Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Time to move up?

They’ll take that money though...

Anon
Before y’all flame me, my bender is top scorer on a rainbow team with 1/3 of total team points. Based on that metric alone, is that enough to move him up? I know he could stay where he is but I want him to continue to develop. Thanks.
It really depends. What’s his +/- ? How many PP goals does he have? Short handed goals? How does he tape his stick...does he leave the toe exposed or go with the full sock? Does he carry or roll his bag into the rink? Who ties his skates?

I agree w llast post. Not really the taping of stick but the other

Wheels
I agree w llast post. Not really the taping of stick but the other
He’s about +30 on the season through 25 games.

A couple sh goals. Rotation on pp but goals there too. This is a lousy team with poor d and goalie yet still big +/-.

You might get an alternate spot on an E9 club

Rollo Tomassi
Our e9 team has a feeder system and it doesn't include pulling kids up from within our own program.
Coach looks for EHF elite kids who are being cut or EHF T1 kids who want to say they play "elite", so reach out to your local e9 coach.

Anon
Rollo Tomassi
Our e9 team has a feeder system and it doesn't include pulling kids up from within our own program.
Coach looks for EHF elite kids who are being cut or EHF T1 kids who want to say they play "elite", so reach out to your local e9 coach.
Do we (our kids) play for same team?

Depends on the age ... anything below 12U just stay put

This is awful advice. Why would you keep your kid who is dominant on a crappy team until the age of 12? And then somehow believe magically at 12 years old after years of not being pushed and skating with dusty benders that he will be good enough to move up to anything? This makes zero sense posted by someone who’s probably on a town bteam and thinks that it’s the same as competitive hockey.

Put your kid at the highest level that they can play well at. Hopefully they can continue to develop and move up the ladder and progress as a player. Listen to that guy and both your kids will be cut off the same Hs JV team as juniors. Never listen to a person who references teams levels as u10 or u12. Red flag

Your late though. Most teams only have a few spots open if anything this late. Try and reach out to teams that are better and see if you can go to practices. Coaches will tell you if it’s a fit. Good luck.

I guess different strategies work for different families ... I knew my kids could play and loved the game, so I was willing to wait.. But if you don’t have an eye for athletic talent or you're insecure like the HockeyWhisperer, it’s probably better to constantly be looking for the next best thing.

HockeyParent
I guess different strategies work for different families ... I knew my kids could play and loved the game, so I was willing to wait.. But if you don’t have an eye for athletic talent or you\'re insecure like the HockeyWhisperer, it’s probably better to constantly be looking for the next best thing.
Play lower level hockey=develop like a low level player

Same concept goes for town.

Kids who stay in town develop at the town rate.

HockeyParent
I guess different strategies work for different families ... I knew my kids could play and loved the game, so I was willing to wait.. But if you don’t have an eye for athletic talent or you\\\'re insecure like the HockeyWhisperer, it’s probably better to constantly be looking for the next best thing.
Play lower level hockey=develop like a low level player

Same concept goes for town.

Kids who stay in town develop at the town rate.

It’s very simple. Better teams allow for better and faster execution of practices, drills and gameplay.

Been there, seen it, know it.

I’m sorry you had to watch your bender not develop into the player you’d hoped he be, that must have been very frustrating

HockeParent
I’m sorry you had to watch your bender not develop into the player you’d hoped he be, that must have been very frustrating
I'm good, my kid plays prep.

How does he enjoy 3rd line at BB&N?

Sorry. Perhaps I was too gruff, it’s been a long weird season. I didn’t mean to offend you. Free expression on the dboard. Please allow me to clarify. This posters feelings are theoretically great and would probably be awesome advice 20 years ago. Let’s have fun in town hockey until 12 and we will save money and he will play with kids in his neighborhood and he’s a great athlete so he’ll be all set to advance and good teams will gobble him up after they see him in “tryouts.”

But as someone who’s put one kid through and another in the midst, this is just not a very realistic approach for most kids. While your bender’s been playing slow hockey and watching jimmy next door do snow angels during practice and having a blast, there are 30 elite and tier one players in each organization at the same age group playing and practicing against the best in the state or country depending on league/team. It is very hard at age twelve to walk on a good tier one team. Almost impossible to do it at the elite level. Go take your town or lower level all stars and go play mid-Fairfield. They will roll you by 70 and your kid will get whiplash. It’s hard for people to understand just how good some of these teams are. Right or wrong these teams are in high demand. There are many excellent tier 1 players that never get asked to advance. It’s hard and all the kids are very competitive. I’m sure someone will post and tell us about their town player who just inked an elite contract with the islanders at 12. But about same odds as winning mega-millions.

The truth is every choice is different depending on what kid and family wants and most will end up being lucky to play HS hockey. Make the choice that’s best for your player but just please be realistic with your expectations. If you want to try playing competitive hockey, I would put him on the best team that doesn’t overwhelm you or your player as soon as feasible.

Yeah, I’ve got three playing now, first 2 played town hockey until age 12, one played on a team that was 50% girls as a Squirt, and both migrated to Elite teams as PWs. The youngest one might be even better than the first two, but is still playing town hockey for now ... so I guess I better buy that powerball ticket. ... the truth is there is very little you can do as a parent to change your child’s trajectory as a player. They either have the talent and drive or they don’t. Jumping from association to association thinking it will make them better is fool’s errand.

Play town until age of twelve. Can’t really do anything to help your kid. Then ride a unicorn into tryouts wearing your tinfoil hat and just “migrate” onto an elite team as a teen. Because he’s athletic. Simple as that.

I’m not familiar, is this how everyone gets into the e9?

Correct, not much you can do as a parent to change the trajectory of your child as a player. Sorry you wasted so much time and money on your bender to get to the same situation.

This last post is a fraud, a fake. A double agent. Impersonating someone on the D Board. What loser. Identify yourself! This was not from The HW.

Anon
Before y’all flame me, my bender is top scorer on a rainbow team with 1/3 of total team points. Based on that metric alone, is that enough to move him up? I know he could stay where he is but I want him to continue to develop. Thanks.
Based on how many goals he scores against weak competition? No. How he skates yes.

This is spot on, skating is the skill that matters most, you see so many benders who can shoot or dangle but are sloppy skaters, those are the kids that get exposed when they try to move up.

If your kid is competitive and is athletic and you provide tons of quality private skating instruction he will be able to make an elite team going into high school. But at that point why would it matter, by then your looking at prep or juniors in the future. And they sure as heck don't care where your bender played.

You can teach skating very difficult to teach hockey IQ. If he has the IQ move him up

Play for the coach not the level. Though being in the same boat I’d rather see my kid score 15 goals a season rather than 40. If you have a chance to play at a higher level especially if coaches are calling then you should.

Anon
Play E9 so you can tell your buddies he plays elite. Then when HS comes, change sports so he doesn't get embarrassed for getting cut.

Yes, Dave it’s time to move my kid up.