Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Divorce Mediation

Any Moms out there about to embark on divorce mediation? If so...

Do you know what to expect from the mediation process?
Have you thought about your best alternative to a negotiated settlement?
Do you know how to best influence the outcome of mediation?
What questions do you ask when hiring your mediator?

Most women go into the divorce mediation process blindly, thinking their attorney or their mediator knows best what's in your interest. Right? Wrong!

Even though both professionals are highly qualified in their areas of expertise, they do not always guide you toward the best decisions for YOU. That's where a certified divorce coach can come into play.

For the most part, attorneys are not financially incentivized to resolve divorce cases through the mediation process, but as more and more states are requiring couples go through mediation as a precursor to appearing in court, they have to direct their clients to mediation. Mediators, on the other hand are well versed in drawing up agreements, but not in what goes INTO those agreements. That is completely up to you and to your soon to be ex. If you don't have communication strategies with your spouse ahead of mediation, and you're not prepared to negotiate effectively during the mediation process the mediator can't really help you, and you'll be at a huge disadvantage.

I am a certified divorce coach, with special training in pre-divorce mediation coaching. Please feel free to post your thoughts in this Woman's Divorce Forum, or write to me directly at breakthroughdivorcecoaching@gmail.com. It'll cost you far less than an attorney and might help you prevent some costly mistakes down the road.

Hang in there, Marnie

Re: Divorce Mediation

An emotional ambulance chaser.

Re: Divorce Mediation

Yes, I'm here to get an idea of how mediation will work specifically in Texas, 1 child, and hopefully uncontested. I will be the one filing. It would really help to know what the forms will look like and what information we will need going into mediation. Thank you