Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Non payment child support and alimony in NJ (Probation Department)

Anyone in NJ have experience with a non paying spouse? My ex is about 8 weeks late on alimony and child support. I expected this kind of behavior, that's why I had payments go through the Probation department. Thing is, the ex lost his job a few months pack for cause. I had to intervene with Probation so that payments would continue from his unemployment disbursements. Then he got a new job, and payments stopped. I had to intervene again with Probation for payments to resume. Still waiting for that to happen. My experience so far is that the Probation case workers suck at their jobs. They won't do anything unless you call them, and then they will make one attempt to call you back. If you miss that call, you can't get a return call from them till the next day.

I'm wondering if I'll ever get those arrears back. Two of the 7 weeks are from last summer, just before the automatic payroll withdrawals happened. Probation said that they'd take it out of his pay, but that hasn't happened. I'm concerned I'll never get any of the back payments.

Re: Non payment child support and alimony in NJ (Probation Department)

Jo: I'm not from NJ but from a nearby State and have had experience with a spouse collecting Unemployment benefits. When we went to court, the Judge sent us home because he didn't have a job. I never got a dime when he was collecting Unemployment and when he did he and his Lawyer stalled for 9 months while I got nothing and was only able to work part time and ended up at a local food pantry getting food. You are lucky you got anything from an unemployed person. We learned not to depend on him (lost four jobs in 30 years).