Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Kids who are in skills all summer

Anon
Sorry you can’t afford it

Ever think maybe they have family up there or go on vacation after ?
And they don't have family up there. It's allll for the Instagram account and hopes of as much exposure as possible for a 7 or 8 year old child.

I guess my question is why so many peopme worry about what other peoples’ kids are doing. Worry about your own kid. Every kid is different. Some love hockey to the point they ask for it constantly. Other kids prefer different sports in off season. Either way most won’t play past HS and of they are going to they will need to figure it out on their own at 13/14 years old because the work and commitment involved will require a lot of sacrifice with still no guarantees of success.

WGAS
I guess my question is why so many peopme worry about what other peoples’ kids are doing. Worry about your own kid. Every kid is different. Some love hockey to the point they ask for it constantly. Other kids prefer different sports in off season. Either way most won’t play past HS and of they are going to they will need to figure it out on their own at 13/14 years old because the work and commitment involved will require a lot of sacrifice with still no guarantees of success.
I guess I dont understand the huge investment parents put in on a 7 year old...and these aren't wealthy people. Just feels like a case of, I never did much with my life so I'm going to make sure my kids becomes a hockey star.

I too wonder why so many people here care what others do with their kids...but I have seen a few over the top things happening lately so I brought it up. I figured people here might get it since there's such disdain towards summer tournaments and certain skill workshops...but seems like now I'm getting the old, why do you care what other parents do.

WGAS
Some kids would have candy for dinner every night, but you don't let them because it's not good for them. Same goes for the excuse my kid is the one who wants to skate all the time.(which is usually a lie)

WGAS
Don't worry about what all these people are saying. Do 6 or more tournaments a summer. Ideal would be 8-9. Play on 2 or 3 full season club teams. Be an alternate on another. Spend the money on skills year round. All the major hockey countries are moving towards year round hockey. A few are even thinking that specializing in hockey at 7 years old is the best for the kid and his hockey future. Most importantly, please keep posting on Facebook every time your player is at a tournament. People love seeing youth sport obsession. Its a growing trend.

Anon
Anon

And they don't have family up there. It's allll for the Instagram account and hopes of as much exposure as possible for a 7 or 8 year old child.
Why do you care? Stop following them on Insta and get a life.

Anon

We can all afford it. We all know the crazy coaches and parents who will do anything for a tournament. I can show you about 50 emails from teams scrambling for players.

In general the people that post everything on Instagram and Facebook are the people whose kids really are not that good. They just want everyone to think their kid is good. If you win a tournament post some pics but nobody wants to know that little Johnny had 2 goals and 2 assists in a ****ty tournament game.

Anon
In general the people that post everything on Instagram and Facebook are the people whose kids really are not that good. They just want everyone to think their kid is good. If you win a tournament post some pics but nobody wants to know that little Johnny had 2 goals and 2 assists in a ****ty tournament game.
I think scoring goals can be noteworthy. Not saying it needs to go up on instagram...but it's possible to lose a game but still played well.

Anon
The best is the parents who post goal video's of little Johnny skating with his head down, not head manning the puck.

Just unfollow them and stop worrying about others, you will be happier.

Unfollowing and not paying attention is easier said than done. There's tons of people who post brag posts about anything on social media all day. Many of us would have very little friends if we unfollowed everybody who did that.

I agree that I think most folks who have their kids in hockey these days could afford to send them to Canada for a week long skills camp. Most people who aren't high earners or really into hockey never considered putting their kids in hockey in the first place. I know one mom who said they couldn't afford a hockey academy tuition but they seems to easily afford out of state and country teams/tournaments.

Anon
Unfollowing and not paying attention is easier said than done. There's tons of people who post brag posts about anything on social media all day. Many of us would have very little friends if we unfollowed everybody who did that.

I agree that I think most folks who have their kids in hockey these days could afford to send them to Canada for a week long skills camp. Most people who aren't high earners or really into hockey never considered putting their kids in hockey in the first place. I know one mom who said they couldn't afford a hockey academy tuition but they seems to easily afford out of state and country teams/tournaments.
Unfollowing is very easy. Delete Instagram, Facebook, Twitter from your phone and live your life not others. So by your comments you have no friends if you don't have social media? So you would lose friends in real life not pretend social media life?

Don't unfollow people, just quit social media. You will be much happier unless you replace the need for constant info streams with the news media. Then you should just #rope. There is a great big world out there worth enjoying that doesn't involve other people's daily lives streaming into your eyeballs all day long and every day.

Namaste

You must be new here to be calling out by name. I’m confused are the parents not good people? Seems like the kid is getting an experience this summer. Or is the problem that they’re posting ?