Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: To be a Karen or not to be a Karen?

OP
OhWell
Those Alternates are "Players". Your kid is a "Payer". It is what it is. A 10 player roster is ridiculous, parents who think their bender will get better with more game ice are delusional. Improvement happens in practice, not games. 15 players for a game is the norm. I suggest you stop counting other people's money, and worry about your own kid. If he/she was good enough you'd be "players", alas you are merely "payers". Go complain to ownership if you like, I'm guessing you're one reason away from being replaced anyways. This will make their decision easier.
Understanding that development comes mostly from practice is easy to understand. I watched a coach spend a quarter of practice trying to get control of a couple of the alternates. So instead of coaching the full paid kids (who seem to listen very well) the coach is having to waste time on kids who are alternates who don’t listen. Not to mention I was told at the start of the year that the roster was set in stone and we had the “perfect number” of players.
This isn’t Facebook, Karen. You don’t have to reply to every post.

Anon
My daughters mite team has 10 full time players and a goalie. We put her on this team because we liked the the amount of ice time she would be getting with 10 players. Fast forward to today and the team now has 17 players showing up to practices and 15 showing up to games. From talking with other parents I found out that the coach “signed” an additional 5 kids as “alternates” who only pay 1/2 price and permanently invited 2 more for practices only. Can I call the program owner and ask for the half price deal or the free practice option?
Is this in the EHF? The league requires that teams have 14 players on the roster (mites are excluded). The budget for teams is based on this amount. You can call and do whatever you want but I can tell you, as a coach, you will be looking for a new team next season.

Coaches are required to make budget or risk not being a coach next season. Get out of your bubble and understand this is a business and be happy that your kid has been seeing the added ice time early in the season. Try and remember that your tuition was based on a full roster and it should have been that way the entire time.

Anon
Anon
My daughters mite team has 10 full time players and a goalie. We put her on this team because we liked the the amount of ice time she would be getting with 10 players. Fast forward to today and the team now has 17 players showing up to practices and 15 showing up to games. From talking with other parents I found out that the coach “signed” an additional 5 kids as “alternates” who only pay 1/2 price and permanently invited 2 more for practices only. Can I call the program owner and ask for the half price deal or the free practice option?
Is this in the EHF? The league requires that teams have 14 players on the roster (mites are excluded). The budget for teams is based on this amount. You can call and do whatever you want but I can tell you, as a coach, you will be looking for a new team next season.

Coaches are required to make budget or risk not being a coach next season. Get out of your bubble and understand this is a business and be happy that your kid has been seeing the added ice time early in the season. Try and remember that your tuition was based on a full roster and it should have been that way the entire time.
EHF coach here. Mite minor should have 10 skaters. Programs in EHF do not require mite coaches to "make budget". Any coach that would threaten "You can call and do whatever you want but I can tell you, as a coach, you will be looking for a new team next season" is a complete dbag.

Anon
Anon

Yes EHF and most teams we play have 10-12 skaters.

Boys or girls team? There is NEGHL girls team with like 20 kids on the bench. U8.

Yes, you can, but you shouldn't. Be thankful for the extra ice time earlier in the season and mind your own business.

Anon
Yes, you can, but you shouldn't. Be thankful for the extra ice time earlier in the season and mind your own business.
Mind his/her own business? He or she is a paying customer. Its comparable with signing up for unlimited 4g data with Verizon but finding out that you will only receive 2g. Mite team with 15 kids playing a game with 12 minute periods is a joke. Yes, call your program and ask for the discount.

Anon
Anon
Mind his/her own business? He or she is a paying customer. Its comparable with signing up for unlimited 4g data with Verizon but finding out that you will only receive 2g. Mite team with 15 kids playing a game with 12 minute periods is a joke. Yes, call your program and ask for the discount.
A "discount." That's funny.

"Hi, coach, I'd like a discount."

Hahahaha!

Never, ever, never ever, be a Karen.

Despite whatever short term gain or satisfaction is obtained, it will not end well for you.

Do whatever you want.
There are countless people getting screwed this year, whether its bumped off the roster, not playing any games, whatever.
There are people that paid three times what you paid for their older midget/junior/prep to be screwed.
You can complain and live with the consequences, or you can shut up for the season and make a change next year.
No one here can tell you what's right for your specific situation.

why do people put their kids into club hockey at the mite level? Mites is where you find out if your kid even likes hockey? Town is more than good enough for that.

Anon
why do people put their kids into club hockey at the mite level? Mites is where you find out if your kid even likes hockey? Town is more than good enough for that.
OMG, send the fam to Gamma’s! The hell with COVID!

The gods will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger!

