Fenton Historical Society Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message.

Forum: Fenton Historical Society Forum
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
the Traphagans of Fenton

Hello,
I have been a fan of Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings author of the "Yearling", "Cross Creek", and the "Sojourner" for many years. I have been to Cross Creek Florida and visited her home there which is now a museum.
Her story the "Sojourner" is about a farming family. She got her inspiration about farm life from visiting her maternal grandparents, the Traphagens who lived in Fenton.
I grew up in Linden but graduated (1966) from Fenton High School. While in Fenton one day (this was at least in the late 1980's) I stopped by the Museum to check it out. A sweet elderly lady by the name (I think) of a Mrs Richey met me at the door. We talked quite a while by the front door and then she said "I will leave you alone so you can look through the Museum, and if you have any questions please feel free to ask".
I knew that Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings grandfather Traphagen had been a principal or superintendent of Fenton High School. I was checking out the paintings of past Fenton HS principals when I turned to Mrs Richey (?) and asked...."Have you ever heard of Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings?" She responds with..."well I should...she was my Aunt" "Her mother and my mother were sisters.
After telling her what a fan I was of Marjorie, she told me when I was finished going through the Museum, to come into the office, she had some things she wanted to show me.
After speeding through the Museum I went into her office where she showed me many things from the Traphagens lives. Marriage licenses, letters, receipts, etc.
I'm not sure if you are aware of the connection between the Traphagens and the famous writer Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings or not. The reason I am writing to you is to let you know that the University of Florida is compiling everything connected to Marjorie K Rawlings. If you don't have a need to keep the Traphagen memorabilia you might consider donating it to the University of Florida.
If you've known all of this before my posting, I apologize for taking up your time.
I would be interested in hearing a reply, but if you're too busy I will understand.
Yours Truly...Susan Taylor

Email  
Report Content ·  · Free Blogs   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Tools   Free Web Hosting