Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Don’t Rush

Anon
anon
Most upper level guys have told me they won't take a player looking to move up seriously unless they already dominated their lower level. Why should they?
So happy for Matt and his family. Well deserved.

While I agree with the premise that people are too quick to rush to the next league.

If you believe that Matt put his equipment away at the end of the season and didn’t touch it until the next season you are insane.

USA and MA Hockey love to regurgitate this over and over however all of their kids and the kids that made it did not do this.

Yes they pla*** multiple sports but they did not take the off season off.
You sure about that? What year are you talking about? Just make sure you have facts straight haha

Anon
Anon
anon
Most upper level guys have told me they won\'t take a player looking to move up seriously unless they already dominated their lower level. Why should they?
So happy for Matt and his family. Well deserved.

While I agree with the premise that people are too quick to rush to the next league.

If you believe that Matt put his equipment away at the end of the season and didn’t touch it until the next season you are insane.

USA and MA Hockey love to regurgitate this over and over however all of their kids and the kids that made it did not do this.

Yes they pla*** multiple sports but they did not take the off season off.
You sure about that? What year are you talking about? Just make sure you have facts straight haha
Yes. Sure about that. I am aware that he pla*** lacrosse and golf and hockey wasn't his number one sport, until he was about 14.

Once identified and on the path for the NTDP he went with hockey full time year round, which was when he was 14. In fact look at articles from that time from USA Hockey:

https://www.mahockey.org/news_article/show/951434

https://www.usahockeyntdp.com/news_article/show/867918

a quote from during that time - "Few teens in the country are on the ice and in training as often – and fewer still are playing against the elite talent – as Boldy on a very regular basis. The seasons are long. The days can be long. But wearing the U-S-A has a way of driving a player to take advantage of the remarkably rare opportunity."

so yes, he put the bag away for a few years of youth hockey but by 15 he was all in, while USA and MA hockey keep telling us that the path is still multiple sports during high school ages.

Being told to not rush development, wait until you dominate a level until you advance, take time off from hockey fall under the logical category. Hockey parents are anything but logical right now.

Love the sentiment but that’s a complete lie. Just look at his elite prospects, he pla*** in the Brick and that’s always included a spring filled with tournaments.

Of course anyone who makes it far in hockey loves to lie about what they did or how they got there! Hockey parents have become piles of puke.

New to being a youth hockey parent with just 7 years under my belt but pla*** competitive hockey until 24 years old. This sport needs serious adjustment starting with parent behavior and parent expectations.

Actually, this sport needs serious adjustment from rink owners, coaches, and USA Hockey. Rink Owners care only about the money. Coaches are addicts. USA Hockey is an insurance company for personal liability. You are absolutely correct the sport needs a readjustment.

Anon
Of course anyone who makes it far in hockey loves to lie about what they did or how they got there! Hockey parents have become piles of puke.
"For me, I remember when I was six, I would skate eight hours a day," he told CBC News in 1982

https://www.cbc.ca/archives/the-young-wayne-gretzky-was-already-the-great-one-1.4684050

Anon
Love the sentiment but that’s a complete lie. Just look at his elite prospects, he pla*** in the Brick and that’s always included a spring filled with tournaments.
I agree with you.... if your playing in the Brick AND Quebec, thats 10 and 12 year old hockey. Travelling, practicing a TON on the summer and fall. Matty aint tellin ya'll al the truth. Been there done that.

Ah yes, but the rules you impose on me are only to be followed by the minions. Not the coaches and their offspring. The front of the line for your type. Do as I say. Not as I do. Got it.