Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Financial worry

I’m going through a divorce, he’s agreed 65/35 split once the house is sold.
We’ve sold the house with an estate agent, and unfortunately the house prices have rocketed and I can’t buy a house in the area I want anymore, the market has gone up 10% and he still wants to go through with the sale even though we could make another 40k. I’m saying I won’t sell and to take the house off the market so we can re advertise in 1 month, and he won’t let me, so it’s a stale mate. He’s so bloody unreasonable, I think he will with draw his offer of a 65/35 split to put me under pressure to agree the sale, he’s so stupid we could get more money… how would you approach is moving forward ?

Re: Financial worry

Hi Sophie, I’d see a lawyer and get the split locked in legally. He can’t force you to sell if you’re still living in the house and if there’s no legal divorce agreement. I suspect he just ‘wants shot’ of the house and the relationship so is throwing caution to the wind, but if this means you won’t be able to get the current market value for the home, that’s pretty short-sighted and unreasonable on his part. If you could afford to buy him out of his share of the property at the lower value-that might be in your interest to do? Even if you only hold it short-term and then sell it for the higher value when it’s in your name only/the divorce is finalised? You could actually potentially gain financially that way?

What about any other assets like pensions, shares, cash in the bank, cars etc-have you had all the assets valued so you know the total asset ‘pool’ value, minus any debts like car loans, a mortgage etc? What’s the net asset pool you have jointly?

He sounds to be in a rush, so see a solicitor/lawyer to make sure you are getting an equitable split/settlement and get it court-finalised so he can’t come back in say, a year, and demand some money ‘back’ from you because there was no formal court agreement in place.