Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prep Recruiting Rules

There are so many trolls on this board it's amazing.

Unrecognized talent
I am thinking there is a rule that prevents certain schools from contacting parents. My son is heavily recruited by a number of prep schoools in New England, I have yet to receive a call back or email from the schools in Needham, Brookline or Braintree.

I'm assuming there are policies at schools preventing them from calling me back because as I said he is getting recruited heavily by other schools, not Marcus Dupree style but lots of good conversations.
There is definitely a gentleman's agreement amongst a majority of coaches. It is just common decency.
But the real reason is probably because your kid is too young for the locals....they are not that interested in underclassman unless your kid is a total and complete stud.
If he's gone through a couple year of split and HS and is killing it then they will eventually get back to you. If not then there is no interest.
It's also possible the other schools know you have some dough and it is not easy to find 4 lines of kids to fill out a team. They can't give out 20+ scholarships.

I have an 08 “stud” who is being recruited from prep schools and beyond. I say beyond because I had a missed call from a number I didn’t recognize, I googled it and it comes back to a B. Cassidy our of Wellesley.

Beat that.

Jerry
I have an 08 “stud” who is being recruited from prep schools and beyond. I say beyond because I had a missed call from a number I didn’t recognize, I googled it and it comes back to a B. Cassidy our of Wellesley.

Beat that.
Brenda Cassidy is a nice lady.

Unrecognized talent
I am thinking there is a rule that prevents certain schools from contacting parents. My son is heavily recruited by a number of prep schoools in New England, I have yet to receive a call back or email from the schools in Needham, Brookline or Braintree.

I'm assuming there are policies at schools preventing them from calling me back because as I said he is getting recruited heavily by other schools, not Marcus Dupree style but lots of good conversations.
Or maybe those schools are not interested.

There's no policy they just don't care about a 14 year old. Repeat freshman year then they will show interest when you call them as a sophomore and or older. If your son is a high honors or honors student then admissions will negotiate because the schools want great academic athletes regardless of the sport. My oldest is top in the class and goes for almost nothing. Was thrown up on varsity all three sports. There a reliability factor they take their chances on academics unless your full pay. Only other option is cattle herding selects school and good luck beating out a Canadian for a spot on the real team!!

Despite what some people may think, there are coaches out there, including the ones at the schools you mention, who feel no need to kiss the rear end of a 14-year old kid or his delusional parents. There's no "rule" - maybe they just have some pride and perspective. Kids are going to go to play for those coaches at those schools. They'll coach whomever shows up.