The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hockey in Massachusetts

Hockey in mass is the reason for the rise in corona numbers, and need to be temporarily put on hold. We have to start thinking smarter and for the future. Not only are we being selfish my putting our kids in these games/ practices but as adults we are also putting our families and everyone around them in danger as well. We need to smarten up and sacrifice one season to secure the future.

Re: Hockey in Massachusetts

Baker shutting down hockey today at 3pm

that cdc piece certainly gives the state some cover if they do want to shut stuff down. sucks for all the kids.

I hope this is not true. I honestly feel bad for all kids right now. We can't go back to how it was in April with remote school and no sports or activities. Its going to get cold out. People are going to go crazy. I would hope that MA takes a different approach. Kick out spectators. Make kids wear masks for entire game and just let them take mask down to drink. Anything other than shutting it down. We all know a complete shut down for 2 weeks will turn into the whole season. Numbers are not going to go down and shutting down hockey will not stop the spread.

He not shutting it down. Just NH and ME teams won’t be allowed to play in MA

I am hearing the same thing. short term shut down.

Anon
He not shutting it down. Just NH and ME teams won’t be allowed to play in MA
False info, my son is playing a NH team tomorrow. So that blows that theory.

Probably not shutting down today but they are looking hard at it.

Hopefully he waits till Monday. We have a big "Showcase" this weekend!

I'm a MA parent starting Week 2 of self-quarantine after my kid contracted the virus in NH. He is now recovered and no longer contagious.

What Sununu is doing makes perfect sense. Let everyone that has COVID get over it, let everyone that's been exposed go through self-quarantine, and let the rinks scrub up.

MA and ME should do EXACTLY the same thing, and overlap with NH. Then resume hockey under the same protocols. No different rules by state.

But that makes too much sense.

Instead, teams will cross borders to go play where the rules are considered most favorable, and the virus will just keep bouncing back and forth.

Anon
I'm a MA parent starting Week 2 of self-quarantine after my kid contracted the virus in NH. He is now recovered and no longer contagious.

What Sununu is doing makes perfect sense. Let everyone that has COVID get over it, let everyone that's been exposed go through self-quarantine, and let the rinks scrub up.

MA and ME should do EXACTLY the same thing, and overlap with NH. Then resume hockey under the same protocols. No different rules by state.

Instead, teams will cross borders to go play where the rules are considered most favorable, and the virus will just keep bouncing back and forth.
That actually makes zero sense. So are you going to have the same 2 week hockey shut down every time a kid tests positive? Ridiculous.

Anon
Anon

That actually makes zero sense. So are you going to have the same 2 week hockey shut down every time a kid tests positive? Ridiculous.
Didi I say that it should be repeated every time there's a case?

What they SHOULD do is discontinue the academies. That's where the two NH outbreaks originated.

Anon

Or Baker takes a victory, as he normally does for his other Covid policies, patting himself on the back. NH has a pop of 1.3 million and MA has 6.3 million and Mass hasn't come close to the hotspot that NH created. Who says MA has a hockey covid problem, rinks with issues have immediately closed to clean and teams have quarantined as necessary. Seems to me that NH was not doing either and needed the gov to force his hand.

I actually agree with this. One state shutting down isn't going to do any good.

Shut down New England for two weeks. Scrub the hell out of these dumpster rinks, game on. My guess is 90% of this stuff is spread in the locker room where kids aren't wearing masks. Lock the locker rooms. Home dress, skates on at the rink. Not that hard.

anon
I actually agree with this. One state shutting down isn't going to do any good.

Shut down New England for two weeks. Scrub the hell out of these dumpster rinks, game on. My guess is 90% of this stuff is spread in the locker room where kids aren't wearing masks. Lock the locker rooms. Home dress, skates on at the rink. Not that hard.
Wow, someone that can actually read and reason!

My faith in the D Board is restored.

Anon

So using a subjective measure of "increased cases" in the entire state, because you can think of a few off-hand anecdotes, one sport should elect to shut down for two weeks voluntarily? What happens if state cases increase in that 2 week period due to an outbreak at a basketball tournament? Or a couple schools? You don't think there will be a barrier to re-entry for hockey?

I have a better idea. How about we live with the fact that when the weather changes and kids begin to get together in sports and in school, cases go up? That should be understood and accepted by now. It's the price you pay for some normalcy. Hospitals are having zero trouble handling the "traffic", and the death totals are staying level. That's the only thing that should matter. We're at 25% of the daily cases we had at the peak. For those who aren't happy even with that, get back in your bubble. See you next year.

Anon
Anon

So using a subjective measure of "increased cases" in the entire state, because you can think of a few off-hand anecdotes, one sport should elect to shut down for two weeks voluntarily? What happens if state cases increase in that 2 week period due to an outbreak at a basketball tournament? Or a couple schools? You don't think there will be a barrier to re-entry for hockey?

