Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: winning every game or losing every game?

anon
As a youth (I'm talking 9 years old) is it better to be on a team where you win every game because your team is just the best in the league or is there a benefit to being on a team where you're not the best in the league and you lose basically every game ?

My son is in a situation where they win every game pretty easily. They will be in some upcoming tournaments with teams from around the state and country so they'll be challenged for sure then.
You should target a program where your child is an average talent player on a .500 team. The league, division, level of play should be in direct correlation to the players level of play.

Been on both sides of this and at this age it's better to be on the winning team. Kids don't have any fun losing every game and when it's not fun they don't want to do it anymore, and that's the worst outcome you can have. Sounds like they should be challenged in tournaments.

Thanks, yes it doesnt seem good to be on a losing team...but I do want to make sure he stays challenged. I think he will get that in the tournaments.

He has some very good players on his team and I'd say he is challenged by the other players on his team.

Most development happens in skills/practices at this age. Good coaches will keep their kids challenged and developing regardless of who they are playing.

I played 4 years of college hockey and two years of bad minor league hockey. Had seasons in my youth that were full of losses. Had others that were full of wins. Development came in all seasons lead by coaches that understood winning and losing is just part of sports. If you are stressed over a wins or losses, I would suggest getting him on a team that wins. If you are smart parent, you wouldn't worry.

Anon
I played 4 years of college hockey and two years of bad minor league hockey. Had seasons in my youth that were full of losses. Had others that were full of wins. Development came in all seasons lead by coaches that understood winning and losing is just part of sports. If you are stressed over a wins or losses, I would suggest getting him on a team that wins. If you are smart parent, you wouldn\'t worry.
As a parent I wouldn't want to pay for my kid to be on a team that loses every game. I've noticed parents also don't want their kids on teams who beat the other teams by a landslide. I'd rather have my kid on a winning team but of course how they're developing should be considered

Anon
Anon
I played 4 years of college hockey and two years of bad minor league hockey. Had seasons in my youth that were full of losses. Had others that were full of wins. Development came in all seasons lead by coaches that understood winning and losing is just part of sports. If you are stressed over a wins or losses, I would suggest getting him on a team that wins. If you are smart parent, you wouldn\\\'t worry.
As a parent I wouldn't want to pay for my kid to be on a team that loses every game. I've noticed parents also don't want their kids on teams who beat the other teams by a landslide. I'd rather have my kid on a winning team but of course how they're developing should be considered
You could just let your kid decide. Or is that going to make you stressed?

Bob
Most development happens in skills/practices at this age. Good coaches will keep their kids challenged and developing regardless of who they are playing.
Spot on.

Anon
Bob
Spot on.
Yes we are doing these other tournaments with teams outside our league/state to get more competition.

Anon
Anon
Bob
Spot on.
Yes we are doing these other tournaments with teams outside our league/state to get more competition.
Are we really talking about kids that are 9 that need to go tournaments for better competition. This is the dumbest post ever.

Let me guess. Your kid plays on an e9 team. Maybe BA. All the parents think they are the best then they play teams outside their league and get smoked. I have read this story before.

I'm not the OP but BA does often end up playing EHF teams and beyond. I think most parents are well aware that while BA is good other teams in the E9 aren't as good. It would make sense for E9 to play EHF teams but it doesn't sound like that will happen except for in random tournaments

Anon
Let me guess. Your kid plays on an e9 team. Maybe BA. All the parents think they are the best then they play teams outside their league and get smoked. I have read this story before.
Hey fool can you read ? That seemed to be the ops whole point. Their kid is on a team easily beating other teams and is worried they're not playing teams as good or better than they are

People wlll need better reading comprehension. They didn't seem to assume their team was capable of beating every team in the state

My son played on a 9 year old team that lost almost every game. Trust me you don't want that ever. Couple really good coaches were ganged up on by parents and eventually let go one after the other thinking someone new could somehow make a town team into AAA. Felt bad for them. Parents complaining everywhere, parents saying they knew how to change things around, parents saying they were leaving next game. It was just awful.

Yeah I've been on the other side too where my kids team had to play up a year because they were killing the teams of the same birth year. Parents also complained about there being no competition. I'd prefer being on a team that was winning but the leagues need to do a better job sometimes of making sure there is competition and that other teams aren't getting destroyed

There is nothing wrong with losing games.

It’s only bad when losing becomes the acceptable norm. Once losing doesn’t sting anymore the competitive nature dwindles.

Kids become accustomed to losing playing on teams that can’t win.

I have been through parents telling me that their kid is getting 50 shots a game so he is going to get better. Kid ended up being so comfortable giving up goals and losing he didn’t care anymore.

Or. Parents telling me that there kid is playing against the best kids and that is how they will get better. Kid ended up not knowing what to do with the puck after years of not touching it in game situations.

There's nothing wrong with losing games but if you're losing every game and are on one of the worst teams in the league and don't see things getting better, it could be time to find a different team.

At the younger ages (any age actually) losing lots of games can be demoralizing and the kids could lose interest. Why would an 8 or 9 year old want to keep losing? It can be hard enough to keep kids interest in something at all at these ages. Hockey takes up a lot of time and money. You want it to be worth it for everyone.