Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: end game

ANON
Anon
The end game isn\'t prep. If you have a blank check your bender will be more than welcome at a prep. From there, they will scratch and claw to get minutes until they are a fifth year Junior, lol
Spot on with this. It's 68k to go to prep or 55k to go ISL/Prep. They can't give everyone free rides. It's no different than your youth team. Some kids get a free ride or discounted tuition but most are paying and some are paying full price. It's a budget. There are just not that many really smart and really rich kids (or really smart but poor to get aid) that can afford it. If you are willing to pay that cost there is a prep school out there willing to put your bender on the 3rd or 4th line. Hopefully that Prep school set's him up to get into a good college. And after those 8 years of spending 60k to 70k/year you are not broke and that you truly could afford it.

End game really should be that Junior understands how to be part of a team, how to work hard, understand that you will fail at times and have to get back up and to how build relationships. Maybe open a door that otherwise would not be opened. Anything other than that is a bonus.
here we go again. stop with the nonsense

Average prep schools admitting maybe 25% of applicants. The top schools probably closer to 10%. The data is out there.
Preps are giving 30% some sort of aid. Meaning 70% pay full price and they still many of these kids away. The top hockey schools will not give you a spot on any team just because you pay full price.

Anon
The end game isn't prep. If you have a blank check your bender will be more than welcome at a prep. From there, they will scratch and claw to get minutes until they are a fifth year Junior, lol
blank check guy is back.

Love the game

Then end game is to play a game you love for as long as you can. That means mens leage and or pick up skate later with lifelong friends. And enjoying it.

As a parent. It’s high school. Be happy with that.

Take a look at the low number of kids that are able to play prep.

I continually reminded my kid that being a high school captain and then Going to prep is more than almost every kid you played with whe you were younger and more than most kids will ever accomplish.

Beer league.

Hopefully to not work at a McDonalds drivethrough.

By the time my kids graduate there won't be a human even working at the drive through.

The end game in the years back was to dream of playing pro, now most youth parents just dream of their kid playing in college.
Not sure how playing in college is anything like getting paid to play pro hockey for a living, but expectations have changed.

Should have got him golfing sooner. Life long sport IMO. Hockey is a big ass grind.

I drive a solid hour to practice each way, get home around 10pm from practice on school nights with my little bender. My kid isn't allowed to play hockey with his friends he's far to elite for that. My kids going to the show!

Might be one the most truth filled answers ive seen on here.

End game is if jr is good they will all over you and if he is average , jump into the pool and fight for your child like the rest of us .

End game? Parents are delusional. Why are they so delusional in hockey?

I want my kid to be part of a team and something bigger than himself. I want him to learn discipline and to be accountable to others. I want him to learn to push himself and to sacrifice. I want him to have fun and want to play again next year. I want him to enjoy this unique period in his life, that he will never get to experience again. Life lessons...that's the end game. What a joke....

Anon
Just curious what is everyone's end game goal for their bender? A lot of jockeying for position on teams and leagues. Is getting into prep school #1?
When my kids' journey in hockey started (I have two who play hockey) my wish for them was to see them rise to the highest level that they were capable of. Back then, I believed that the most enjoyment for them would come from playing their best. To play at their highest potential, whatever that was. I invested in skills, clubs, and private lessons to help make that happen.

As time went on, both kids developed and became standout players in their own ways. However, I learned from other parents who'd "been there", that playing hockey at a D1 or D3 college/university has a drawback: you can't major in anything academically demanding and play for the school's varsity team at the same time. Maybe this is obvious to some, but this was news to me. And, neither of my kids is interested in the kinds of majors that are typically chosen by collegiate athletes, such as kinesiology, psychology, or sports management.

So, given that neither kid will go professional, and that academics will be their most likely route to success, my wish for them has become to enjoy playing for as long as possible before life's other demands take it away. Gone are the private lessons and chasing the elite teams, tournaments, and showcases. Fortunately, both kids made it to varsity in high school and are hoping to play for collegiate club teams for fun if their workload allows.

Today, playing for a team where they're happy and having fun is the end goal.