I have a better idea. How about we live with the fact that when the weather changes and kids begin to get together in sports and in school, cases go up? That should be understood and accepted by now. It's the price you pay for some normalcy. Hospitals are having zero trouble handling the "traffic", and the death totals are staying level. That's the only thing that should matter. We're at 25% of the daily cases we had at the peak. For those who aren't happy even with that, get back in your bubble. See you next year.
How about you put a ******* mask on, don’t have five beers with your buddies in Exeter and just try to do the right thing.

Your moaning and ******** about normalcy will not make them not shut down hockey. You trying be a responsible adult might just help having a hockey season. JFC.

anon
Anon
Anon

How about you put a ******* mask on, don’t have five beers with your buddies in Exeter and just try to do the right thing.

Your moaning and ******** about normalcy will not make them not shut down hockey. You trying be a responsible adult might just help having a hockey season. JFC.
And thats just the NH Moms!

Just to remind everyone. . .Why did we shut down in the first place?

The initial reason for the shutdown was because the concern was our healthcare facilities would be overwhelmed. Guess what, it worked, we never had an issue where beds were not available.

The only reason we should re-shutdown is if we feel the surge we should anticipate from more people coming in contact with each other will overrun our hospitals. If not, we have the systems in place to handle this. Get on with life.

Each family should decide for themselves whether to accept the added risk of participating in activities. I make decisions for me and my family. My son is on quarantine because he came in contact with someone who tested positive. I do not blame anyone for this. This was a risk we understood, and were willing to accept.

Take some personal responsibility. Make the best decision for your family, but don't force your decision on me.

Anon

If your kid is not contagious anymore can't you just get a covid test and not have to quarantine for another week?

Anon
Anon

If your kid is not contagious anymore can't you just get a covid test and not have to quarantine for another week?
Not and return to work, and not according to public safety standards. Both are built around a 14-day incubation period, which says I could actually still test negative today and the virus could develop next week.

You're actually better off getting the virus. Then it's only 10 days from onset of symptoms. Plus you build antibodies, unless you are exposed to a mutated strain.

That doesn't take into account your exposing high risk individuals, which include me because of age, but especially my wife, because of underlying health issues. We're both fine, though.

And even though he meets the CDC standard around being contagious, he can't go into a health care facility to get his EKG until 14 days from testing positive. Then, you still need to be able to get an appointment. So, he can't (safely) return to play for another week.

When the NH rules were originally announced, he was initially disappointed, because it means he'll have to wait longer. I quickly pointed out it would work to his favor, because it would allow him to "catch up" with the rest of his team.

Instead, they just changed the venue. This weekend's scheduled game against a NH team became a home game in MA. Which defeats the purpose of the NH shutdown.

So you're telling me that the rink's coordinated strategy of shutting down the livebarn cameras and crossing their fingers didnt work? SHOCKER!

If everyone did what Epstein’s Island up in Concord did and were as strict as them, however ironic that is, we would be in good shape.

We all want our kids to play hockey. The people that are on here spewing off about how the government can't impose their right to wear a mask or not are not seeing the forest through the trees. Same with the views that wearing a mask does no good. We get it, you have different political views or medical views. You can't have it both ways though - you aren't going to convince Baker, Sununu, whomever so just abide by the rules and move on.

I have kids that play hockey in NH. You can't argue the fact that 158 cases were tied to youth hockey and in turn has forced some schools to go remote. When hockey starts impacting life for non-hockey parents that's when government takes notice and that is what is happening now whether you like it or not.

Serious question:

How many people have seen players and/or parents openly defying the rules in place? It's easy and common to throw that around but I've been in multiple rinks for the past month and a half and haven't really seen it. Pretty much everyone has adhered to the one spectator, wear a mask at all times rule. If anything it seems the constant use of locker rooms and no masks on benches have been the only rules consistently broken. The locker rooms seem to have music blaring and kids hanging out same as always and I have yet to be at a game where anyone on a bench had a mask on. Maybe fix those before initiating any kind of shutdown?

I have seen maybe two people in the stands with their mask down below their nose and that is with two kids and 3 teams. What I have seen is a very good faith effort by rinks, orgs and parents to follow the rules.

I think the problem as others have stated is on the bench and in the locker room. One of our orgs sent out an email today that they are requiring masks for all players at all times unless you are taking a drink. I would think that MA will tinker with the rules before shutting down. I do think that a shut down for everything is inevitable. If Baker is using data to make decisions, numbers are going up and more cities and towns are moving into the red category every week.

So I think the only end goal was get kids into school as much as possible before we have to endure hell again. Also once hockey starts effecting schools opening/closing it will be over. Schools are high priority. Kids in school get people out working again.

