Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mite Major Question

Come on maaaaan. Mites = Young moms all around. Literally drowning in Snizz.

Must be the bandits...if so....run!

Two things matter in youth hockey. A short commute and a good coach. Don’t worry about elite vs t1.

Question
My kid is a low level elite but has an offer from an elite team. The coach seems to run a pretty poor practice and we dont get the feeling that he knows hockey. Diff program same league the T1 Coach offered us a spot. Practices have looked very good and coach seems like he knows hockey and has good personality. Do we go with a year at elite and take a chance on a unknown coach or go with T1 and a coach who is legit.
If you didn’t like the practice why the hell would consider sending him their?

Parents are clueless. I coach an elite Fed team and have countless stories about parents wanting to get their kid on my roster for the wrong reasons. Parent just last week emailed me saying they want their kid with my team next season. This family has never seen my practice and know nothing about my personality. So why would they want their kid to plat with me? It’s because they’re chasing the title of elite. I’ve said this to 100’s of players over the last 5 years, “Find a coach that can develop a player for the long haul and never worry about the league or level.”

But can I worry about the ratio of hot to ugly moms?

Question
My kid is a low level elite but has an offer from an elite team. The coach seems to run a pretty poor practice and we dont get the feeling that he knows hockey. Diff program same league the T1 Coach offered us a spot. Practices have looked very good and coach seems like he knows hockey and has good personality. Do we go with a year at elite and take a chance on a unknown coach or go with T1 and a coach who is legit.
I'm going to go against the grain here. If we are talking an EHF elite team then you jump at the opportunity to join unless it's the BB. There are only so many of these roster spots to go around and once the teams are formed in mites they usually go unchanged all the way through bantams, any turnover they have is typically replaced with other elite tagged cuts. I'm sure someone on here will spout off an exceptional case but none of the programs promote from within, so joining a T1 team with a great coach will not lead your kid to that program's elite team. It can be a difficult climb to get that opportunity again and trust me, later on, you will want that opportunity. The elite ehf level best prepares your kid for HS and no coaching at a practice can replicate the speed of the games or the talent of the players at that level.

anon
Question
I'm going to go against the grain here. If we are talking an EHF elite team then you jump at the opportunity to join unless it's the BB. There are only so many of these roster spots to go around and once the teams are formed in mites they usually go unchanged all the way through bantams, any turnover they have is typically replaced with other elite tagged cuts. I'm sure someone on here will spout off an exceptional case but none of the programs promote from within, so joining a T1 team with a great coach will not lead your kid to that program's elite team. It can be a difficult climb to get that opportunity again and trust me, later on, you will want that opportunity. The elite ehf level best prepares your kid for HS and no coaching at a practice can replicate the speed of the games or the talent of the players at that level.
Hahahaha this is possibly the dumbest reply Ive ever seen. Mite Major and high school referenced together! Joining a T1 team will not lead to elite team! Holy Cow.

"so joining a T1 team with a great coach will not lead your kid to that program's elite team" ha this guy in left field picking daisy's

anon
Question
I\'m going to go against the grain here. If we are talking an EHF elite team then you jump at the opportunity to join unless it\'s the BB. There are only so many of these roster spots to go around and once the teams are formed in mites they usually go unchanged all the way through bantams, any turnover they have is typically replaced with other elite tagged cuts. I\'m sure someone on here will spout off an exceptional case but none of the programs promote from within, so joining a T1 team with a great coach will not lead your kid to that program\'s elite team. It can be a difficult climb to get that opportunity again and trust me, later on, you will want that opportunity. The elite ehf level best prepares your kid for HS and no coaching at a practice can replicate the speed of the games or the talent of the players at that level.
Good lord please find help. This is clearly a FED Elite coach who has zero clue. If a coach told this to my face when my kids were mites I would have run away as fast as my short fat legs would have allowed.

