Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Retired before marriage, spouse wants everything

10 yr Florida marriage, bought home with premarital funds, pay mortgage etc. Spouse lives in home and refuses to help financially. spouse makes 35000.00/yr. my premarital retirement is about 60000.00/yr. Spouse wants house, and alimony.

Re: Retired before marriage, spouse wants everything

Contact an attorney who will factor in the fact you are retired. Mine doesn't realize I am near retirement while my husband doesn't work, but spends the marital assets with a vengeance.
The upside are it's a 10 yr marriage and the spouse works. I hope you kept great records documenting premarital funds. Some banking institutions keep lengthy records, credit unions stink. You'll have to share a portion of the retirement. My husband is salivating waiting for half of my check for 25 yr. If he gets my pension, he'll get 38% and less for every year that I work. I'm a vital mature woman so I'll keep working for me and our daughters as they graduate from college and the great health benefits which he will not have. These laws were designed for the stay-at-home not the lazy men but many are benefiting. As far as the mortgage payments you were using marital assets unless you had a premarital trust from which you were paying the mortgage payments.
Retain a strong lawyer who will earn his/her money. Ask them how they would handle the situation. I latched onto a big name female attorney who is too busy climbing the community professional ladder and I'm now demanding counsel. I could have handled the correspondence as she has for thousands.
Good luck!

Re: Retired before marriage, spouse wants everything

Remember to change the ex as beneficiary, if he was made beneficiary upon marriage.