Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Love is Blind

You are never to old to do anything that makes you happy. There is no deadline to happiness.

Re: Love is Blind

I feel your pain. You describe your husband’s behaviour in a manner that is all to familiar to me as my own marriage is similar… have you looked up narcissistic personality disorder? If your husband has these traits it may be difficult for him to empathise with you and he may not see any need to change his ways. So it’s up to you how you live your life. If you keep going as you have nothing will improve you will need to continue to bite your tongue to keep the peace, at what cost to yourself though?
My suggestion if leaving is impossible or overwhelming for you right now (as it is for me - I have young children whom I can’t leave) then try claiming a bit more space for yourself in the relationship. This could be a stepping stone to building your self esteem up to consider leaving at a later stage. Options are moving into another bedroom, spending more time in another room or out of the house and reducing interactions, avoiding conversations or even eye contact. If he does start with the verbal outbursts dissociate - check out/stop listening or even walk off if safe to do so. Keep telling yourself that that is his opinion or his bad mood it doesn’t have to be yours. Meanwhile you could also look into some practical ways to start to separate your affairs from his. After 33 years together leaving will be a process so be patient and kind to yourself… baby steps to a happier life and freedom. All the best