TLDR

Anon
Anon
Just curious what is everyone\'s end game goal for their bender? A lot of jockeying for position on teams and leagues. Is getting into prep school #1?
When my kids' journey in hockey started (I have two who play hockey) my wish for them was to see them rise to the highest level that they were capable of. Back then, I believed that the most enjoyment for them would come from playing their best. To play at their highest potential, whatever that was. I invested in skills, clubs, and private lessons to help make that happen.

As time went on, both kids developed and became standout players in their own ways. However, I learned from other parents who'd "been there", that playing hockey at a D1 or D3 college/university has a drawback: you can't major in anything academically demanding and play for the school's varsity team at the same time. Maybe this is obvious to some, but this was news to me. And, neither of my kids is interested in the kinds of majors that are typically chosen by collegiate athletes, such as kinesiology, psychology, or sports management.

So, given that neither kid will go professional, and that academics will be their most likely route to success, my wish for them has become to enjoy playing for as long as possible before life's other demands take it away. Gone are the private lessons and chasing the elite teams, tournaments, and showcases. Fortunately, both kids made it to varsity in high school and are hoping to play for collegiate club teams for fun if their workload allows.

Did you just try to win the Pulitzer with that post?

I want my kid to think he is better than everyone and look down on other kids.

$h!t, I just hope my kids don't grow up to be d i c k s!

anon
Anon
Anon
Just curious what is everyone\\\'s end game goal for their bender? A lot of jockeying for position on teams and leagues. Is getting into prep school #1?
When my kids\' journey in hockey started (I have two who play hockey) my wish for them was to see them rise to the highest level that they were capable of. Back then, I believed that the most enjoyment for them would come from playing their best. To play at their highest potential, whatever that was. I invested in skills, clubs, and private lessons to help make that happen.

As time went on, both kids developed and became standout players in their own ways. However, I learned from other parents who\'d \"been there\", that playing hockey at a D1 or D3 college/university has a drawback: you can\'t major in anything academically demanding and play for the school\'s varsity team at the same time. Maybe this is obvious to some, but this was news to me. And, neither of my kids is interested in the kinds of majors that are typically chosen by collegiate athletes, such as kinesiology, psychology, or sports management.

So, given that neither kid will go professional, and that academics will be their most likely route to success, my wish for them has become to enjoy playing for as long as possible before life\'s other demands take it away. Gone are the private lessons and chasing the elite teams, tournaments, and showcases. Fortunately, both kids made it to varsity in high school and are hoping to play for collegiate club teams for fun if their workload allows.

Today, playing for a team where they\'re happy and having fun is the end goal.
Clearly he went to college and you didn't and can't digest anything above 5th grade level.

But that guy is sort of right. It's hard to major in anything hard if you're a D1 athlete. But the flip side is, you can absolutely do economics or government (which most athletes in my, ahem, Ivy school did), and end up on Wall Street afterwards because that place is absolutely crawling with ex-jocks.

anon
anon
Anon
Anon
Just curious what is everyone\\\\\\\'s end game goal for their bender? A lot of jockeying for position on teams and leagues. Is getting into prep school #1?
When my kids\\\' journey in hockey started (I have two who play hockey) my wish for them was to see them rise to the highest level that they were capable of. Back then, I believed that the most enjoyment for them would come from playing their best. To play at their highest potential, whatever that was. I invested in skills, clubs, and private lessons to help make that happen.

As time went on, both kids developed and became standout players in their own ways. However, I learned from other parents who\\\'d \\\"been there\\\", that playing hockey at a D1 or D3 college/university has a drawback: you can\\\'t major in anything academically demanding and play for the school\\\'s varsity team at the same time. Maybe this is obvious to some, but this was news to me. And, neither of my kids is interested in the kinds of majors that are typically chosen by collegiate athletes, such as kinesiology, psychology, or sports management.

So, given that neither kid will go professional, and that academics will be their most likely route to success, my wish for them has become to enjoy playing for as long as possible before life\\\'s other demands take it away. Gone are the private lessons and chasing the elite teams, tournaments, and showcases. Fortunately, both kids made it to varsity in high school and are hoping to play for collegiate club teams for fun if their workload allows.

