email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How much ice time is appropriate?

Anon
I am sure you will say, "He loves it and wants to do it", but the reality is that kids don't know when is too much. Keep going down that path and the kid will eventually have repetitive motion injury and will probably lose his desire to compete. By the end of the season when the child hits a plateau and the other kids love for the game boosts them through the year you will be questioning your decision. Unfortunately, it will be too late by then.
there was a kids who skate every day thread about a week ago and the OP got slammed and called jealous for disagreeing with parents who do this to their kids

It's absolutely correct that kids don't know what is too much.

This is insane and exactly what is wrong with youth hockey culture. The fear of missing out is out of control with this sport.

I agree. It's usually the parents who didn't play hockey that have FOMO.

Anon
11 almost 12 year old player. Trying to see what others think as his full-time team coach had some questionable things to say to me last night.

Practices 60 minutes two days a week with full time team.
Private 50 minute skill session one day a week.
Practices 75 minutes one day a week with alternate team.
Plays in 2-4 games per weekend depending on the schedule.
Consider quality not quantity. Quit the alternate team and cut games in half. Use the extra money and time on skills or another sport/hobby.

Anon
11 almost 12 year old player. Trying to see what others think as his full-time team coach had some questionable things to say to me last night.

Looks good I'd add in 1-2 days a week of crossfit at his age also. Try to see if you can do it on a practice day so he can keep 2 rest days a week.

Anon

He should lift weights and run every day too

If you need to come here to ask if it's too much ice time, it most likely is

anon
Anon

He should lift weights and run every day too

If you need to come here to ask if it's too much ice time, it most likely is
I disagree that it's too much if he's happy doing it. At that age, daughter's cohort of figure skaters got 10-12 hours of ice time per week plus 2-5 hours of off ice training, most of it before school. Overall this was a positive. All the kids that trained this much with her early in the mornings were self driven by that point and parents were just taxiing and writing checks.

If he's not in the driveway stickhandling and shooting without being prompted then he's on the ice too much.