Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Refs - Its "Official"

As absurd as the below might seem on the surface, there is some hint of possibility in today's cancel culture world.

"Awww, what a catastrophe, little suburban Johnny BMW cant go away to his Indigenous Day hockey tournament because of no referees. And the fake news is, it is because of misbehaving SUV driving hockey Mom's terrorizing 70 year old referees.

Maybe the DOJ should deem these white bread hockey hotties domestic terrorists.

Beware,The Woke mob are coming after hockey for all the obvious reasons."

You win the internet!

Maybe we should just put "Safe Spaces" in every rink so refs that get their feelings hurt will have a quiet place to get away from everyone, relax and eliminate the stress of all that yelling.

Anonaref
Ask any ref in a confidential setting what the issues are as they relate to the shortage of refs and you will not hear anything about hockey parents barking.

Most of these refs are pro's, in the sense that they are refing hockey, lacrosse or umpiring baseball/softball. They could give a crap less about a barking dog at the rink.

Read above to see many of the core issues.
I've been working on ice on & off for 15 plus years. In my experience the "professional refs" are a small minority of the youth hockey world and are also part of the problem. They work too many games per day, generally Bantam and above for the add cash, they start getting tired, missing calls, out of position, etc. and then chaos ensues. I think everyone complaining about scheduling is working with the same assignor and I could guess who he is because I've never been assigned a game more than 20 miles from my house unless I asked for it. I've also never had a desire to work U 20 games, stay for play tournaments, etc., I started initially to help offset the costs of my kids playing.

We have five certified officials in my family, only two currently working. The person who talked me into doing this quit four years ago and if you ask him he'll tell you: coaches, parents, & players. My oldest son walked away this year for the same reason and I'm doing the same.

If you think this is a new issue, you need to go back and search the dboard archives as the exodus began about five years ago. I recertified last season but I never worked a game. Coming into this season, I realized I didn't miss it and will let my certification expire next month. (FYI, I never drew and unemployment check or any other government handout last year and neither did my son, so the enhanced benefits played zero part in our decisions)

There are certainly a myriad of reasons for the shortage as our experiences and motivations all differ but too dismiss the behavior of the parents, players, and coaches as any part of the cause is misguided.

Have always thought there are a few bad apples out there ruining it for all.. This goes for players, coaches and parents.. Give them the gate and a next game suspension and I can assure you things will change. Look at it at baseball level.. No arguing balls and strikes. Asking a ref for clarity on a call should always be allowed but swearing and screaming, threating not acceptable. We all know the ref quality has been poor now for the past several years and now losing more refs is a disaster. Have some class and respect and work towards solving the ref shortage issue. I have never refed in my life and played and coached since 4. I agree with many of the refs as the amount of pay for morons that shout vulgarities is not worth it. Free reign for frustrated parents to tee off on a ref after a long week at work is so obvious. Get rid of the bad apples and lets play hockey.

Many good points already mentioned above. I have been reffing for 10 years and have learned that the key to keeping things under control is game management. Much easier as an adult than a kid. Very hard for a 14 year old to deal with an adult mite coach acting like a idiot. My son reffed for one year and was out because of this type of nonsense.
I do multiple sports and the start up and the yearly recertification required by USA hockey is much more time consuming than all of the other sports combined. The reason refs are doing 5-7 games a day is that if we didn't many more games would be cancelled. Finally hockey pays the least per game by far than the other youth sports. Youth Football $65 per game, Girls and boys lacrosse $75 per game, Soccer $60 per game, field hockey $60 per game, Basketball $55 per game. Ice Hockey $32-$42 per game depending on the level. Do the math - where would you go if you had the choice.