Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Divorce...sneaky husband

My husband and I have been together 16 years but married 5 years. He retained an attorney in May 2018 and I received divorce papers in July 2018. We have been to court twice and have not been issued a divorce, first time the judge gave me more time to retain an attorney but I cannot afford it. 2nd time sent to mediation, this was in November 2018 and still no mediation.
My husband wants the divorce but we agreed to keep the house under both our names(odd, I know).
I just found out, that he has not paid any of my credi card bills and I am being sent to collections. Only payments on time are my car.
He adviced I should see a bankruptcy attorney. I feel this was a well thought out plan, maybe in removing my name on the house.
He doesn’t know I know this, but I recently found out his plans are to bring a foreigner from Central America on a K-1 Visa with future marriage.

Re: Divorce...sneaky husband

Cancel any joint credit cards you have so he doesn't use them on the new woman/himself. A Lawyer would tell you to do this. (The balance still has to be paid). Contact your local women's services center and/or domestic violence hotline to see if there is any free legal help they can offer. You are being financially abused so it's ok to call the hotline. If you still cannot get an Attorney, they Judge will decide.

Re: Divorce...sneaky husband

Sell the house split the profits or have him to buy you out so you can start getting back on your feet and yes cancel all credit cards remove your name off any joint account