Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What should I do first?

So I’ve been married for 16 years and have a 12 year old daughter. I can’t take it anymore. He is awful to me and we just don’t get along at all. I can’t live my life this way anymore. My daughter cried and begged me not to do this when I told her it was time. It’s not right to stay and have her have to listen to the fighting anymore.
What do I do first? Do I find an atty or so I file for custody or so I just go find a place to rent? We own a house. Not worth much and we do have a mortgage. I’m aware that in N.J. I am still reap for my share of the mortgage. So I’m guessing that means I have to stay here until the divorce is final because I certainly can’t afford a mortgage and rent. I’m just confused. I guess I do have to go see a lawyer. Can anyone tell me about divorce in N.J.?

Re: What should I do first?

stay strong and positive

get a lawyer asap.. they can really guide you on what to do.. get a living situation planned- can you stay w family or friends, get away from him while this legal stuff goes down.. change passwords, get your stuff out if you can as much as possible.. do whatever you can to keep your daughters life stable as possible.. get in with a church to help with emotional support.. do your research youtube has videos to help you take the steps you need to do.. try to do everything you can to get in front of this as much as possible.. these are just few things i can think of bc i was blindsided with my x kicking me out and taking everything i ever owned... i was left w nothing and had to start from the ground up every day i am working on things and its unbelievable so hang in there and i am sending you some hope your way.. xox

I definitely agree on the lawyer. You might also want to consider picking up this book, to prevent any unforeseen surprises:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1693393220