Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
California Divorce - Husband Avoiding Service

Trying to handle my California divorce through a paralegal service, and it's somewhat challenging.

My husband is dragging out the process by avoiding service. He works from home and refuses to answer the door. We still live in the same house due to finances.

If I'm at home, can I let the process server in and direct him to my husband's home office?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Re: California Divorce - Husband Avoiding Service

Hi Amanda,

I don't live in the US and don't know the answer to your question, however I just read the following about how to serve papers in California:

"A process server will usually make between three and five attempts. If your spouse is difficult to find or is hiding and evading service, then you may have to ask a court to allow you to serve your spouse by publication—which is where you post a notice of the divorce in a local newspaper."

The same website also suggests serving the person at a gym, or similar public space, if they frequent known places and are being evasive.

Good luck 🍀

Re: California Divorce - Husband Avoiding Service

Sounds like you will need representation. He is not going to make it easy on you. Believe me, I’m going through it now.