email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: WILL O'NEILL HOCKEY FACTORY

Anon
Love the pep stuff, it’s a fun productive rep through the drill. Problems is too many kids. I ran a USA hockey activity tracker for my boy, out of a 60 minute session he spent 11 minutes in the drill and 49 minutes in line. Not a productive use of an hour, IMO.
Agreed. My kid did it for a while. He said it was fun and useful but the drill line was a little long. Plus it depends on which kids are there. Too many mites or bad skaters will slow everything down too.

Way too many kids and not enough reps for the most part and zero individual instruction for kids not doing it right which means he is catering to kids that already have good edges and are good skaters. He openly admits he wants already established, high end players. Not a great development guy. If they stayed at a limited amount of reps, but at least he was addressing the kids to make adjustments instead of the absolute useless filming which is just for marketing, then it might be worth it. The filming makes it impossible for him to work individually with the kids to develop them. Nobody cares about the video except his Instagram account and maybe a couple of the Mom's so they can post on social media.

Cheap ice time with some drills, that’s it. It is pretty stupid that he spends most of his time filming players.

As others are saying, it’s great to get reps in when the crowd is lower. Kid should be a decent skater before showing up.

Cheap ice time? Wow. This is awesome. How much is one lesson? I want to look into it.

Mesi
Cheap ice time? Wow. This is awesome. How much is one lesson? I want to look into it.
30 for the hour but lots of waiting around. Age and skill levels are all mixed together so some do the drills quickly and others are slow due to age or skill level. Your basically paying to use the props and ice. No real teaching going on. It's decent for what it is though. Let's face it, team practices aren't always used for this type of training and not everyone has the available ice to do some of these stations. The kid are learning muscle memory by going through the obstacle course.

Muscle memory is so important. I make my son jump up and down a lot so someday he can dunk. Just kidding. But yes muscle memory is very important. Im going to check this out.

His instagram page has a lot of hype/followers...but he is former NHL player giving false promises to parents everywhere that their kids can also be in the NHL in an attempt to make money.

Just found his Instagram page. Its really cool. Why wont some of these kids make it to the NHL? We live in a great hockey area and have the best leagues, clinics and camps. Wouldn't those things produce NHL players? My guess is 1/3 will at least play NCAA hockey and maybe 1/4 beyond that.

Sure some might make it to the NHL...but you're crazy if you think anyone who does this camp will. If you have an average player sending them to a camp like that won't help.

It is good for higher end players that need some ice time to work on creativity and shooting of a move. Not good for primary development. He is a nice guy who connects with the kids well. He’s given my son some good advice on being a 2 way defenseman and boosted his on puck confidence. I think in a different setting he would be very good but the walk on skills are not going to do that. As others said too many kids and no correction outside of pushing their motor a bit.

That makes sense. I had only heard of him because I follow this kid who is amazing, lives out of state and I guess played on one of his elite teams. I then noticed this hockey factory program. There’s so many programs out there.

Mesi
Just found his Instagram page. Its really cool. Why wont some of these kids make it to the NHL? We live in a great hockey area and have the best leagues, clinics and camps. Wouldn't those things produce NHL players? My guess is 1/3 will at least play NCAA hockey and maybe 1/4 beyond that.
Can I have some of what you’re smoking? 1/3 of the kids will play ncaa hockey???!!!???