Go w the coach. My kid peewees and looking back I can name countless parents chasing elite title vs letting the kid develop. I can name countless kids who would drive to enfield and barely touch puck. Get on a tier one black team and develop w a good coach. If your kid develops and is good enough the elites will find him. Cream rises to top FACT

Lmao
Go w the coach. My kid peewees and looking back I can name countless parents chasing elite title vs letting the kid develop. I can name countless kids who would drive to enfield and barely touch puck. Get on a tier one black team and develop w a good coach. If your kid develops and is good enough the elites will find him. Cream rises to top FACT
LOL!!!!! No one and I mean no one is finding your T1 rainbow star. You are all caught up in how it should be and not how it actually is. And that T1 unicorn coach is just going to get himself a gig coaching elite in a year or two anyway, and he won't be bringing your kid with him.

Its mite hockey, doesnt make a bit of difference. Find the team with a couple friendly hot moms, it helps pass the time standing in the rink watching a group of kids fall over the place much more tolerable. I have an 07, 10, and 12. Its a refined science. You're welcome

Levels at squirt and mite mean zero - Coach means a lot

what a ridiculous thread. "My low level elite player" :joy: Your kid is 8, that's all he is.

Question
There isn’t any good coach that can do magic for your kid. Genetics plays the major role here. What parents can do is to find a good fit where the kid will work hard, and make sure it will be fun for both the kid and family. Try to get educated about the process and make necessary investments in skills to help the kid get better. Every family has their unique situation. What works for a stud player may not work for an average bender. My kid has played for town, select, and elite team coaches. If he stayed with the best coach, he would be only playing on bottom town teams, but he definitely enjoys hockey more as he moves up the ladder.

Mite level is to determine if your kid even likes hockey and wants to continue? If they show special skill or initiative they can move up into "elite" status by squirts.

My God people what are you all doing?

Anon
Mite level is to determine if your kid even likes hockey and wants to continue? If they show special skill or initiative they can move up into "elite" status by squirts.

Nobody on this thread is questioning the label that goes with each level. We’re debating what’s a better option for development... Good Coach at T1 or Terrible coach at Elite.

Anon

Gotta love the "Elite Status" by squirts comment you dumb shat. People please realize that were talking about a 7 year old here. Elite at Mite Major or even squirts is as important as a bag of peanuts. Worry about levels peewee maj and bant min. And trust me, if your kid has the right coaching he will be just fine.

Anon
Question
There isn’t any good coach that can do magic for your kid. Genetics plays the major role here. What parents can do is to find a good fit where the kid will work hard, and make sure it will be fun for both the kid and family. Try to get educated about the process and make necessary investments in skills to help the kid get better. Every family has their unique situation. What works for a stud player may not work for an average bender. My kid has played for town, select, and elite team coaches. If he stayed with the best coach, he would be only playing on bottom town teams, but he definitely enjoys hockey more as he moves up the ladder.
Good and bad coaches everywhere, every level, every league. For a mite maj through squirts find a team that is balanced from top to bottom with a shorter roster. Look for a coach that makes kids learn all positions, isn’t soft, runs a good practice and has some hockey background. Stay away from coaches that are all about wins. Stay away from coaches that favor the better kids with double shifts lol

Yikes with this thread! Coach is important. Just as important as SKILLS for a mite. Wouldn’t be concerned with the level. In response to the BB comment, as a bandits parent, I’ve seen great individual player progress with a lot of bandits mite major kids who also love the sport. Going to practice and skills is where development happens. Doesn’t matter if a team has had a losing year. Go with your gut and where your kid will develop best and love hockey!

Don’t worry about the level. Have your kid play where he/she is most comfortable. That means with the coach, kids on the team, and the parents. Just make sure your kid is having fun. You would rather have your kid be at top of the roster on a tier 1 team than the bottom of the roster on an elite team. It will be better for you and your kid for the long term.

This is good advice. To go from a good situation with coaches and teammates to one where the level is higher but the coach turns into a douche and or the teammates don’t click will make for a painful season of regret.

Try to be open minded, you could be biased if you only had limited interaction with a coach and how he runs practices and games. In the end, go with your gut feeling and make the best out of whatever you may experience. Your 7/8 year old is already ahead of most kids of the same age, so as long as he is being pushed and have fun, it doesn't really matter much if he goes to elite or T1. He will eventually be playing at his level.

Forget a team till peewee. Skills all of squirts.

Not sure why this is even a question. You can’t be concerned with “level” at mite and squirt. Find the program that is offering the better coach and go with them.