The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Elite vs Rainbow

If your kid plays on a good platinum team, and there's a chance to move up to the elite team, do you always take it, or is it sometimes better to wait?

We just got a call from the elite coach last week and it sounds like there may be a spot for him to move up this year. I can see why, because he's seen my kid in practice and he looks great. But on the other hand, similar to that recent thread, my kid hasn't really stepped it up in games and doesn't stand out. I spoke to his T1 coach, who thinks he'll benefit from another year on T1 but ultimately is supportive of whatever we want to do.

So is it a good idea to move up if he's not even dominating his T1 games? He's certainly got the speed to skate with the elite team and wants to move up. Both the elite and T1 coaches seem good. Would a kid generally benefit more skating with the elite team, or stay in T1 where he has more of a chance to dominate? He's a 2011 if that matters. Is there a window where the door to the elite team closes?

Re: Elite vs Rainbow

Anon
If your kid plays on a good platinum team, and there's a chance to move up to the elite team, do you always take it, or is it sometimes better to wait?

We just got a call from the elite coach last week and it sounds like there may be a spot for him to move up this year. I can see why, because he's seen my kid in practice and he looks great. But on the other hand, similar to that recent thread, my kid hasn't really stepped it up in games and doesn't stand out. I spoke to his T1 coach, who thinks he'll benefit from another year on T1 but ultimately is supportive of whatever we want to do.

So is it a good idea to move up if he's not even dominating his T1 games? He's certainly got the speed to skate with the elite team and wants to move up. Both the elite and T1 coaches seem good. Would a kid generally benefit more skating with the elite team, or stay in T1 where he has more of a chance to dominate? He's a 2011 if that matters. Is there a window where the door to the elite team closes?
Non even a dispute. Move up.

Tier 1 coach is only saying that because he only cares about his team not your kids development.

He will benefit greatly from competing against better faster kids at practice. Which will also bring you and he a reality dose of how good he is. Realizing that it isn’t hard to standout on a lower team will either make him work harder and strive to be better or flat out tell you he wants to stay down.

Even if he isn’t producing in games it will be. Water to play at that level. The kids who produce big numbers or every game lowers drastically as you move up in talent.

Move him up.

Anon
Anon

Non even a dispute. Move up.

Tier 1 coach is only saying that because he only cares about his team not your kids development.

He will benefit greatly from competing against better faster kids at practice. Which will also bring you and he a reality dose of how good he is. Realizing that it isn’t hard to standout on a lower team will either make him work harder and strive to be better or flat out tell you he wants to stay down.

Even if he isn’t producing in games it will be. Water to play at that level. The kids who produce big numbers or every game lowers drastically as you move up in talent.

Move him up.
Sounds like a dad trying to decide for his kid. Of course you would say move up and not even ask the right questions.

What does the rest of it mean for your player and family? Same organization or further travel? Fringe player just making the cut this year and ready to be the first cut next year? Does he have friends on the team? How are the other families? Is the grass really greener? Is your player the kind of kid who can handle suddenly going from keeping up to not quite being able to? Do you think he's better than the worst 3 kids on the team now?

If you're good with the answers then do what you think is best.

If your current coach isn't telling you to think about it and decide for yourself, then he's not doing his job. Always layout the options.

I have seen more athletic and aggressive kids stay in town and get passed by less athletic club kids, because the latter get pushed more at every practice and game. I have also seen kids start at the bottom of elite teams but work hard and end up becoming better players. Everything being equal, if you want your kid get challenged and he is motivated, play in elite if he has the chance. There is no guarantee that he won’t be cut next season, but statistically it is harder to move up at older ages.

Elite is better for development if your kid is elite material, but it is hard to tell from your post. Discuss the pros and cons with your kid and let him decide.

Anon
Elite is better for development if your kid is elite material, but it is hard to tell from your post. Discuss the pros and cons with your kid and let him decide.
My kid's 9 so of course he wants the elite label. Same organization so travel the same. Parents seem nice at both levels. He's a greater skater so he can keep up with anyone in practice, but he doesn't play with confidence and he doesn't stand out in games. On his current team he tends to let others dominate the puck, even though IMHO he's got higher skills than his 2 line mates. We were surprised to get the call from the elite coach, but it wasn't a promise of a spot. Just that he's interested and we'll still have to see how the tryouts go in 2 weeks. My kid will probably look good in the tryout, but we aren't sure if it's a good idea to move him up. The kids on the elite team seem a lot more aggressive.

Coach is more important than level 10 times out of 10

agree- Coach is a huge factor... 3rd line on Elite vs 1st line on Tier 1? More chances to carry the puck at tier 1..... does he have buddies on T1 team? Do you?
It's a marathon not a sprint. kids develop at different paces.

Chasing levels at squirt hockey hahahahahaha. Go with coach you trust all day

Anon
Anon
My kid's 9 so of course he wants the elite label. Same organization so travel the same. Parents seem nice at both levels. He's a greater skater so he can keep up with anyone in practice, but he doesn't play with confidence and he doesn't stand out in games. On his current team he tends to let others dominate the puck, even though IMHO he's got higher skills than his 2 line mates. We were surprised to get the call from the elite coach, but it wasn't a promise of a spot. Just that he's interested and we'll still have to see how the tryouts go in 2 weeks. My kid will probably look good in the tryout, but we aren't sure if it's a good idea to move him up. The kids on the elite team seem a lot more aggressive.
If your kid isn’t productive and confident at platinum or gold why would you think he’s going to all of a sudd change just because he has the elite status?

Jesus 9 year old parent stressing a level wow. Choose a good coach and short travel

Pick the better coach. If same, pick the team with better and more yoga pants. Your welcome.

Don’t worry about level until bantam minor. Make sure he’s in a competitive league with good coach and good teammates.

Play on silver. My kid getting 2 goals a game. Will pay off in long run

How do you know that a T1 or low level elite level kid develops better at elite? Just curious.

Holy **** another parent who thinks level of play in squirts is important???? Hahaha. Play for the program with best coach and friendly. Schedule.

Vin Dog
How do you know that a T1 or low level elite level kid develops better at elite? Just curious.
All kids dev at diff ages. Best bet is to go with good coach and team with most friends

The levels work. They sort the players and allow for proper placement. Very low level elite player aren’t meant for elite.

D
The levels work. They sort the players and allow for proper placement. Very low level elite player aren’t meant for elite.
Nah. Every year some new kids will step up to the competition they are put against and pass by those “big kids” or the ones that love the game for the goals and used to dominate. Anybody’s game. Game changes every year at every age. Teach your kid to work hard for their spot on their team.

Terriers, Islanders or Bandits??

anon
Terriers, Islanders or Bandits??

Breakers, Top Gun, or Providence?

I believe the original poster said "good platinum team." 10-21-2 and 6-16-1 kind of eliminate a couple of those teams. Providence, who knows.