Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: kid going through a slump

I don’t know how old your child is, but we had a similar experience with my first one when she was in high school. We ended up send her to a Sports Performance Psychologist and she has been doing great since then.

Typical bat**** crazy mite parents

it's extremely common for mite level parents to throw the kids into extra skills and spring leagues worrying their kids will fall behind if they don't keep up. The owners of the spring leagues love parents who think like this. I tried it for a couple of years until it was obvious my son spent the back half of spring league mailing it in. The first year i didn't sign him up for spring league he was chomping at the bit by summer and had better focus and energy getting back to hockey. Get your kid outside when the weather turns nice. Baseball, lax, soccer, etc. Doesn't matter. Let them play with friends in good weather. They'll be happier with the change of pace and probably become better athletes. My son is now in HS and asking for off-season skills and training. Huge difference. I know it will be money and time well spent. There are kids who have the drive to play all year at a young age but they are outliers and not the majority. Hockey season is long enough without adding 10 additional weeks to it.

Two ideas:

Burnout --- as others have said, taking even a month off can do wonders. Mine (eventually) took the spring/summers off from hockey (until HS). They all said after the first practice back 'it was nice being on the ice again'.

Head --- happened to my second. He was so worried about making a mistake he was always 'the second one there'; at times 'where did that come from' but 95% it was the other. This could be internal (just the way they are), but more than likely from you or his coaches. It can be subtle. How many coaches say 'if you miss the net' you will do laps/pushups etc. So what happens: they all shoot right at the goalie/middle of the net.

It is not the strongest or swiftest athlete that thrives it’s usually the individual that is most willing to change. Great young athletes makes changes before they need to and others make changes when they start to struggle, while some athletes never make the necessary changes and fall back to mediocrity or just find another interest. Just don’t let hockey become a chore.

Best quote of the year.
"Just don’t let hockey become a chore."

My 08 loves to play but every few months i can see it is becoming a chore, work, obligation. Especially When he asks me, "do I have practice tonight?", I know he is cooked. I tell him, only if your up to it...if he calls in, he gets to erase the brain and reenergize. Nothing wrong with that.

I’m burnt out on hockey practices, games and skills and all I do is sit in my car and drive. This season is also dragging on, parity is delayed and our coach wants to hold practice at least 1x/week until parity....which will be right before the summer camps start? I know we’re lucky to be playing, but my kid has been skating since the end of June with no end in sight...

All the prodding, pushing, criticism, hating on coaches, spending half a day in a car for 15 minutes on the ice, $$$, shaming your kid with teammate comparisons, spring tourneys, summer camps, useless tryouts, looking for the next great team, league, coach...IT WILL ALL BE WORTH IT WHEN YOUR OFFSPRING MAKES THE BIG SHOW!!!, lol

Anon
All the prodding, pushing, criticism, hating on coaches, spending half a day in a car for 15 minutes on the ice, $$$, shaming your kid with teammate comparisons, spring tourneys, summer camps, useless tryouts, looking for the next great team, league, coach...IT WILL ALL BE WORTH IT WHEN YOUR OFFSPRING MAKES THE BIG SHOW!!!, lol

This might be the greatest and most accurate post the dboard has ever seen.

Post full of loooooozahs. All of you. My kid begs to be on the ice. I encourage not discourage.

A lot of you belong in the PHL of parenting.

Like they say......... If you ain’t got haters you ain’t poppin.

My Bender has been in a slump since he first laced them up but he loves it!

anon
long term lurker here so I know I'm gonna get flamed for asking a question about my mite major, but it's a serious Q so any serious advice would be appreciated ahead of the off season.

so my kid has always loved hockey ever since he discovered skates, and still drags us to practice/games instead of the other way around, but this season has been slowly going downhill for him. if you saw him at practice, he is big, fast and has great puck skills and can beat anyone in battles on his very, very good team. you'd think he's a beast in games and he used to be, but as the season went on, he's been fading more and more and frankly is mostly a non-factor in games now. the coaches still love him and think he's developing well, but anyone watching the games can tell he just seems lost out there. sometimes for a shift or during a rush, he'd actually pin his ears back and suddenly he'd jump out at you as easily the best player on the ice, but those most of the time, he just seems to be coasting to the wrong place at the wrong time and is a total non factor.

so this has been difficult to watch. we aren't a crazy hockey family that yell at kids, but he'd come out of games and feel sad about not playing well. we tell him that he's doing all right and that slumps come and go, but at the same time, i'm just puzzled why his skating and skills no longer translate into games. he used to carry the team and he's still easily their best skater and skilled forward at practice, but i'd be lying if i didn't admit that he's a 2nd liner at best these days. kids that he dominates in puck battles in thursday practices completely outshine him in saturday games.

now that the season is mercifully winding down, i'm going to advise him to hang up the skates for a while. maybe he's just burning out after a long and weird season, although most of his teammates are thriving. anyone else with ideas?
I really hope this is a joke.

I was going through a slump for a few months this year then I focused and 1 weekend I went 2 for 2. Kicked it off at the Pilgrim with a 40 something blond in a Canada goose jacket and then I went slummin down in providence and picked up a little critter from PHC. Her kid was the backup goalie. That got me rolling again.

Quick observation, Mite Majors don't have slumps. They go to the rink and skate around, some days with some excitement and energy, some days not so much. Just relax, don't show them your emotions about there lack of energy. You job is to get them to the rink, be there biggest fan and let them have fun. No matter where they are, if they not having fun, it doesn't work. So Relax, your not taking them to the show, they are, and get ready, they may not want to be an NHL players or for that matter a college player. Your goal now can get them to there HS team or prep team, JV or Varsity, if they make the team as a freshman you've done your job. There'll take it from there if they want it. You can bring them to the door of opportunity but only they, can walk through it. Good Luck

Wow what has the dboard become? OP is Trolling and actually getting legitimate answers!

Anon
Wow what has the dboard become? OP is Trolling and actually getting legitimate answers!
OP isn't trolling. OP actually paying attention to the advice here. yesterday we got an email about spring/summer hockey, and I told the little one that it may be a good idea to skip that and go play some soccer. the response was a "WHAT!!! but i love hockey". but as others have said, it's been a long and strange season. he's been skating since june and has been mailing it in recently. he's a very natural skater and a few months off won't change that.

thanks yall and now you can go back to your regular programming about 2010 movements and 2008 coaches.

In other words your kid is mediocre. Wonder where he gets it from.

"All the prodding, pushing, criticism, hating on coaches, spending half a day in a car for 15 minutes on the ice, $$$, shaming your kid with teammate comparisons, spring tourneys, summer camps, useless tryouts, looking for the next great team, league, coach...IT WILL ALL BE WORTH IT WHEN YOUR OFFSPRING MAKES THE BIG SHOW!!!, lol"

Just because I resemble the above comments doesn't make me a bad Daddy. I look at it as parental guidance. When my star is 18 I will get your kid an autograph to show no hard feelings.

Anonified
"All the prodding, pushing, criticism, hating on coaches, spending half a day in a car for 15 minutes on the ice, $$$, shaming your kid with teammate comparisons, spring tourneys, summer camps, useless tryouts, looking for the next great team, league, coach...IT WILL ALL BE WORTH IT WHEN YOUR OFFSPRING MAKES THE BIG SHOW!!!, lol"

Just because I resemble the above comments doesn't make me a bad Daddy. I look at it as parental guidance. When my star is 18 I will get your kid an autograph to show no hard feelings.
But they make all the Disney characters give out autographs at the park, and yes, people pay for that, and to get their picture taken too. I'm sure you will be so proud!

Anonified

This is what’s wrong with youth sports.