Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: end game

anon
Anon
Anon
Just curious what is everyone\\\'s end game goal for their bender? A lot of jockeying for position on teams and leagues. Is getting into prep school #1?
When my kids\' journey in hockey started (I have two who play hockey) my wish for them was to see them rise to the highest level that they were capable of. Back then, I believed that the most enjoyment for them would come from playing their best. To play at their highest potential, whatever that was. I invested in skills, clubs, and private lessons to help make that happen.

As time went on, both kids developed and became standout players in their own ways. However, I learned from other parents who\'d \"been there\", that playing hockey at a D1 or D3 college/university has a drawback: you can\'t major in anything academically demanding and play for the school\'s varsity team at the same time. Maybe this is obvious to some, but this was news to me. And, neither of my kids is interested in the kinds of majors that are typically chosen by collegiate athletes, such as kinesiology, psychology, or sports management.

So, given that neither kid will go professional, and that academics will be their most likely route to success, my wish for them has become to enjoy playing for as long as possible before life\'s other demands take it away. Gone are the private lessons and chasing the elite teams, tournaments, and showcases. Fortunately, both kids made it to varsity in high school and are hoping to play for collegiate club teams for fun if their workload allows.

Today, playing for a team where they\'re happy and having fun is the end goal.
Are you kidding me?

D-1 athletes only take easy classes or majors? You don't have a clue what you are talking about

My son is a Sophomore D-1 hockey player as a top line D, studying Business Economics as a major with a 3.8 GPA that will be able to play for 5 years and get a masters for free

Yeah I really see the "drawback" that comes along with him playing D-1 sports

Sorry your kids just weren't good enough and you are knocking it all and saying this would be a huge drawback for them to play at that level

You are a clown
if your son is a D1 player what brings you to this forum? To laugh at other parents ?

Business Econ is a joke pal. Lol. He was talking engineering or pre med

Anon Ivy dad
Tell me I have no clue without telling me I have no clue.

Anon Ivy dad
Pulitzer guy here. Absolutely talking about premed and the other STEM majors that require labs.

My benders goal is to meet a bunch of elite players who will have no work skills at 25 and hire them on the cheap.

Anon
Anon Ivy dad
Pulitzer guy here. Absolutely talking about premed and the other STEM majors that require labs.
yeah you definitely don’t get a good education if you are not taking a major that requires labs. whatever man

It is not your end game or goal. It should be up to your kid if they enjoy hockey and how far they want to go with it. Yes you should guide them but most of you hockey parents are obsessed.

what would everyone think of this situation- SUNY Potsdam 1st line or Tufts club team?

Anon
what would everyone think of this situation- SUNY Potsdam 1st line or Tufts club team?
Gut says Tufts no doubt. Assuming you are sure he gets in. But also depends what he wants with his life. And how much disposable income you have. You could go 4 years SUNY and then pay for a master at a good Uni of his chosen field.