Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Am I going overboard?

#BURNOUTCOMING

I make sure he gets a lot of sleep so Im not worried about that.

Mesi
What team ?

Mesi
What team

Mesi
My 11 year old is playing for a couple teams this summer and will play in at least 25 games. In the fall we are having him skate with one team full time and two others part time. Hoping to get around 65 games in. Im shooting for 100 or more games over the next year so Ill probably have him fill in with other teams. Some say too much but I cant get enough of this hockey stuff. Yes, we play other sports too so dont even try to comment on that.
Skate him until he hates you and the game! Make sure to work in off ice lifts and no junk food. Under no cir***stances go on vacation without his gear so he can skate at the nearest facility. Your building a nhl star.

Anon
Mesi
My 11 year old is playing for a couple teams this summer and will play in at least 25 games. In the fall we are having him skate with one team full time and two others part time. Hoping to get around 65 games in. Im shooting for 100 or more games over the next year so Ill probably have him fill in with other teams. Some say too much but I cant get enough of this hockey stuff. Yes, we play other sports too so dont even try to comment on that.
Skate him until he hates you and the game! Make sure to work in off ice lifts and no junk food. Under no cir***stances go on vacation without his gear so he can skate at the nearest facility. Your building a nhl star.
Don't forget to tell everyone how awesome he is

I tell him he is so amazing. Encouraging him is critical as he makes his way into prep years. We went to watch an AHL game this past year and I kept telling him if he doesn't work hard this is where he will end up.

Anon
Mesi
We do work out. Its almost as if he likes the hard work. I watched a few Bruins practices this year and filmed them doing pushups.

Mesi
Anon
Mesi
We do work out. Its almost as if he likes the hard work. I watched a few Bruins practices this year and filmed them doing pushups.
I see the next McDavid in the making. Don't forget the army crawls at the end of each session, I mean does he really want it or not!

Mesi
Anon
Mesi
I am not sure what to make of this. This may be troll, but I'll give you my .02 If he "ends up" in the AHL? LOL- I don't think you understand how hard it is going to be for him to make a high level prep school team, let alone the chances of him playing D1/DIII college hockey which is extremely small. The chances of him playing in Coast are even smaller (AHL/NHL are even funnier). If your son wants to try to make it, great for him and you. Yes, ice time is important to develop, but when guys talk about burn out, they dont mean he's tired in the morning. Burn out comes from a lot of factors over the years and one you will want to guard against is you son getting sick of working hard when no one is watching when he reaches the age of 15-20 years old and the REAL work starts. Hopefully then he wont be sick of hockey. Good luck, but 100 games at 11 sounds like too much.

Anon
Mesi
Anon
Mesi
I am not sure what to make of this. This may be troll, but I'll give you my .02 If he "ends up" in the AHL? LOL- I don't think you understand how hard it is going to be for him to make a high level prep school team, let alone the chances of him playing D1/DIII college hockey which is extremely small. The chances of him playing in Coast are even smaller (AHL/NHL are even funnier). If your son wants to try to make it, great for him and you. Yes, ice time is important to develop, but when guys talk about burn out, they dont mean he's tired in the morning. Burn out comes from a lot of factors over the years and one you will want to guard against is you son getting sick of working hard when no one is watching when he reaches the age of 15-20 years old and the REAL work starts. Hopefully then he wont be sick of hockey. Good luck, but 100 games at 11 sounds like too much.
Burnout happens to the weak

Why are you having an 11 year old play that many games? If he wants to be a star he needs to put in that many practices. Players at that age develop far more in practice than they ever do in games, also considering that he won't be playing with the same players on any regular basis, how is he supposed to develop his hockey sense if he doesn't get any consistency?

If he just plays those games he will get into the lazy habits of summer hockey and you'll have to undo 25 games worth of it. There are so many better development opportunities than summer tournaments.

Sounds like you think this will make him better and that's why you put him in that many. If it was just to hang out with friends, that's a different story.

Not sure why people are hating on me. I want my kid to be elite. Nothing wrong with that or knowing my kid will make it to the highest level. 100 games is not too much either. I played street hockey every day growing up and never got burnt out.

if you have to ask if something is too much on a board like this then it's probably too much eh?

If your kid is good, they'll be good. No need to force it. I certainly don't think taking the summer off is the answer but 100 games sounds like a lot.

Mesi
Not sure why people are hating on me. I want my kid to be elite. Nothing wrong with that or knowing my kid will make it to the highest level. 100 games is not too much either. I played street hockey every day growing up and never got burnt out.
Whooooooooo you played street hockey.

ANON
Mesi
Whooooooooo you played street hockey.
right? oh street hockey, same thing

I hope you're joking but your reply states the problem. "I want my kid to be elite."

1) Your kid has to want to be elite, not you. Most kids think they do at first, but over time don't want to pay the price when they see how much of a grind and mental challenge it becomes.

2) Proper practice can help him improve, if it's proper. But doing all the extra credit in the world won't get a C student into Harvard. Everyone has their limit. Your kid will only get as good as he can be, not as good as you want him to be. Accept that and enjoy the ride.

Everyone is too gullible. This is obviously a joke

Made me laugh

Thank you

Parents create Instagrams pages and move to different states for their 7 yr olds who they think are NHL bound. I absolutely believed this.

I can't believe people fell for this... Ha pretty funny!

Mesi
Big ‘Tard Troll

Is your wife hot?

What better way to ensure your child looks forward doing homework, eating their veggies and chores around the house. Soon they will be asking to clean toilets and you're a genius!!

Mesi
If you have to ask then you're already aware that you probably are. By the time your son is 16 he will have some level of underlying hate for you if he doesn't already.. Good luck champ.

This was a funny read. But it's funny because it's awfully close to truth nowadays. Anyone bombarding their kids with multiple club teams in the winter plus tournament teams all summer long are destined to create the hockey version of Uncle Rico.