Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Let the games begin

Anon
Anon
Time to cut throats and take no prisoners. Contract time.
Screw your coach, and your team. Parents hang by the door avoiding eyes.
February in hockey town.
Coward coaches waiting until after tryouts to let kids know. Sorry coach, you have been cut.
On the the other hand. Coward families waiting until last minute to tell coaches they aren’t returning. Happens all the time. Tis the season.

Ahh yes. But they are the consumer spending their money where it best suits them.

Like every year, early Feb is when play dates, house invites start with the coaches kids and coaches wives socializing to help with a spot. It’s comical.

Love listening to parents say coward coaches waiting til tryouts. Isn’t that the point of a “tryout” to see who makes the team? If you can’t wait til tryouts then there’s the door and good luck shopping your kid around to all the “elite” teams within an hr drive. All this nonsense would end if A - parents were realistic about their kid and not bouncing from program to program looking for “elite” status and B - if contracts were not allowed to go out until early April after all tryouts have been had.

Anon
Ahh yes. But they are the consumer spending their money where it best suits them.

Like every year, early Feb is when play dates, house invites start with the coaches kids and coaches wives socializing to help with a spot. It’s comical.
You like having play dates with your kids coach?? Yikes

I told my son's coach we won't be back next season a few weeks ago as a courtesy. He has yelled at my son (12 years old) and checked him into the boards during practice. So my advice is do not tell your coach till the last second. I thought that was a douche move, but now I know why people make that move. We are moving to a team within the same league, so that will be fun to play them next year.

anon
I told my son's coach we won't be back next season a few weeks ago as a courtesy. He has yelled at my son (12 years old) and checked him into the boards during practice. So my advice is do not tell your coach till the last second. I thought that was a douche move, but now I know why people make that move. We are moving to a team within the same league, so that will be fun to play them next year.
Sounds like you made the right decision. EHF or E9?

It doesn’t really matter when or why families move on from a team. If they feel it’s a better fit for their family in another org- that’s their right. Same with coaches- if you don’t like my bender, then don’t offer opportunities to him during the season and You won’t have to ask us to leave.

EHF

anon
I told my son\'s coach we won\'t be back next season a few weeks ago as a courtesy. He has yelled at my son (12 years old) and checked him into the boards during practice. So my advice is do not tell your coach till the last second. I thought that was a douche move, but now I know why people make that move. We are moving to a team within the same league, so that will be fun to play them next year.
It never works to tell the coach in advance. I have seen it happen where the coach takes it out on the kid.

Teams have the opportunity to fill spots at tryouts and have not reason to get mad. Coaches get mad because the parent is telling him/her that they are cut.

you would think a coach would be mature about it when told in advance and given respect and courtesy. Nope. Ego.

Years of friendship can be shoved down the toilet, just looking for the supposed better opportunity.
The grass is often just as green where you are.

Anon
Years of friendship can be shoved down the toilet, just looking for the supposed better opportunity.
The grass is often just as green where you are.
People leave for many reasons and ALL of them are valid. Same goes for cutting a kid.
Why should a friendship end just because a parent chose a different pathway? You don't see this with baseball, lax or even school choice? If a family chooses to leave, wish them well and have a beer with them the next time you see them.

Some coaches feel they own the players in youth hockey.

all valid reason to move on.. better team, better coaching, better environment, less drama, convenience, better cost

From my experience with the older guy, The grass isn't always greener in the other leagues rink and the devil (as in coach/team/families/kids/org) you know is better than the devil you dont.

I had to rebuild a bridge for my older guy because he went to a team that was not a healthy environment from top to bottom and from parents to kids.

Envy is an evil thing, you dont see it, feel it, but can sense it! So whatever you do, never burn a bridge cause you might want to come back. And good coaches won't burn em either.

You weren’t friends to begin with, you probably knew this, but forgot.