharpening. so that middle part of the blade that would be touching the ice...is no longer touching the ice, making it a slower skate. more blade on the ice = faster skate, less blade = slower skate
You may want to grab your kid's textbooks. You skate on your edges, not the middle of the blade. The middle part of the blade creates weight and drag, but no power.

Lighter blade = faster skate (admittedly, minimally).

But, more importantly, less surface area = less friction = faster skate.

Cars that set land speed records use the absolutely thinnest tires possible to create less friction. Same for soap box derby cars. Race cars need to transfer the immense power created by the engine to forward thrust, well beyond the limits of adhesion of a skinny tire. Therefore, they use fatter tires to transfer more power than they lose through friction.

It may be a gimmick, but everything I've read is that it is easier to glide on a Z Channel than on a ROH steel. I doubt it makes much of a difference under load (i.e., when striding or carving).

Also, the deeper channel gives the "snow" somewhere to go, creating less drag, versus building up under the ROH blade, creating more drag. Sort of like the tread in a tire. Here, again, I think you'd feel that less drag only when gliding.

But, a Z Channel definitely doesn't make you slower. That, sir, would defy the laws of physics.

SPARX ... worth every penny and same sharpening everytime. even we went back to the Bauer store, same guy ... he didn't sharpen the same way ... multiple people use that machine, adjustments constantly.

bought the SPARX and never complained again. i heard ProShop is pretty good and Pure Hockey is now using it instead of humans. LOL ... robots rule!

Mike1775
SPARX ... worth every penny and same sharpening everytime. even we went back to the Bauer store, same guy ... he didn't sharpen the same way ... multiple people use that machine, adjustments constantly.

bought the SPARX and never complained again. i heard ProShop is pretty good and Pure Hockey is now using it instead of humans. LOL ... robots rule!
Sorry your human got cut

Mike1775

Had the Braintree PH do both of my son's new skates and they were terrible. Sharpening came wit the skates.
Had to fix it with the Sparx.