Re: State of MA hockey

Snon
Chance of a D1 commit.

MA .0013
MN .0017
MI .0019
So you’re saying there’s a chance!

You beat me to it. Delta between MI and MA is .0006 or .06%. Not statistically significant. Not sure what the OP was trying to say except it's hard to get a D1 commit no matter where you live. On the bright side it's close to a 100% chance to get a beer league commit so let's keep the debate going on who has the best team/league/state for youth hockey.

Snon
Chance of a D1 commit.

MA .0013
MN .0017
MI .0019
So my kids have a better chance of being a D1 commit than they are of catching COVID.

anon
Snon
Chance of a D1 commit.

MA .0013
MN .0017
MI .0019
So my kids have a better chance of being a D1 commit than they are of catching COVID.
This sentence is a real brainteaser

data - you don't see that too much on here. I do think it would be more interesting though to see the commits broken down by dad played in college/nhl or is connected vs. not especially relative to the other states. I bet its under 10 out of the 56 here in mass :face_with_rolling_eyes:

Are those the total number of hockey players in those states? Shouldn’t you only use the total number of players who would be eligible to commit?

On another note Murray your daughter is pretty cute. We're going to the movies later. Don't worry I won't miss practice and hope I don't get benched. By the way, I grew up in NY but played Junior in Canada. What are my chances for a D1 commit or should I just go pro? Sincerely, Dean Youngblood

I do not think you're going anywhere with coaches daughter. It's that time again...time for tea, Ms. McGill

Anon
I do not think you're going anywhere with coaches daughter. It's that time again...time for tea, Ms. McGill
Ding Ding

Mass registration numbers by age below.

Total Massachusetts USA hockey registrations: 41,794

By age:
19+: 3,543
17-18: 3,191
15-16: 5,363
13-14: 6,733
11-12: 6,755
9-10: 6,337
7-8: 5,194
U6: 4,678

https://cdn4.sportngin.com/attachments/document/2210-1687681/2020-21_Season_USA_Hockey_Final_Registration_Report.pdf#_ga=2.221285085.490831908.1633458505-1873845890.1633458503

Murray Chadwick
Fun Fact of the day:

Of the 666 D1 committed players for 2022, 2023, and 2024 (according to College Hockey News), here are the stats.

MA - 56 players, 41,794 registered players in MA. It would be interesting to see broken down by age.
MN - 92 players, 55,284 registered players in MN.
MI - 58 players, 31,212 registered players in MI.

Let the haters hate, don\'t shoot the messenger or you get benched by Chadwick.
What message are you attempting to get across here? That my 9 year old in MA has 0.13% chance of getting a D1 commitment? Which is the same likelihood for a 12 year old and 16 year old from this state? Or that a 15 year old from MI is 12% more likely than an 8 year old from MN to get a D1 commitment?

anon
Murray Chadwick
Fun Fact of the day:

Of the 666 D1 committed players for 2022, 2023, and 2024 (according to College Hockey News), here are the stats.

MA - 56 players, 41,794 registered players in MA. It would be interesting to see broken down by age.
MN - 92 players, 55,284 registered players in MN.
MI - 58 players, 31,212 registered players in MI.

Let the haters hate, don\\\\\\\'t shoot the messenger or you get benched by Chadwick.
What message are you attempting to get across here? That my 9 year old in MA has 0.13% chance of getting a D1 commitment? Which is the same likelihood for a 12 year old and 16 year old from this state? Or that a 15 year old from MI is 12% more likely than an 8 year old from MN to get a D1 commitment?
There's no message here. Mad Murray just took a few too many shots to the head in his good old days with the Rangers before coaching the Mustangs to glory when Youngblood beat up Racki

I see the Murray's point. If this data is combined with active NHL players from MA, MI and MN or on the USNDTP, there is a correlation and it would be statistically significant. In fact, I'd argue that the separation gets greater.

