Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Message board

Bill if the old posters don't come back we will have to go with those that are willing to partcipate now.

Besides maybe a few of those that left were part of the problem, maybe some feel I am part of the problem, as I do more posting than most anyone else.

I can remember when Craig (Slipknot) used to reply to allmost all the post with some **** good comments and advice, this advice is sadly missed. But I also know where he was coming from, I was one of the people that made him feel torn in different directions and maybe helped turned him off. We were best friends and then it went sour for a few of the reasons he mentioned, by me sometime divulging others secrets, etc. I'll leave it at that. I'd love to see Craig start posting again, but I doubt he will, he has good reasons. We are still friends, maybe not as tight as before, but friends.

In my opinion, secrets are bul----, this site was supposed to help folks until some felt people were getting to good at fishin. So then it was don't let out too much info, to the point of decieving people who came here to learn. IN MY OPINION, THAT'S WHEN THE BOARD "STARTED" IT'S SPRIRAL DOWN, WHEN EVERYTHING BECAME A BIG SECRET, NUMBERS, SCENT, NO SCENT, BLADES, NO BLADES, etc, etc.

Then followed the name calling and people busting Trav's cookies, etc, etc. and the final straw was when Fish and Game wanted to "adjust the pressure to the fish" instead of the "fish to the pressure". Everyone had their own agendas then when they thought they might loose what they had. NHSA was formed and as far as I know is not active anymore.

We all know this and everything else that was said by a few others earlier, lets let it all die, "except the message board". We don't have to drag out all the reasons why it's "not what it used to be". Let's try and "make it like it used to be" with the good folks we have now and maybe a few that are sorely missed will come back too ????

We need:
Reports (good and bad)
Methods (spoons, flies, blades, scent, etc.)
Numbers (good and bad, maybe some restraint here so as to not slight those that are just getting into it)
Colors
Water Temp
Depths
Salt, Champlain, Big O, Sebego and hopefully some local lakes too, it's all fishing. These are the types of things that made the board so great in the past.

The reports started coming in earlier today and now I sense maybe a few steps backwards. Lets look forward again, not backwards.

My intent was not to slight anyone, if I did I am truly sorry. I'm taking a break (vacation) and hopefully the board will take off again. No more soap box speeches from me, only reports and advice if I feel qualified to give it..

Thanks again for what seems to be a sincere intrest by all to "rev up" the message board.

Big John

Re: Message board and John's good initiatives

Dear friends and angling colleagues,

I'm over in Munich Germany where I teach 6 months of the year and where my new bride lives and that is my main reason, as an old angler, for not posting much recently. But when I'm at my 140 Bear Island hide-away and fishing most evenings, I do read this Forum and post both "catching" and non-catching "fishing" reports, though I must honestly confess to more "fishing" than "catching." Happily I have missed some of the unfortunate, toxic bickering discussed in this thread. But you know, that kind of thing happens in all relationships from marriage, to friendships, to blogs like this. John is right. Time to get over and beyond it and salvage all the good that this forum has and can have. One good which has been spawned by this forum is the establishment of a comunity of retired anglers, the Retired Fishing Partners (RFPs) who, on fixed incomes, communicate in our own forum when we have open spaces on our boats for others to join us for angling fellowship. This fine group is full of Master Anglers!

I refer many anglers, both novice and experienced, who contact me because they may or may not have read my book, to this site for up-to-date info on Lake Winni salmon fishing. We have here an excellent site -- especially for the novice just facing the challenge our big lake poses to a new angler. This site can save years of "learning curve" on trolling for salmonoids.

I was recently asked to author a 16-part series of on-line articles on the Master Anglers of Lake Winni -- mostly excerpts from my book, Angling in the Smile of the Great Spirit -- for the Lake Winnipesaukee Travel Guide (http://www.lake-winnipesaukee-travel-guide.com/lake-winni.html). I decided to plug our www.fishlakewinni.com site as the best, honest source of information for new Lake Winni anglers.

I know, there are many other of you Master Anglers out there (like John, and the others posting here) other than the original 15 in my book and in this series I mention a few others. The original 15 Master Anglers have over 600 years of angling wisdom and experience fishing Lake Winni. If you add the regulars here to that figure it will be over a thousand years of experience. Where else can one find such a concentration of wisdom in one place!?

The introduction to the series plus the first few articles -- leading with those three Master Anglers who have sadly passed on: Paul Phillippe, Barbara Cotton, and Al Stewart -- plus the one on Bill Martel are already up, or soon will be. Remember that Trav Williams and Jay Parent are among the original 15 Master Anglers and the stories, excerpts from the book, on each will follow in this series.

Hopefully this on-line series, along with my book and DVDs, will preserve a slice of the colorful history of angling in Lake Winni of which you are also a part.

But this great web site is the living, changing, on-going, vibrant day-to-day tale of angling in the "Big Lake" -- the history as it is being lived and written today. Don't let it die!
Warm wishes and good luck out there!

Hal Lyon