Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: 5 HP too small for a kicker?

I,ve been using a 4 hp. two stroke on a 22 ft. center consule for seven years.Wind can be a problem, but can usually work around it. I do plan to set up to use a 9.9 this season so I can use either one depending on conditions. Cal P.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 5 HP too small for a kicker?

Thanks for all of the replies.

erbyjoe, thank you for the offer on that. Is mount so that you can use a smaller shaft on the kicker? I was planning on mounting to the side of the big motor on the transom directly. There is enough room to do this but will need a 20" shaft to get the cavitation plate level with the bottom of the hull.

For windy days I would likely just use the big motor like I have been. Just hate using it otherwise (fuel, noisy, wear, and overkill factors). The whole drift bag behind the prop thing is also a pain to deal with.

Now Cal, as everyone knows I believe in having "a spare" everything, but isn't a spare kicker (mounted) a little extreme, lol. I don't even have one.

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I,ve been using a 4 hp. two stroke on a 22 ft. center consule for seven years.Wind can be a problem, but can usually work around it. I do plan to set up to use a 9.9 this season so I can use either one depending on conditions. Cal P.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 5 HP too small for a kicker?

Actually John, that is how you add hp to your boat. And for that extra push, you get the passengers each a paddle and a round of red bulls. :)

Hi John..Big kicker is on the 14ft. pond boat.Would like to use on Yankee Native when windy, but I,ll have to figure out a steering system. May have to spend more than $10 on threaded rod, but hate to do that!! Cal P.

Replying to:

Now Cal, as everyone knows I believe in having "a spare" everything, but isn't a spare kicker (mounted) a little extreme, lol. I don't even have one.

John S.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 5 HP too small for a kicker?

I see said the blind man, you have a spare boat.

I plan to be at the Gathering around 9:00 to get a spot close to the door so I can meet people that have bought some of my used stuff without being a long way
from the hall. If I remember last year parking was tight.

So I'll see you there, you know my truck and I've been known to stand out in a crowd.

I'll have your planer reel and anyone else that I owe stuff too, look for me early, if not at least I'll be clse to the Hall.

John S.

Replying to:

Hi John..Big kicker is on the 14ft. pond boat.Would like to use on Yankee Native when windy, but I,ll have to figure out a steering system. May have to spend more than $10 on threaded rod, but hate to do that!! Cal P.

Replying to:

John S.

Replying to:

Re: 5 HP too small for a kicker?

I have a 9.8 extra long shaft electric start for sale, great kicker engine. Let me know if your interested and I can call you with all of the details

Re: Re: 5 HP too small for a kicker?

I have a 5 hp 4 stroke w/ long shaft on da Tank (a 20 ft. alum w/ cuddy cabin) & it works great. Made up a steering link arm myself outta a hunk of angle, 2 air chuck fittings and turned down cone nuts. If your interested in details give me a shout. IMHO you do need a standoff bracket for da kicker (rather than mounting it on da transom.) Otherwise you'll have problems w/ turning as the 5 hp has to turn at a much greater angle to move the boat than a bigger hp mtr. The further aft location of the kicker in relation to the big motor makes the link arm work right. & Do get a controlking (the single best thing I ever did on da Tank.) My cell (603) 313-4030

All the best,

Gary

Re: Re: Re: 5 HP too small for a kicker?

Thanks for all of the replies. Been sick and just able to see again. Wow, did that suck.

Anyways, I"m close to getting a motor. But it appears to be a super long shaft (or i'm measuring wrong) at 23". Does that sound right for a 5HP Mercury?

Yes, the engine I have is 23" shaft and it is a 9.8 HP.

Sounds like you either need a extra long shaft motor or a drop down bracket for it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 5 HP too small for a kicker?

Actually bought the one I have been looking at. It looks like it is going to fit. And it is a 20 inch. I guess you have to measure from where it will be mounting to the cavitation plate. On the 4/5 hp models this is a bit lower than the base of the motor. which is fine by me as it gives me more clearance.

AGain, thanks for all of the replies on this.

-Brian