Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: winni wonders

I've tried small circle hook but they just don't have enough gap to get into the jaw of a good size fish.

I think John Viar and Don Miller would be proud of you fishermen for giving so much consideration to the problem.

Now, what if we keep the hook damage problem on our minds for the entire season and I'll bring the problem up next fall. It would give us a lot to talk about while we wait for the ice to form.

Dick

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: winni wonders

I think that it is as important as the hooks for the release of our fish as to how we release them.
Many times, I'm also guilty of this, we just flip the net over, and we see the salmon go belly up. If we took a minute or two to revive they when putting in the water, this would also save some fish for later.

(When they go belly up when released does anyone know if they revive by themselves????)

Louis

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: winni wonders

Good question Lou, as you know many times with me we see one (keeper size) belly up. We turn around and try to get to him and just about 100% of the time they within a short time they come around and are gone.

I too wonder if these make it or not, I don't think I've ever had one still belly up after we turn the boat around, lol. Seems like they wait til we make a move and they go back down.

When you comin back, these new riggers are sweet, should be the b--- on Squam, I might have to sell all my spare rigger balls, lol. I can't wait..

Let me know when you are back and we'll get you out on Winni while we have it docked there.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: winni wonders

I was told by a reliable F&G person that the single hook is easily inhaled and wounds the fish more than a treble.