email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Summer Help

Anon
The people telling you to avoid the spring and summer teams are the parents of kids that couldn’t make those teams. Do what your kid wants to do. Don’t force them to do skills or camps. At the mite level concentrate on skating and edge work.
There are so many of them that anyone can make "those" teams. Sorry to have to be the one to break it to you.

Imagine the concept of a vacation in the summer while your kid who loves hockey also gets to play in a tournament? Wild idea isn't it.

Gteve Sriffen
Imagine the concept of a vacation in the summer while your kid who loves hockey also gets to play in a tournament? Wild idea isn't it.
Keep telling yourself that these summer tourneys are vacations hahahaaa.

anon
Gteve Sriffen
Imagine the concept of a vacation in the summer while your kid who loves hockey also gets to play in a tournament? Wild idea isn\'t it.
Keep telling yourself that these summer tourneys are vacations hahahaaa.
Haha try hard enough and you can convince yourself on anything

ANON
New to this so trying to navigate, what am I thinking for coming here for actual advice?

Anyways, MITE aged kid. Where do I spend my money this summer? A couple week long camps? Or would the money be better spent getting a few private lessons with a skating coach? The reason I ask is that the thought of a skating coach for a mite aged kid seems like nonsense to me, but what are you in hockey without skating skills? I'm sure a camp will focus some on skating, but probably not in depth like a skating coach would?

Anyone gone through this and have some advice, one way or another?

TIA
First, as others have said, make sure you have time to be a family, and your kid to be a kid. Second, advice on figure skating is spot on or even figure skating instructors that do skill sessions for hockey players. In my experience, these groups are small so kids actually get the attention to detail they need. Name

If you can wing 1:1 financially, it works great because you set the schedule and in 30 minutes your player will be exhausted. Other than that, invest in a net & maybe 4x6 artificial sheet for your driveway so your kid can stick handle and shoot when HE feels like it.