Boomski Goldberg,

MN - 55 Active NHL Players
MI - 42 active NHL Players
MA - 24 active NHL Players

USNDTP

MN - 3 players
MI - 4 players
MA - 1 player

Anon
Boomski Goldberg,

MN - 55 Active NHL Players
MI - 42 active NHL Players
MA - 24 active NHL Players

USNDTP

MN - 3 players
MI - 4 players
MA - 1 player
USNDT
Minnesota - 9
Michigan - 3
Mass - 3

Goldberg the Goalie
I see the Murray's point. If this data is combined with active NHL players from MA, MI and MN or on the USNDTP, there is a correlation and it would be statistically significant. In fact, I'd argue that the separation gets greater.
Not sure your point. The OP was talking about D1 commits, not NHL or any level of pro. You could potentially bring in Tier 1 Junior (NTDP) as most of those kids will play D1. But at the end of the day the numbers will still come out to say that in every state it's well over a 99.9% chance your kid is playing no further than high school unless he wants to play club or D3 if he or she can make a team. At the end of the day (and this is the youth hockey board) we should all be focused on allowing our kids to have fun, support them and enjoy the time with them through high school. If you want to improve your chances from 0.03% to 0.06% by all means move to the upper midwest. For all of the debate on who has the better program or league, or state, all roads eventually lead to beer league. For the most part the silent majority on this board knows that and have their kids playing to help make them better men and women, allow them to have fun and provide them with great life experiences until they head off to college and/or adult life. If you're on the D Board looking for the path to D1 and pro, I promise you won't find it.

Anon
Goldberg the Goalie
I see the Murray\'s point. If this data is combined with active NHL players from MA, MI and MN or on the USNDTP, there is a correlation and it would be statistically significant. In fact, I\'d argue that the separation gets greater.
Not sure your point. The OP was talking about D1 commits, not NHL or any level of pro. You could potentially bring in Tier 1 Junior (NTDP) as most of those kids will play D1. But at the end of the day the numbers will still come out to say that in every state it's well over a 99.9% chance your kid is playing no further than high school unless he wants to play club or D3 if he or she can make a team. At the end of the day (and this is the youth hockey board) we should all be focused on allowing our kids to have fun, support them and enjoy the time with them through high school. If you want to improve your chances from 0.03% to 0.06% by all means move to the upper midwest. For all of the debate on who has the better program or league, or state, all roads eventually lead to beer league. For the most part the silent majority on this board knows that and have their kids playing to help make them better men and women, allow them to have fun and provide them with great life experiences until they head off to college and/or adult life. If you're on the D Board looking for the path to D1 and pro, I promise you won't find it.
At the end of the day I'm just trying to get my 7 year old to not use a wheelie bag. At the end of the day your on the wrong board.

anon
Anon
Goldberg the Goalie
I see the Murray\\\'s point. If this data is combined with active NHL players from MA, MI and MN or on the USNDTP, there is a correlation and it would be statistically significant. In fact, I\\\'d argue that the separation gets greater.
Not sure your point. The OP was talking about D1 commits, not NHL or any level of pro. You could potentially bring in Tier 1 Junior (NTDP) as most of those kids will play D1. But at the end of the day the numbers will still come out to say that in every state it\'s well over a 99.9% chance your kid is playing no further than high school unless he wants to play club or D3 if he or she can make a team. At the end of the day (and this is the youth hockey board) we should all be focused on allowing our kids to have fun, support them and enjoy the time with them through high school. If you want to improve your chances from 0.03% to 0.06% by all means move to the upper midwest. For all of the debate on who has the better program or league, or state, all roads eventually lead to beer league. For the most part the silent majority on this board knows that and have their kids playing to help make them better men and women, allow them to have fun and provide them with great life experiences until they head off to college and/or adult life. If you\'re on the D Board looking for the path to D1 and pro, I promise you won\'t find it.
At the end of the day I'm just trying to get my 7 year old to not use a wheelie bag. At the end of the day your on the wrong board.
Who bought the wheelie bag? The 7 year old? Do you also yell at the coach or kid when the kid is late on the ice because you got there late after an extra drink at the bar and haven't finished dressing him?

Anon
anon
Anon
Goldberg the Goalie
I see the Murray\\\\\\\'s point. If this data is combined with active NHL players from MA, MI and MN or on the USNDTP, there is a correlation and it would be statistically significant. In fact, I\\\\\\\'d argue that the separation gets greater.
Not sure your point. The OP was talking about D1 commits, not NHL or any level of pro. You could potentially bring in Tier 1 Junior (NTDP) as most of those kids will play D1. But at the end of the day the numbers will still come out to say that in every state it\\\'s well over a 99.9% chance your kid is playing no further than high school unless he wants to play club or D3 if he or she can make a team. At the end of the day (and this is the youth hockey board) we should all be focused on allowing our kids to have fun, support them and enjoy the time with them through high school. If you want to improve your chances from 0.03% to 0.06% by all means move to the upper midwest. For all of the debate on who has the better program or league, or state, all roads eventually lead to beer league. For the most part the silent majority on this board knows that and have their kids playing to help make them better men and women, allow them to have fun and provide them with great life experiences until they head off to college and/or adult life. If you\\\'re on the D Board looking for the path to D1 and pro, I promise you won\\\'t find it.
At the end of the day I\'m just trying to get my 7 year old to not use a wheelie bag. At the end of the day your on the wrong board.
Who bought the wheelie bag? The 7 year old? Do you also yell at the coach or kid when the kid is late on the ice because you got there late after an extra drink at the bar and haven't finished dressing him?
His dead mom you jerk!