Today, playing for a team where they\\\'re happy and having fun is the end goal.
Clearly he went to college and you didn't and can't digest anything above 5th grade level.

But that guy is sort of right. It's hard to major in anything hard if you're a D1 athlete. But the flip side is, you can absolutely do economics or government (which most athletes in my, ahem, Ivy school did), and end up on Wall Street afterwards because that place is absolutely crawling with ex-jocks.
no sense of humor and you seem to be a real precious human being. In my experience insults aimed at others are usually reflecting your own insecurities. Now where did I say he was wrong - because I did not. I know some coaches restrict what majors you can take. But a friend's daughter went to Brown to play. Half the team was pre-med. so there's that. Have a lovely life.

Anon
Anon
Just curious what is everyone\'s end game goal for their bender? A lot of jockeying for position on teams and leagues. Is getting into prep school #1?

Are you kidding me?

D-1 athletes only take easy classes or majors? You don't have a clue what you are talking about

My son is a Sophomore D-1 hockey player as a top line D, studying Business Economics as a major with a 3.8 GPA that will be able to play for 5 years and get a masters for free

Yeah I really see the "drawback" that comes along with him playing D-1 sports

Sorry your kids just weren't good enough and you are knocking it all and saying this would be a huge drawback for them to play at that level

You are a clown

anon
Anon
Anon
Just curious what is everyone\\\'s end game goal for their bender? A lot of jockeying for position on teams and leagues. Is getting into prep school #1?
When my kids\' journey in hockey started (I have two who play hockey) my wish for them was to see them rise to the highest level that they were capable of. Back then, I believed that the most enjoyment for them would come from playing their best. To play at their highest potential, whatever that was. I invested in skills, clubs, and private lessons to help make that happen.

As time went on, both kids developed and became standout players in their own ways. However, I learned from other parents who\'d \"been there\", that playing hockey at a D1 or D3 college/university has a drawback: you can\'t major in anything academically demanding and play for the school\'s varsity team at the same time. Maybe this is obvious to some, but this was news to me. And, neither of my kids is interested in the kinds of majors that are typically chosen by collegiate athletes, such as kinesiology, psychology, or sports management.

So, given that neither kid will go professional, and that academics will be their most likely route to success, my wish for them has become to enjoy playing for as long as possible before life\'s other demands take it away. Gone are the private lessons and chasing the elite teams, tournaments, and showcases. Fortunately, both kids made it to varsity in high school and are hoping to play for collegiate club teams for fun if their workload allows.

Today, playing for a team where they\'re happy and having fun is the end goal.
Are you kidding me?

D-1 athletes only take easy classes or majors? You don't have a clue what you are talking about

My son is a Sophomore D-1 hockey player as a top line D, studying Business Economics as a major with a 3.8 GPA that will be able to play for 5 years and get a masters for free

Yeah I really see the "drawback" that comes along with him playing D-1 sports

Sorry your kids just weren't good enough and you are knocking it all and saying this would be a huge drawback for them to play at that level

You are a clown
if your son is a D1 player what brings you to this forum? To laugh at other parents ?

Business Econ is a joke pal. Lol. He was talking engineering or pre med

Anon Ivy dad
Tell me I have no clue without telling me I have no clue.

Anon Ivy dad
Pulitzer guy here. Absolutely talking about premed and the other STEM majors that require labs.

My benders goal is to meet a bunch of elite players who will have no work skills at 25 and hire them on the cheap.

Anon
Anon Ivy dad
Pulitzer guy here. Absolutely talking about premed and the other STEM majors that require labs.
yeah you definitely don’t get a good education if you are not taking a major that requires labs. whatever man

It is not your end game or goal. It should be up to your kid if they enjoy hockey and how far they want to go with it. Yes you should guide them but most of you hockey parents are obsessed.

what would everyone think of this situation- SUNY Potsdam 1st line or Tufts club team?

Anon
what would everyone think of this situation- SUNY Potsdam 1st line or Tufts club team?
Gut says Tufts no doubt. Assuming you are sure he gets in. But also depends what he wants with his life. And how much disposable income you have. You could go 4 years SUNY and then pay for a master at a good Uni of his chosen field.