Such blasphemy! How will he get a full ride if he doesn’t play full ice mites? You mean you expect ME to pay for college?

Anon
We put her into club hockey because last year the mite town program we were in had 45 kids on the ice for 1 hour twice a week and the practices didn’t look good. This season cost us $225 more and we get 3 hours of practice per week, less kids on ice and the competition is much better. Both programs about 20 minutes from our house.

Get some perspective, because you sound crazy.

15 kids per game is three lines which, i assume are just running all game.

plenty of ice time for a full ice mite, who should not be playing in a surface that big.

So, basically your kid can skate up and down the ice twice and the change.

yes, ten kids and two lines are great and your kid is out there every shift, but the added skaters for this season will prepare them for programs that play "real" hockey at squirt and above, like three or four lines, spotting the 4th line and the same five kids out there for power play and the same 8 out there for Pk, so there will be periods next year that your kid gets one shift.

ie. Mites isn't real hockey, so enjoy what you got at the moment and you will realize that one shift a period or five, doesn't really matter in the long run.

and word of advice going forward ... if coach isn't running all his lines as opposed to running to a PK and PP prior to u14,then find another place to play

Anon

plenty of ice time for a full ice mite, who should not be playing in a surface that big.

yes, ten kids and two lines are great and your kid is out there every shift, but the added skaters for this season will prepare them for programs that play "real" hockey at squirt and above, like three or four lines, spotting the 4th line and the same five kids out there for power play and the same 8 out there for Pk, so there will be periods next year that your kid gets one shift.

ie. Mites isn't real hockey, so enjoy what you got at the moment and you will realize that one shift a period or five, doesn't really matter in the long run.

and word of advice going forward ... if coach isn't running all his lines as opposed to running to a PK and PP prior to u14,then find another place to play
Wow, you must have forgotten what mites is like. You wanna drive to Enfield for a 36 minute game with 3 full lines? 1 penalty screws everything up and your kids gets 2 shifts a period. They don't change on the fly all that well so you have to wait for a whistle. Full ice mites is the biggest scam going and the dumbest thing in new England hockey.

Perpraring mites for the next level?? Jesus, get a grip! Can you even hear yourself? What a bunch of crazy. Lunatics everywhere.

Mites should be half ice 3v3 with a whistle every minute or minute and a half running time. Get over yourself if you think otherwise.

Anon
Anon

Wow, you must have forgotten what mites is like. You wanna drive to Enfield for a 36 minute game with 3 full lines? 1 penalty screws everything up and your kids gets 2 shifts a period. They don't change on the fly all that well so you have to wait for a whistle. Full ice mites is the biggest scam going and the dumbest thing in new England hockey.

Perpraring mites for the next level?? Jesus, get a grip! Can you even hear yourself? What a bunch of crazy. Lunatics everywhere.

Mites should be half ice 3v3 with a whistle every minute or minute and a half running time. Get over yourself if you think otherwise.
If I drove more than fifteen minutes for mite hockey I would punch myself in the face.

I think we are in agreement otherwise. I said that mites should not be on a surface that big.

And. While I understand that mite should just be fun, but yea the objective at each level should be to prepare them for the next level.

Lastly, you lose credibility when you call someone crazy in the same post you talk about driving to another state for mite hockey.

We don't get to choose our opponents. We sign up for a team, the team plays in a league, opponents are dictated, until you get to parity, then it is different every year. It is crazy and no need for it. They should not have those teams in our leagues at mites. There's so man players and teams closer by that it doesn't make sense. Our household gets the mysterious CT flu every time we have to travel to play there.

Anon
We don't get to choose our opponents. We sign up for a team, the team plays in a league, opponents are dictated, until you get to parity, then it is different every year. It is crazy and no need for it. They should not have those teams in our leagues at mites. There's so man players and teams closer by that it doesn't make sense. Our household gets the mysterious CT flu every time we have to travel to play there.
Nice. Good teammate.

OP
Anon
We put her into club hockey because last year the mite town program we were in had 45 kids on the ice for 1 hour twice a week and the practices didn’t look good. This season cost us $225 more and we get 3 hours of practice per week, less kids on ice and the competition is much better. Both programs about 20 minutes from our house.
“the competition is better”

Are you actually making that statement about mite level hockey? Good God!

must play for top gun that is the only team i know of that gets 90 minute practices

Anon
Most Girls Programs are free for U8 levels, I would strongly recommend the Lady Flames if you are in Central Mass, great program and they will have the highest levels of competition in the area. If you are at a town program, I would recommend bringing up the discrepancy in tuition to the organization, if they don't do anything for you, go to another program that offers this level for free and do both.

You get what you pay for.

If it’s for free it ain’t for me.