Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Squam weekend reprt

Two absolutely perfect fishing days to be on the lake, cloudy, overcast slight chop one day, less the next.

Sunday, live bait (had to try it) 4 lines, 4 hours ($12.00, all dead by 10:30) not a bite, 4 more hours with streamers, 3 ldr's, knot came loose, not my knot of course ???????????

Sunday, 3 streamers, 1 spoon, 4 lines 7 hours, a small Bow and one 3 yr old Salmon, 21", less than 3 pounds (we have a few junk Salmon too) inhaled my Cee Dee Big John streamer, harvested it, other Bow caught on Needle Smelt streamer by Cee Dee ?????? Huge May Fly hatch, saw big fish rolling on the top sipping flies all morning Sundau. Tried small emerger flies 1/2 color down for a while on pumpers and jig ball, nothing.

Two fish caught were at about 20 and 28 feet, 1 on G2 Quick Jig Ball and one on Jim's Rod Pumper.. Marked tons of fish working the May flies at about 20 feet. Finally convinced May Flies "CAN BE SEEN" on the sonar, seem to be very small (tiny) suspended bait pods, 100's of them, marked in the top 20 feet of water mostly, been marking them since the hatch started a few weeks back. Water temp on the surface was 74 degrees. Did not send the probe down, will on the next trip, but I suspect 55 degrees can be found at about 32 feet big lake and 22 to 28 feet on the small lake.

Will be on vacation from July 1st to July 11th, will be looking for partners if anyone is interested, most beautiful lake in NH to get skunked on.

Word must be out on Squam, we only saw one other boat (Dr Tom) Saturday, pretty sure we were the only two boats trolling Sunday too.

Fished with a new guy to the message board Sunday, Doug Elkin "Lefty", a former converted Bass angler from Littleton, NH, had some great conversations waiting for a bite, the message board continues to bring new friends together on the water, thanks. Lefty keeps a boat on Squam, I'm sure we will fish many times together again in the future. He liked the Digitrol IV's (super on Squams tough bottom) will be shopping and ordered a G2 Jig Ball, he liked the rod pumpers very much too. I also think we converted him to streamer fishing, with streamers you can effectively fish allot faster (2.5 to 3) and cover allot more water. Lefty is a self proclaimed gadget guy, so he had lots to see on The Barge, a very enjoyable day in spite of the continued slow bite.

Hatch should be over soon and hopefully the bite will improve for my 10 day vacation, usually does.

Re: Squam weekend reprt

Thanks again, John for the day on the barge. Was great fun and I enjoyed picking your brain. Especially good to learn about the fin clip details.

Didn't waste too much time - scooped a brand new Digitrol IV on Ebay for 800. No XDucer, but got one coming from Anchor Express for 80 bucks. Hope to be set up by July, would be great to have it to play with for vacation.

Now, gotta start thinkin about a rod pumper, LOL.

See ya on the pond next week.

Re: Squam weekend reprt

Leftyyyy
Thanks again, John for the day on the barge. Was great fun and I enjoyed picking your brain. Especially good to learn about the fin clip details.

Didn't waste too much time - scooped a brand new Digitrol IV on Ebay for 800. No XDucer, but got one coming from Anchor Express for 80 bucks. Hope to be set up by July, would be great to have it to play with for vacation.

Now, gotta start thinkin about a rod pumper, LOL.

See ya on the pond next week.

Good deal on the Digitrol IV, don't leave home without one if you fish Squam. Give me the details later, I spoke with Jim about a Rod Pumper, give him a call someday and work it out with him. You have a G2 Jig Ball coming, all you need now is a bunch of Streamers.

I'm a bad guy to fish with unless you have an unlimited expense account or a rich wife. I've been "helping" people spend their money for years, actually have got quite good at it too, ha,ha. lol.

Next time we fish, I'll give you a crash course, I'll drive and you can run the riggers, they do "allot" more than we used them for Sunday, the manuals are not that great. I don't have many guys lined up yet for the 11 days I'll be up to the Lake, see if your boss will give you Friday off for starters, I've met him he aint a bad guy.

Big John