Just my two cents. Hopefully no bad news today.

Anon
Serious question:

How many people have seen players and/or parents openly defying the rules in place? It's easy and common to throw that around but I've been in multiple rinks for the past month and a half and haven't really seen it. Pretty much everyone has adhered to the one spectator, wear a mask at all times rule. If anything it seems the constant use of locker rooms and no masks on benches have been the only rules consistently broken. The locker rooms seem to have music blaring and kids hanging out same as always and I have yet to be at a game where anyone on a bench had a mask on. Maybe fix those before initiating any kind of shutdown?
Great point. I asked a couple of weeks ago why we had so many people here *****ing and moaning about people not following the guidelines when my personal experiences have been very different.

Turns out we have a very small handful of people that just like to hear themselves ***** and moan.

Masks in the stands aren't the issue, though. The use of locker rooms and the frequency of contact in the academies are the culprits.

Anon
Anon
Serious question:

Great point. I asked a couple of weeks ago why we had so many people here *****ing and moaning about people not following the guidelines when my personal experiences have been very different.

Turns out we have a very small handful of people that just like to hear themselves ***** and moan.

Masks in the stands aren't the issue, though. The use of locker rooms and the frequency of contact in the academies are the culprits.
Same here. Haven’t seen anyone not wearing a mask.

Anon
Anon
Serious question:

Have you been to Exeter lately? Not just a mask thing, watch the parents outside after the game, before the game, all together close, buy the car no care in the world. I wish it was different. But if you don’t see it you are willfully blind.

anon
Anon
Anon
Serious question:

Have you been to Exeter lately? Not just a mask thing, watch the parents outside after the game, before the game, all together close, buy the car no care in the world. I wish it was different. But if you don’t see it you are willfully blind.
And still nothing happens, nothing. Zero fatalities of kids or parents. Z. E. R. O.
Business as usual in HOAX city USA. Biggest ruse ever perpetrated on the American public.

A NON
anon
Anon
Anon
Serious question:

And still nothing happens, nothing. Zero fatalities of kids or parents. Z. E. R. O.
Business as usual in HOAX city USA. Biggest ruse ever perpetrated on the American public.
It doesn’t ******* matter. I want a hockey season. Your resistance and wild conspiracy theories only achieve one thing. Kids will no be allowed to play.

Games aren't the only problem ... it's the team practices that happen 3-4x a week.

Roll into any rink on a weeknight and players are stacked on top of each other as they transition between sheets, changing in groups inside the rink and outside in the parking lots, congregating in large groups (as kids tend to do), carpooling, etc... all without masks or distancing.

It was inevitable that this would all catch up to us.

It was fun while it lasted.

I love all the people who are "hearing Baker is shutting it down", or "I talked to someone who said he's announcing it later today"....lol
You are so silly.

silly
I love all the people who are "hearing Baker is shutting it down", or "I talked to someone who said he's announcing it later today"....lol
You are so silly.

Exactly. People that rub elbows with the Governor and then hang out on the Dbaord. They do not exist.

MA hockey still a go.

Hockey or no hockey. Kids will still gather and hang out and car pool places and parents will still gather and drink.
This is not a lockdown communist state altho baker wants it to be

STFU you f-ing pinecone

Nobody asked you about your gender insecurities - this is a hockey dboard

����

Spot on Son of James.

The cash cow churns. No time for new safety procedures, not if you want to make your High School team, or the bigger D1 hockey delusion

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6941a4.htm

The figure is a histogram showing COVID-19 cases associated with a recreational ice hockey game, by date of onset (N = 15), in Florida during June 2020.
Abbreviation: COVID-19 = coronavirus disease 2019.

If people actually read the article you will see this has zero to do with youth hockey. This was a men's league 19-53 years old. They had no masks and spent 20 minutes in the locker room before and after. Probably downed some Natty Lights on the bench and locker room as well.

Shut down the men's leagues and let the kids play. All these outbreaks were because of adults being stupid. Terriers have a film session in a closed room with no masks. How stupid cam they be? Did they ever hear of Zoom?

Follow the rules or don't play. This isn't a d**k measuring contest, these are the rules. You don't like them, build your own **** rink!

I am all for them kicking all us parents out and letting the kids play with masks. I really hope this is being talked about as an option. I will do whatever I need to if it means kids can play. I sat outside rinks yesterday because that was the rule, will do it again today. Not the worst thing.

Anon
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6941a4.htm

The figure is a histogram showing COVID-19 cases associated with a recreational ice hockey game, by date of onset (N = 15), in Florida during June 2020.
Abbreviation: COVID-19 = coronavirus disease 2019.
Gee, thanks for telling us what COVID-19 refers to. Never knew that!