Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Why I am still feeling sorry ?

It sounds as if he brought the situation onto himself by being so awful towards you and your children. Karma has finally caught up with him. Don’t feel sorry for him! Maybe, finally, he will learn to consider other people’s feelings, hopes and dreams.

You were married to him for a long time. You’re bound to still care about him. In my experience though, if you start visiting him, he will gradually find a way to start creeping back into your life. You’ve managed to get off the revolving hampster wheel of abuse (going round and round in circles, trying to meet his demands and stick out the situation, despite being unhappy). You finally have peace. Space. Time to think. The opportunity to be ‘yourself’ and to persue your hopes and dreams and explore what YOU want out of life, rather than what he expects you to accept. Embrace your new freedom! (We can’t move forwards confidently, by looking backwards!)

Focus on you. Focus on your relationship with your kids. Grow your interests.

Him? “He has no one to take care of him…” No wonder.
He’s had his chance. 34 years in fact, to change to being nicer, kinder, more compassionate and loving towards you; but did he? NO!

Choose your kids over him. You are all survivors of a narcissistic, controlling father and partner by the sound of it. He’s now lost some of his ‘power and control’ over you as you’ve moved on. He may have manipulated his friend into telling you he’s sick etc-narcissists enjoy the ‘game’ of somehow managing to pull their exes back to them. Once they have you though, they feel ‘victorious’ and the gaslighting and abuse (putting you down, neglecting you) etc, soon starts back up.

Good riddance to him. You deserve peace and happiness in your life now. Go forward and prosper! 🌸

Re: Why I am still feeling sorry ?

I think you are so brave for putting yourself first. I hope you start to heal and find inner peace with your decision.
I understand some of what you are feeling, I plan on telling my husband over the weekend that I am leaving. He is also controlling and we just have so many differences. I need to be with someone that brings me peace and joy, not anxiety and depression. I do feel an enormous amount of guilt though, that I should stay, even though I know I will never be happy. He is 44 but not great at taking care of himself, or not after me being here doing everything for him for 5 years.
I hope everything works out for you. Try not to feel guilty, you have to do what is right and best for your own mental health. He has the choice to change and find someone new. That responsibility is on him to do so, if he does not want to be alone.
Hugs