Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Divorce & Selling Family Home - Do Kids Adjust?

I am 95% sure that I’m ready to file from divorce. Of course this terrifies me. I am extremely worried about my kids and of course my husband, who loves me deeply and does not want a divorce.

My husband and I have been separated for 7 months (after being married 18 years). I left because I was tired of the emotional abuse, jealousy and manipulation. He is a “good guy” though, which makes this all so hard.

In my heart, I don’t believe my husband can change to the extent I need, in order to stay in this marriage. To me, it’s an unhealthy cycle of fun times, good times, reall, really bad times... then fun times, good times, and really, really bad times.

The one thing holding me back is our family home. This is where we raised our children. So many memories. I now have my own place but my husband remains in our home. We unofficially share custody 50/50 and still do many family things in the house. I can’t afford our very high mortgage on my own (California). My husband can, but he already said if we get divorced, he can’t stay there. Too hard for him with all the memories. This means we would be forced to sell.

Good-bye family home... good-bye to the kids bedrooms... backyard that they love... located right in the heart of our city so kids walk everywhere.

Has anyone gone through this? How did kids handle losing family home in addition to a divorce? Seems like a ton for children to deal with at once.

This is making it so hard for me to finally decide about a divorce. So hard!

Re: Divorce & Selling Family Home - Do Kids Adjust?

Felicia: Sorry you are going through this. Any man who is jealous, manipulative and emotionally abusive is not a good guy to me, but an abusive one. See a Family Lawyer ASAP. I'm a child of divorce. It was very hard even though I was 19 and my brother was 17. Mom sold the family home when my brother went off to college. She moved in with another guy a few years after the divorce and married him. I told my daughter (who was 18 when my ex left) not to get wrapped up in what we were doing but to enjoy herself - wish my parents had said that to me.