Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
relocating when there is no custody order and father hasn't lived home state for 9 years

My husband is a self-professed transient who says he lives somewhere in the DC. He has lived there since he left our home state 10 years ago. I have raised our daughter (now 12) since then; he has provided support, but he is paying only half of the what court ordered. There is also documented abuse (which the court and GAL has no interest in) My daughter is justifiably terrified of her father and wants no contact with him. The court and GAL have been talking now for awhile about something crazy called reunification therapy. The case has been going on for 3 years. There is no custody order although the court has granted him temporary supervised visits to apparently determine custody. (in my opinion this is a no brainer, she's lived with me her whole life). We have have been staying months at a time in CT for work. I want to now just stay in CT permanently. Can I do that and tell the court too bad you lost your jurisdiction (in so many polite legal terms?)