email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Officials needed

From a Ref
I'm a ref and do keep up with ongoing training sessions but I've yet to find a seminar or program that teaches you how to ref solo. Please pass along any continuing training sessions that address this and I'll be happy to take a look. I've been taught how to ref in a two, three and four man system. I worked four solo games this past weekend and didn't ask to be solo on any of them. Back to the OP, we can use your help, lace em up and lend a hand.
If I were a ref I wouldn't do it alone even if the pay was doubled.

I actually want to start officiating but cant until he go to a seminar. However, there are no more seminars to attend within a 100 miles of my house. Mass Hockey put a nice spin on the issue, but the bottom line is Mass Hockey is doing nothing to recruit officials.

Just visit the official seminar registration page and take a look at the opportunities for new officials in all other areas of the country. MN - 32 upcoming seminars. NY - 18 MD - 5 even Maine has 8. Massachusetts scheduled seminars for new officials ZERO! Pretty obvious what the issue is.

https://www.usahockey.com/officialseminars

anon
I actually want to start officiating but cant until he go to a seminar. However, there are no more seminars to attend within a 100 miles of my house. Mass Hockey put a nice spin on the issue, but the bottom line is Mass Hockey is doing nothing to recruit officials.

Just visit the official seminar registration page and take a look at the opportunities for new officials in all other areas of the country. MN - 32 upcoming seminars. NY - 18 MD - 5 even Maine has 8. Massachusetts scheduled seminars for new officials ZERO! Pretty obvious what the issue is.

There were seminars in August, September and October (last one 10/16) & I don't believe any were sold out. Yup, MA hockey is too blame for the loss hundreds of officials over the last four years.

anon
anon

There were seminars in August, September and October (last one 10/16) & I don't believe any were sold out. Yup, MA hockey is too blame for the loss hundreds of officials over the last four years.
How many of the social media posts or emails to the membership provided a sharable link to sign up or help promote? If you want us to be part of the solution, share the plan to fix the problem and give us the tools to help! Are parents and coaches that much worse today than when we grew up? From what I can remember, no.... Has society gotten softer, YES! Do all you snowflakes buy into sensationalized narratives that do nothing to unite and only divide, YES! If there is a ref shortage, play fewer games and hold more practices. As a coach, I signed up to coach, not ref because Mass Hockey isn't doing enough to be part of the solution other than point the finger at us and blame us.

From a Ref
I'm a ref and do keep up with ongoing training sessions but I've yet to find a seminar or program that teaches you how to ref solo. Please pass along any continuing training sessions that address this and I'll be happy to take a look. I've been taught how to ref in a two, three and four man system. I worked four solo games this past weekend and didn't ask to be solo on any of them. Back to the OP, we can use your help, lace em up and lend a hand.
I'd like to see the OP try and call offsides in a one man Pee Wee game, let alone U-14 & above. Even if you stay up a bit in the offensive zone, a quick breakout pass happens and no way you are beating them to the blue line to see a kid a half step over the blueline.

To the one man crew, just do your best with the dangerous stuff and I'm good.

anon
From a Ref
I\'m a ref and do keep up with ongoing training sessions but I\'ve yet to find a seminar or program that teaches you how to ref solo. Please pass along any continuing training sessions that address this and I\'ll be happy to take a look. I\'ve been taught how to ref in a two, three and four man system. I worked four solo games this past weekend and didn\'t ask to be solo on any of them. Back to the OP, we can use your help, lace em up and lend a hand.
I'd like to see the OP try and call offsides in a one man Pee Wee game, let alone U-14 & above. Even if you stay up a bit in the offensive zone, a quick breakout pass happens and no way you are beating them to the blue line to see a kid a half step over the blueline.

Yup. I have had to do it at the Peewee level but not higher and I wouldn't do it because you can't see all the crap behind the play, and that's when games get out of control.

After the first couple of times I had to go solo, I learned that before the game I needed to approach both benches, with all players, tell them I was by myself, I was going to miss stuff, I would do the best job I could but if it started getting out of control, it would be a steady parade to the box, which just ruins the game for everyone.

2 officials are needed at full ice games. Too much is missed with one official. Parents should never bark at officials but coaches have a little more at steak. The situation is unfortunate for all so if money is the issue than leagues and orgs need to increase the pay to attract more refs.

Dont they understand my child plays in the elite level hockey and needs elite referring to ensure he gets a D1 Scholarship.

anon
From a Ref
I\'m a ref and do keep up with ongoing training sessions but I\'ve yet to find a seminar or program that teaches you how to ref solo. Please pass along any continuing training sessions that address this and I\'ll be happy to take a look. I\'ve been taught how to ref in a two, three and four man system. I worked four solo games this past weekend and didn\'t ask to be solo on any of them. Back to the OP, we can use your help, lace em up and lend a hand.

The OP is talking about squirt and mite, not u14. Read then respond. It will help you understand.

From a Ref
Aw poor (no pun intended) refs 😂

what is the pay for a mite or squirt game?

anon
what is the pay for a mite or squirt game?
It depends on league/assignor but general terms

Mites: X-Ice: $30 Full Ice $40-$45
Squirts: VHL $34, E9/BHL: $45, Fed/PHL $45-$50
Pee Wee: VHL $38, E9/BHL: $50, Fed/PHL $50-$60

Again these rates are representative, some org's/leagues pay a little more.

What is the big deal with Mite & Squirt games and the need for 'certification' for basically a play-date for little kids learning to skate? For Town games throw the junior hockey player out there, pay him $70-$80 a game and have him drop the puck. Move the certified coaches to older kids games or higher end tournaments and let's move on. Seems USA Hockey has out thought themselves again.

it starts at the top with zero programs turning away a check whether they need to add 30 more games to a schedule or not, and goes right through awful parents.

Could officials start their own union?

anon
What is the big deal with Mite & Squirt games and the need for 'certification' for basically a play-date for little kids learning to skate? For Town games throw the junior hockey player out there, pay him $70-$80 a game and have him drop the puck. Move the certified coaches to older kids games or higher end tournaments and let's move on. Seems USA Hockey has out thought themselves again.
So your logic is to take a 14 or 15 year old kid that got certified a few weeks ago and have them doing Pee Wee & above games from day 1? I don't see how anything could go wrong in this scenario.

anon
anon
So your logic is to take a 14 or 15 year old kid that got certified a few weeks ago and have them doing Pee Wee & above games from day 1? I don't see how anything could go wrong in this scenario.
Your reading comprehension sucks pal.

Anon
anon
anon
What is the big deal with Mite & Squirt games and the need for \'certification\' for basically a play-date for little kids learning to skate? For Town games throw the junior hockey player out there, pay him $70-$80 a game and have him drop the puck. Move the certified coaches to older kids games or higher end tournaments and let\'s move on. Seems USA Hockey has out thought themselves again.
Your reading comprehension sucks pal.
My son 17 reffing a U14 game by himself got totally yelled at by the coach the whole game. Then after the game the parents yelled at him the whole way to his car F.U. Great parents. And you wonder why people don’t want to ref.