Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ex Getting Remarried and asks our son to be best man

Hi Everyone,

I'm really struggling with this news today. My ex and I recently divorced after 20 years and he quickly landed in a new relationship. Our divorce was just finalized after a 4-year separation. And now he's getting married in 2 months. Just when I thought I had stopped feeling the pain, he asked our youngest son, who is 17, to be his best man. Our youngest son is very close to me, and I'm struggling with this news. Both of our boys are indifferent to their dad getting married, and I know it's none of my business. So why does it hurt? And why would he do that?

I'd love to get your feedback!

Thanks!

Re: Ex Getting Remarried and asks our son to be best man

I think that's incredibly selfish and inconsiderate of your ex-husband!

A 'best man' is usually a friend the groom has known for years (work college or friend from school/college etc), not their own son (traditionally, anyway...)

What a awful situation the place your son in also :( Kind of making him choose sides...loyal to mum and her feelings versus loyal to dad and his newfound happiness.

It sucks. I hope your son says no and tells his dad that he doesn't want to have to choose 'sides' as he loves you both equally.

What a spiteful ***** your ex is :(

Talk about wanting to shove it in your face.

Re: Ex Getting Remarried and asks our son to be best man

Hi,

I think men tend to get remarried faster than women, they have a hard time being alone.

I would focus on feeling sorry for the poor woman who would marry a man so quickly who is recently divorced. It does not bode well for their marriage.

It is natural for it to hurt, but don't let that influence your behavior or choices. Rise above it. He will always be your son's father, so I wouldn't put a negative spin on his being asked to be the best man. Stay neutral and support your son on whatever his decision is. Give yourself the peace of mind of not worrying about it.

Wish him well and go on living your best life. You are well rid of him, so yay for that!

All the best,
Kelly