Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Alternates

I’d ask for proof of the rule and where you signed prior to this season beginning for that to be the case. I’ve only heard of this coming from one program on the “SOUTH SHORE!” Is it actually being said to anyone in other programs??. For any league to state that to kids until the age of 14 is quite ridiculous. They afraid they will get hurt? More kids get hurt in gym or recess. Let’s be honest. Or they afraid they’ll be poached??

Speaking for the 2013 level. EHF Elite. We have multiple full time kids on our team that are either Alts or full time with EHF teams. It’s a joke that parents think their kids needs more at that age. Problem is the parents are not going to budge regardless of an official EHF statement.

Cool rule. There are no skills or town programs within 30 minutes of me. Only ehf and e9 affliates. God forbid my kid skates more than 3 hours a week

Boondock bob
Cool rule. There are no skills or town programs within 30 minutes of me. Only ehf and e9 affliates. God forbid my kid skates more than 3 hours a week
As referenced above. It has to do with USA hockey rosters.

Now that rosters are checked after being submitted it comes up more and more.

I am only speak for one organization.

But I had a coach from another organization reach out and ask to sign a waiver so that they could be temporarily released to play for another team in a tournament but they wanted to keep him on the roster for rest of season.

That coach told parents this was fine.

We refused to do it. Parent was ****ed. Walked away. Demanded a refund. Was emailed a copy of the contract they signed that indicated they would not play for another program.

Parent came back following week and apologized and said that they couldn’t take him on the other team full time and also wanted him to pay.

I didn't realize town isn't governed by usa hockey.

That's an interesting story.

I'm of the opinion that at tryouts parents should be transparent about their other commitments and intentions. From their, it should be up to the orgs and coaches to decide what is acceptable. If it's blatantly forbidden, and they are sneaky, then they should have to deal with the consequences.

There will always be people trying to be sneaky

The question is what does one really get out of being an alternate for another team. It seems desperate

Anon
There will always be people trying to be sneaky

The question is what does one really get out of being an alternate for another team. It seems desperate
more practices, a few more games. to each their own

Issues with Alternates seem to come from two places.

Internally - Parents that don't like when alternate Alex bumps full time Timmy off the 2nd line.

Externally - When proud organizations that have parents with high expectations lose a game they should have won, because a stud alternate showed up. Or, when a team is bringing in imports, and listeing them as full time players. While they live and play 200 miles away monday-friday.

Where I come from programs require coaches to sign a certain number of kids. 2 Alternates = 1 full time player. Let that sink in. One, sometimes two alternates, at practice are essentially paying the freight for a kid that would otherwise be at every practice and game. Alternates usually make half the practices and can only play 10 e9 games. And 15 ehf games. No playoffs for alternates in either league. Usually those 2 alternates would both be better than last pick Luke.

If you are the proud parent of a 9 year old, who's incredible team loses in a nail-biter because alternate Alex or jet set Johnny got a hat trick, I'm sorry. But please put it all into perspective. It's youth hockey. We should want our kids having fun, while playing with and against great competition.