Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
trolling speed

I have a 14 ft. aluminum boat with a 15hp on it. For trolling speeds what would you guys recommend a speedometer or a gps.

Re: trolling speed

gps.

paddlewheel speedometers are very un-reliable because of the engine being so close.

Re: trolling speed

GPS, my paddle wheel was off by as much as 1.5 mph , depending on the lake.as compared to my hand held GPS

Re: Re: trolling speed

Thanks to both of you for your responses, no paddle wheel for me. Now you mention a hand held GPS, can you recommend one for not a fortune. I am just getting into this salmon fishing and don't want to go broke, but I do want one that is reliable.

Re: Re: Re: trolling speed

Cabela's is have a big Lowrance GPS sale on some of there units The 4800 GPS I have is only $250.00 with the ant.I paid $500 That's as cheap as any Hand held you can buy.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: trolling speed

Thanks Erin I'll check it out now.

Hand held GPS

Boss Hog:

If you're going for a handheld I'd recommend the Lowrance iFinder H2O "c" for color. They are running just over $200 without the mapping package (more for topos, hiking, roads), or close to $300 with the "mapcreate" package. I have this unit and its awesome, very nice color display (go for color it is worth it). The nice thing about this handheld is it can use the Navionics Hotmaps "premium east" SD/MMC card, which has the detailed contour map for Winni. That map is...awesome.

Eric

Re: Hand held GPS

Thanks Eric for the info. I'll check it out.

Re: Re: Re: Re: trolling speed

eivins...do you still have that gps?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: trolling speed

Yes I do I have all the naveonic maps for it as well as the lowrance freedom maps.It has worked out very well for me the only issues I have right now is I can't get it to talk to my Furuno Fish finder I bought last year.I just wish it was color But that is a great price for this unit.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: trolling speed

Could you tell me if it has the map for West Grand Lake in Grand Lake Stream Maine?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: trolling speed

Sure I will look this weekend I have to put it back on the boat but it should be no problem I will let you know I don't think it will be on the navoincs map but maybe the freedom one.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: trolling speed

thanks Erin