Murray Chadwick may be a mongoloid, but MA has ZERO kids on the u17 USNDTP to MN’s 5. I seen it

ANON
Murray Chadwick may be a mongoloid, but MA has ZERO kids on the u17 USNDTP to MN’s 5. I seen it
There are two on the U-18 team, a forward from Hingham and a Goalie from Norwell. The U-17 team has 3, from Amherst, Lexington, and Arlington. Maybe you can check their rosters and see again.

Anon
ANON
There are two on the U-18 team, a forward from Hingham and a Goalie from Norwell. The U-17 team has 3, from Amherst, Lexington, and Arlington. Maybe you can check their rosters and see again.
Pretty easy to check:

https://www.usahockeyntdp.com/roster/show/6584422?subseason=764306

https://www.usahockeyntdp.com/page/show/6558227-u-s-national-under-18-team?subseason=764306

is it actually 0 from MA?

So the totals are between u17 and u18

9 from MN
3 from MA 0 o n u18? No Hingham no Norwell>

https://www.usahockeyntdp.com/page/show/6584422-under-17-team?subseason=764306

https://www.usahockeyntdp.com/page/show/6558227-u-s-national-under-18-team?subseason=764306

Point made.

anon

9 from MN

Point made.
If you click on "Rosters" for the U-17s it brings up the roster from 2 years ago for some reason. I think that's where the other poster got the Norwell and Hingham kids. They were on the team in 19-20.

Anon
anon

9 from MN

Point made.
If you click on "Rosters" for the U-17s it brings up the roster from 2 years ago for some reason. I think that's where the other poster got the Norwell and Hingham kids. They were on the team in 19-20.
Yeah, that Hingham kid from 2 years ago is Matt Beniers. First overall pick in the draft this year. MA didn't do too bad there...

Anon

is it actually 0 from MA?
The poster spoke of the U-17s. There are 3. None on the current U-18 roster

A lot of wasted ink here but the OP's main point remains unaddressed - what are MN/MI doing differently to get better outcomes, assuming the MA youth hockey gene pool isn't materially different/worse.

I have no clue. Have never been to MI or MN. People say MN kids only play town hockey until HS, but I'm not sure why that matters. MA has too many clubs so the talent is thinned out, but on the other hand how is town any better at concentrating the talent? Only other thing I can think of is that MN/MI get colder so maybe they get more outdoor hockey time.

anon
A lot of wasted ink here but the OP\'s main point remains unaddressed - what are MN/MI doing differently to get better outcomes, assuming the MA youth hockey gene pool isn\'t materially different/worse.

I have no clue. Have never been to MI or MN. People say MN kids only play town hockey until HS, but I\'m not sure why that matters. MA has too many clubs so the talent is thinned out, but on the other hand how is town any better at concentrating the talent? Only other thing I can think of is that MN/MI get colder so maybe they get more outdoor hockey time.
They get tons of ice time in outdoor hockey parks/ outdoor lakes

How South Americans play pick up soccer all day long Minnesotans play pick up hockey all day long

We have too much hockey that claims to be elite. We have too many people trying to make a quick buck with their “elite in name only” teams and summer tournaments. By the time you reach high school age, you have your local high school, hockey academies, Catholic conference, prep schools and full season teams as options. All these right now are fighting for air with prep / half season and maybe 2 full season teams remaining the top option - for now. We play with local teams so much, talk about ourselves so much, that a lot of people are unaware how good the Midwest kids are. Once and if our kids make it to juniors (and I mean Tier 1 and 2), you look back and think, there was too much ego and not enough joy and development in NE. Anyone here formerly from MN or MI to add a point? (Consider also that not everyone who commits to D1 actually makes the team, and if they make the team, they may sit a lot).

You should do New England many players play over state lines in the FED.