Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
kicking me out of the house

I live in Northern AZ in my mother in law's house. I a married to her son. Can he kick me out?

Re: kicking me out of the house

It depends on whether you and your husband are considered tenants. Do you pay rent? If you have something showing that basically you and your husband have a tenant arrangement than the property is then considered the marital home...and then no, he cannot kick you out of the marital home without a separation agreement in place which deals with the marital property. However, if you are both just in his mother's house...she can kick either one of you out at any time.

We don't pay rent, per se..house is owned free and clear. We pay the electric (alternating months) the water (community well once per year). The groceries, her phone and the satellite tv.

Hi!
In whose name is the house titled? It depends on many factors which can inflience the final court decision. Please read an explanation with more details here https://rightlawyers.com/my-house-get-out/. I hope he is just threatening, but if he really tries. Stay and don't move away. Get prepared and find alawyer or a divorce attorney.

The house is in his parent's trust. His father is deceased. She is 85 or 86. I'm here pretty much 24 hours a day (I work from home) and make sure she's ok.

I pretty much have decided that I'm staying put until I need to do something else. She was so upset that he locked me out one night that she showed me where the emergency key is...but said nothing to him.

My mom passed recently and I'm leaving my inheiretence in the trust until I know what I'm doing.

Just sucks.