Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Advice for youth coaches

Said this on here before but the way hockey goes in New England is bizarre. It’s as if parents have too much at stake or invest this time like the rest of their child’s life depends on what level, what team, what tournaments is next. The hard part for me is listening to parents that I’ve grown close with talk about coming back next year or not. They ask everyone about tryouts and do a lot of close face talking. I don’t think I’ll ever get used to it. Strange thing is not many college level players come out of the program I’m currently with. We didn’t see any of this at program we were with back home and that program produced good high school, Junior and college players regularly. Just wonder why it’s so different

It’s not bizarre. Maybe you want your kid to stay at whatever level they are at forever. Guessing low.

Most want there kid to improve so they move up a level if possible. Different things are important at different levels. Brick team for mites, Q for PW. People will move teams to parti****te in these experiences. Some just to play in the Fed elite. And people do invest time and money to compete. So if your teaching and sportsmanship doesn’t garner a competitive team then people will eventually go. Bottom line.

It’s not 1980. Get over your sanctimonious disdain for people who don’t want to stand still in development and wait for the god of tryouts to allow them to find out if they get to play on his crap ass team.

Who gave the dboard link to the town team coach? I’m done with non elite hockey talk.

Anon
It’s not bizarre. Maybe you want your kid to stay at whatever level they are at forever. Guessing low.

Most want there kid to improve so they move up a level if possible. Different things are important at different levels. Brick team for mites, Q for PW. People will move teams to parti****te in these experiences. Some just to play in the Fed elite. And people do invest time and money to compete. So if your teaching and sportsmanship doesn’t garner a competitive team then people will eventually go. Bottom line.

It’s not 1980. Get over your sanctimonious disdain for people who don’t want to stand still in development and wait for the god of tryouts to allow them to find out if they get to play on his crap ass team.

Who gave the dboard link to the town team coach? I’m done with non elite hockey talk.
MA parents like to act like their kids are very special. Bottom line, its a problem and you can clearly see it when looking at rosters in the more serious levels of hockey. We all know its not 1980. Trust me, in the 80's people took youth sports a lot less serious and had much better results across the board. MA hockey has become watered down due to the amount of club teams pulling every dollar they can. You can take stab at guessing people who are posting having a low level player, but I'm very confident that my experience goes much deeper than yours. The way most parents handle youth hockey in MA is bizarre and it needs to change. Or maybe MA parents like seeing their kids get beat out for D3 spots by warm weather states? Gives them something to complain about!

By the time tryouts start you’ll not have anyone to choose from - all good players will have signed elsewhere. So it’s going to be your kid (who is the best player on the team anyway, we all know it), and a bunch of kids and parents that don’t care enough to plan for next year. Would work for a town team where kids tend to stay with the same org unless they want to go club route.

would be awesome if this is the way it worked. unfortunately, you have to work the side door and make deals. if not, your team is screwed. teams are already full for next year. sucks, I learned the hard way.

LoL
By the time tryouts start you’ll not have anyone to choose from - all good players will have signed elsewhere. So it’s going to be your kid (who is the best player on the team anyway, we all know it), and a bunch of kids and parents that don’t care enough to plan for next year. Would work for a town team where kids tend to stay with the same org unless they want to go club route.
Understand that the level your player is competing at really doesn't matter to any coach besides the ones that coach teams that you need to pay to play on. Its the way youth hockey works. If you are paying to play you are very average and should be focused on loving the game and learning life lessons. Previous post had it right. If your player is good enough they will move on to the next level.

Former NHL star Ray Ferraro was asked to talk to parents of a hockey club that was going through a tough time, with parent expectations at an all-time high.
This is what Ferraro told the parents.
– Minor hockey is out of control in terms of Parents chasing the dream for their kids instead of kids deciding on their own how passionate they are for it and how bad they want it.
– In the last 10 years only 21 kids who either pla*** at NSWC or BWC have appeared in at least ONE NHL regular season game. Point is if your banking on your son collecting an NHL pay cheque to solidify his and yours financial ***ure you seriously need to stop and come up with a new plan and now.
– The odds of going pro are extremely low but the odds of having to find a career and a job to pay bills and be a husband and father are extremely high and it’s not dictated by if you pla*** AAA hockey
– Parents need to enjoy the ride while you have it … your son’s minor hockey days end too quickly and often times people end up regretting what they did not know then and what they ending up missing because they were focused on everything but their kid having fun
– As a parent who devotes time and money to your son, the only right you have to ask is they give it their best … not how much ice time they get, if they play on the PP, who is their winger or D partner
– Don’t pay for power skating, dryland training, skill development and expect your son to score 50 goals, if you decide to invest in extras do it because your son asked for it and wants to improve and has a smile on his face each and every time … too many parents decide what they want their kids to do instead of their kids asking to do it.
– 12 month hockey is wrong … organized skills sessions, tryouts, spring hockey is too much and too taxing … kids can shoot pucks, stick handle, play street hockey but they need out of the mental insanity of a hockey rink and need to be engaged in something other than hockey … the time away reinforces the passion to want it
– Coaches are coaches we all know the game and think this should be done a certain way … how come we never tell our kids math teacher how to teach calculus but we think as parents we have the right to tell a hockey coach how much ice time and with whom and when our kids should play.
– When you evaluate your kids season, never base it on how many banners they won, what provincial they won, what tourneys they went to and won … ask yourself what improved from September to April, what did he learn or improve upon including non-hockey stuff … evaluate the season besides wins and losses but gains and improvements. Just let them play, learn and develop. Pressure is high enough, no need to make it worse.

Speaking on the ‘Cam and Strick Podcast’, he reveals he one time gave the worst pre-game speech ever – just by telling the truth.

“My dad has a youth hockey tournament every year in my hometown, he goes to the arena on December 26th from 8 in the morning until 9 at night for four straight days. And a couple years ago I went home, and he wasn’t feeling great, so I told him: ‘Look, stay here, I’ll go over to the arena for a few hours for you’.”

“So I went over and I got there and one of the coaches just said: ‘Hey, listen, I got an 8 year old team, can you go and talk to my boys before the game?’. I told him: ’You know what? I’m the wrong guy”. He said: ‘No, no, come in and say whatever you want to say for a few words’. I said to the guy again: ’Look, I’m not kidding you, I’m telling you I’m the wrong guy for that’. But he insisted.

So Gretzky did as he was told, and told the kids to simply enjoy the game.

”I walked in to the locker room, said hello to the boys, and then said: ’Now remember, you’re 8 years old, it doesn’t matter if you win or lose. it’s how many goals you get’. The coach just looked at me like he was gonna have a heart attack! I said to him: ’I told you I was the wrong guy for this job’.”

”That’s what I feel about kids hockey and kids sport. Just go out and have fun, just go play. If you win or lose doesn’t matter when you’re 8 years old. You’re not gonna remember it when you get older, it’s all about having fun, getting better and enjoying the game. That’s how I’ve always looked at it.”

Again…I feel like I’m arguing against the entire well intentioned Great Lakes family. I’m sure you skate on rainbows with unicorn helmets at home. The initial rant was a comment on tryouts and no promises. I would encourage you to get real if you are a new coach or parent In New England high level hockey, contracts go out in two weeks. Like it or not, you have to play ball.

And I believe that most high level teams want to compete, but your player needed to be skating with a team or exposed a month ago, minimum. a reserve situation is better, or move back to the Great Lakes. There are no borders or boundaries in M*** hockey and only way for you to be competing is to hand out contacts ahead of tryouts. Right or wrong. Thanks for understanding coach. Good luck!

Arricles about Gretzky and talk about developing doesn’t really matter and are not relevant to this issue. Unless you play remote town b hockey, then this may be a feasible plan. Otherwise it’s I’ll advises.

Wondering what age and level you coach at that you feel this way?